The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dyson vs. Shark

Input?

I think I killed our little Dyson. It worked well enough, but I had been wanting something stronger and had been considering the pet hair model - until I saw the Sharks and their much lower price tag. Has anybody used the bigger/more powerful dysons AND the Sharks to compare?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

i would be interested in this also.....

My sister-in-law has a Dyson and I have a Shark. While I do like the Dyson (she has one of the ball ones), it honestly does no better at actually picking up stuff than my Shark. To me, I'd rather spend the money on the Shark than the Dyson...but I'm also a cheapskate

There may be other Dyson models out there that work better.....but my little Shark has dealt with everything from dog to horse to feathers and hasn't given me any opposition yet! Plus, it's SO much lighter than the standard Dyson!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a Shark as well and I love the simple design and the fact that almost every component can be taken out and cleaned when needed. It does a great job with dog (and horse) hair.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

We have always had a rainbow which the first one lasted for over 20 years. We got another but then my mom wanted to try the Dyson. I made her take it back immediately. It was so heavy and really didn't do a good job. We now live in a smaller apartment and the rainbow is just not practical so we got a shark. I really like it and easy to get around in tight spaces. My vote is for the shark.

I have the Dyson animal and I LOFF it!

I bought it in 2004 and its still going strong! For the first 4 years of its life, it cleaned my wall-to-wall carpeted one bed apartment in which a rottie, a shepX, 2 DSH and one maine coon cat plus myself lived in. Hair city

No experience with the shark, but 4 vacuums died valiantly trying to clean that apartment before I got the Dyson.

Had a Dyson, liked it ok, it died. Got a Shark and love it sooo much! I love the way it pulls along the carpet, so much easier to push around. I have had zero issues with my Shark and had a number of small problems with my Dyson. I will never get another Dyson and the Shark costs less! Now I have my little twins, Shark vac and Shark floor steamer, I loff them!!!!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Friend of mine has a cheapo cordless Shark with two cats and loves it. She doesnt have much in the way of carpets though, although her bedroom is wall to wall very pale; the Shark keeps it looking great. It's also very, very light.

I'm also needing a new vacuum, and the Dyson price is ridiculous, as is the weight.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Love my Dyson! My mom has the animal and she went over her carpet after the cleaner had Just vacuumed with the central vac and was blown away by how much she got out of the carpet. She is in love. The suction is amazing.

Did ALL of the research on this over the summer. Review after review after review was read, youtube videos were watched, hours were spent pondering the pros and cons of each brand of vacuum over bottles of wine in dimly lit rooms (okay, the last part is only partially true). But seriously, I was a little unreasonable about deciding between a Shark and a Dyson this summer.

I got the Shark Navigator Pro. And I now regret all of the time I spent actually considering the Dyson because the idea of spending $600 on a vacuum is utterly ridiculous after spending $180 on the Shark.

My Shark is amazing. It's sturdy, the suction is every bit as strong as my mother's Dyson Animal (except for that my Shark is much lighter, much easier to "navigate", much easier to get the attachments off of, much easier to empty, and generally, much easier...). I hate cleaning, but I actually vacuum 3-4 times per week because it's so easy with the Shark.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

I have the Hoover WindTunnel PAWS, and it's so much better than the Dirt Devil (which I killed) and the Oreck (which might as well not be turned on.) Thought about the Shark, but the Hoover was on sale. Dysons I've never seriously considered because of the price tag. I swear the Hoover's getting stuff the previous two vacuums have missed, and with four cats and two dogs, that's a lot of hair.