The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Affaire, worth it?

Is it too late to plan on going?

I usually go to the Royal winter fair at this time of the year; I know the people, the vendors, where to eat, what to do when, where to sit in the coliseum, get the full access bracelets, etc.

I looked at the Equine Affaire website and the general admission tickets are now only sold at the door. Will I need to buy them really early in the morning and wait for hours?

Do the gen. tickets give you access to all the clinics/shows during the day?

I don't think I can get the Fantasia tickets no more? Which day to attend anyway?! Is it the same show every night?

Where to sleep?

Park there or take a cab?

Anything I should know?

Maybe I should plan ahead for next year...

I've always bought my tickets at the door and never had to wait. The tickets have always allowed you access to whatever clinics or presentations were going on, but I didn't look at the web site this year, so I don't know if that's changed. It does look as though Fantasia tickets are no longer on sale, but you can always ask when you get there.
    I live locally, so I don't know anything about the hotels, but Springfield's a small city with the usual name brand hotels.
    I would park my car there, because while you could get a cab from the hotel to Equine Affaire, getting a cab back might be tougher, it's not really on a street where cabs just drive by.
    I like to go on Thursday, when it's less crowded; I save a vacation day for this every year.
    It's very much the same from year to year, so if you don't make it this year, you can plan ahead for next year.
    Best tip: Bring cash only for the most you want to spend, so you don't get carried away

I've been going for years, now with a friend whose brother lives nearby so we don't have to do the hotel thing. I have gone for 4 days once or twice, but by Sunday was so pooped out and shopped out that I left early.

Your ticket allows entry to everything, including C barn. They have added a bunch more booths over the past couple of years, so there are more vendors than ever. There is no Versatility Challenge this year so they could add a few more clinics.

Fantasia tickets are probably sold out but you often can find them at the information booth, depending on what night you want.

The lines for admission tickets are not that bad. We happen to buy tickets online so we don't have to wait. The worst traffic is on Saturday morning if you are coming from the Mass. Turnpike.

I don't know how it compares to other horse expos, but it's certainly the biggest in the east.

Fantasia is the same show every night. Sometimes people are standing outside the entrance that night selling their spare tickets.
    I always buy my general admission tickets when I get there, and never had to wait more than 2 minutes.
    Their site has hotels listed.
    I'm trying to have a COTH meetup...thread elsewhere on Off Course....

Thanks for the answers.

I was planning on getting there on thursday afternoon and leaving sunday in the morning. I checked the clinics and there's a lot a interresting stuff going on!

I'll buy the general admission tickets there and call for the Fantasia show, if they no longer have tickets available, I'll stand at the entrance like HPFarmette suggest!

I'm now looking at the closest hotel I can find, in order to avoid the traffic!

Can't wait to see all that!

Go to the info booth too, like walktrot said, people put up signs with a phone # if they have Fantasia tickets to sell.

I have it on good authority that Fantasia tickets are still available for Thursday and Friday, but people will be selling Saturday tickets at the event.

General Admission is good on everything but Fantasia, and they never sell out of those.

i loved the shopping at Eq Affaire. Went to the one in Ohio about 12 yrs ago.

I'll be there Saturday, still trying to plan a COTH meet-up......