The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clasp for Grazing Muzzle?

My horse has a grazing muzzle like this one and has broken one of the little prongs on the clasp so it won't stay on now. Anybody know where I can get a replacement so I don't have to replace the entire thing?
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

No, it's not the metal part that hooks by the cheek that's the problem. It's that plastic clasp up higher on the part that goes over the head. It's like the kind of thing on a lot of backpacks and dog collars with the three prongs you squeeze together to make it 'snap'? one of the prongs on the side is broken and it doesn't snap properly anymore.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I had the same thing happen and was able to salvage the same sort of plastic buckle from an old Saratoga fly sheet to replace it with. Not that it helps you, unless you happen to have one laying around! I'd think a big sewing/fabric store might have them as that sort of plastic buckle is used on a lot of non horsey things like camping or kid gear. You might not find an exact match, so that would mean replacing both sides of the buckle, but pretty easy to do.

Default replacement claps for grazing muzzle

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    My horse has a grazing muzzle like this one and has broken one of the little prongs on the clasp so it won't stay on now. Anybody know where I can get a replacement so I don't have to replace the entire thing?
    These usually come with an extra clasp. Google the manufacturer, they should sell the parts. I have had to replace the clasps several times.

Horse Tack International sells the replacement snaps! I buy about 10 each year, and use them as my QH embarks on a mission from God to destroy his muzzle. I thing they're around $3 each. Much cheaper than buying a whole new muzzle.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballygrace View Post
    These usually come with an extra clasp. Google the manufacturer, they should sell the parts. I have had to replace the clasps several times.
    Best Friends does not sell replacement buckles separately, at least they did not this summer when I contacted them. I think they are missing out on a market option.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Horse Tack International sells the replacement snaps! I buy about 10 each year, and use them as my QH embarks on a mission from God to destroy his muzzle. I thing they're around $3 each. Much cheaper than buying a whole new muzzle.
    Thank you, I will have to look into this.

ETA - Here is a link to the place Pony suggested.
    I find it interesting that when I contacted Bestfriends they said they did not sell the buckles separately. Hmmmm....

Valley Vet sells the replacements too, for $2.95 I think.