The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New FEI rule proposal

Are the dressage people talking about it? What are your thoughts?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Link/Text?

http://www.hoefnet.nl/en/home/site/n...ctioned-events

Basically it says that if you are an FEI competitor you will no longer be allowed to compete at non FEI events. It appears that since USEF is our National Federation you can compete in USEF events without sanction.

At least I think that is what it says
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

It appears to say that riders are restricted to ( country) Federation or FEI approved shows.

I would ask if they mean a rider horse combo declared to be FEI participatnts ( passports).

I doubt many elite FEI horse rider combos are going to their local schooling show, I have seen Elite riders at dressage schooling shows with greenies.

Sounds very poorly considered and VERY punitive to riders from countries where shows/training opportunities in general are hard to come by , let alone federation / FEI recognized ones.

I would ask how they define these riders. Is it anyone who has ever joined or registered with the FEI so they could ride the PSG I-1 classes at a CDI? This is an example of what happened here with the CDIs held several years ago. I doubt many of those riders ever maintained their memebership

I think they will find many riders of this ilk dropping memebership and skipping the CDI ( a VERY costly loss to the sponsors) .

Plus the average person who runs a local schooling show ( of any discipline) is highly unlikely to know or care about the FEI rules ( let alone USEF). Here, it will likely turn into rat out your fellow competitor stuff.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

1 members found this post helpful.

It also includes officials, which could have significant impact. Would this mean an "I" or "O" judge could not give a clinic?

I know quite a few trainers in my area who attend the schooling shows with their young/green horses along with tune ups for their experienced horses. There is a fantastic local jumper series around here that my trainer will sometimes attend.. not to mention the dressage shows she will participate in to practice her tests before a big show. This proposed rule is RIDICULOUS.

2 members found this post helpful.

Or does this mean events like stallion shows??? (It cannot be 'schooling shows'....)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

So if I'm showing I-1, I can't show my friend's Quarter Horse at an AQHA show? Where's the fruitbat?

IF a rider lives in a country w/o sanctioned events then they cannot show??? What happens if the national FN has problems with getting on the FEI calendar? More $$ and shows for judges OR less riders in national shows.....stupid or $$$$ for the fei shows??

It cost a MINIMUM of $30k+++ to hold one if all things are cheap...who can do this?? Ok we got Glock now....perhaps they can pay for all the shows. (roll eyeballs).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Interesting.

See also the eventing forum
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

TrakHack that is an interesting twost

symposia, Charity demos ( think Diva and Diamonds), learning forums

how are they defined

they are not competition certainly but they are riding opportunity for the advance horse rider team.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

i dont think this has anything to do with schooling shows - but instead non FEI sanctioned FEI level competitions - so national level events...

basically this is a power/money grab by the FEI.

so much for competition!

i believe the FEI is trying to get more money and wants to control the words/letters/terms "FEI" and have it trademarked (they probably already have) so that anyone showing "FEI" level must only show at FEI sanctioned events....

the day the FEI became a business until itself is the day this all started falling apart.....

we need a fair and unbiased (and non monetarily motivated) federation to over see competitions....

2 members found this post helpful.

Maybe it's time to bring back the idea of the Fifth Level tests from some years back. Essentially FEI level tests written by the national governing body (well, by the AHSA at the time).
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

The wording states you can't "participate in both sanctioned and unsanctioned events." And, it goes on to say that "An unsanctioned event is an event that is not on the FEI calendar and is not authorised by a National Federation."

It doesn't say "your" National Federation - just "a" National Federation.

This has been in effect for officials forever in Canada - they can't work at a show that isn't part of Equine Canada or a provincial federation.

Yes, it is a money grab - but really more a controlling mechanism that prevents an organization rising up as an alternative to either the FEI or the National Federation structure.

This would be truly critical should the Olympics drop equestrian sport. That is because the true - and really the only power that the FEI has - is the power to determine the national federations that have the right to determine which athletes compete at the Olympics. It they lose that power they lose the ability to control both athletes and officials. (Right now, if you don't play by the rules you can be blacklisted from the Olympics.)

They already have 'taken' that power....sue them for their incorrect application (and the nice woman from the DR who DID play by their rules) and win...and you stilllllll lose. Lack of clarity and lack of any control by national bodies, and remove stakeholders from any influece.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Time for Haya to boot equestrian out of the Olympics

http://eventingnation.com/home/appar...ing-shows.html

From the FEI:
    The new rule does not apply to any competition that could never be considered as ‘International’. So small shows, Society shows, pleasure shows etc etc do not come under this new rule.
    If a show is run as a national show either through an NF or through an organisation that is recognised by the NF again, it does not apply.
    However, if an OC organises a full international show in one of the existing FEI disciplines with invited international riders and does so outside the NF and so is not in the FEI calendar and is not supported by the NF the rule will be applied by the FEI and the suspensions could be invoked.
    The FEI GRs have always confirmed that the FEI is the recognised International Federation for International Equestrian events for the disciplines it manages. The GRs confirm that a show with more than 15 international riders from more than 4 Nations must be run as an FEI event and under the NF concerned.

i think it is interesting that a monopoly is legal and allowed? is this the same for other sports?

i think it is time for a new organizing entity..... of course that will never happen given the amount of money involved.