The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Places to Shop for Hunt Horses in the MD/VA/PA Areas?

Hello,
    A good friend of mine is searching for a second hunt horse for her husband. Need the horse to be able to hunt first field, be safe, and large enough to carry a man. Do you all have any suggestions on reputable places to look, we are located in northern Maryland, but will travel to see multiple horses/for the right horse. Thanks so much for your help

I have a friend in Culpeper, Va. that has many legitimate hunt horses for sale. PM for his contact info. Jackie
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

There are many on the way to Culpeper. Some more details would be helpful - size, age, breed preference, price, etc.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Here's a few to look at if you will travel. Get the videos first

http://www.northstreetwarmbloods.com/photo3.html
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

When I was planning a horse shopping trip to the Middleburg VA area, I enlisted the help of Bonnie Barr Briggs at Riot Farm. www.riotfarm.com I told her exactly what I was looking for, and she lined up a number of horses for me to look at, and brought me around to see them.

She showed me several nice ones, all of which met the requirements that I had given her, and I ended up buying my current horse that I am just thrilled with.

I found her help to be very valuable! And, the seller paid her fee.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks for your replies!

More specifics.
    -Geldings only, quiet, bay or minimal white. Needs to be big barreled 16.3 and up preferably over 17 hands. Age is not a huge issue, looking for the draft cross type. However, it needs to be more on the athletic side to hunt first field and jump 3'6+. Prefer to be more made than green. Price isn't a huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    Thanks for your replies!

More specifics.
    -Geldings only, quiet, bay or minimal white. Needs to be big barreled 16.3 and up preferably over 17 hands. Age is not a huge issue, looking for the draft cross type. However, it needs to be more on the athletic side to hunt first field and jump 3'6+. Prefer to be more made than green. Price isn't a huge issue.
    Check out Rudy at the northstreetwarmbloods site that I linked above. Meets all of your criteria and is a very special horse.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
    Thanks for your replies!

More specifics.
    I have one. But a WB, not a draft-x.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Just wanted to recommend a barn I rode at a few years on the eastern shore of Maryland (about 45 minutes from Annapolis). They have a good variety of nice sales horses.

http://www.snapdragonstables.com

I second Bonnie - RiotFarm.com. Near Hume. She'll find you what you want.
    Also try Randi at Snowbound Acre near Amissville - snowbnd.home.infionline.net
    Also try Clydetta Talbot in Warrenton.
    Also try Cynthia at Elysian Hills near Orlean - elysianhills.com.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Check out Rudy at the northstreetwarmbloods site that I linked above. Meets all of your criteria and is a very special horse.
    Yeah, even I want Rudy!
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

You guys are the best, I'm passing all of these suggestions along to my friend so she can make some phone calls. I can't thank you all enough for all of your help! It's always nice to get quality recommendations for fellow COTHers! Big thumbs up to everyone, feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

PS Rudy is one good looking horse, seems like a neat boy, I'll let her know to really look into him

Ann McIntosh in Millwood (no website but google her to find a phone ##).

Mimi Schmitz in the Green Spring Valley near Baltimore. If interested, PM me for a number.

That said, if in VA, I too would heartily endorse Bonnie Barr- Briggs. Known her for almost 30 years. Honest, easy to work with, and well- connected.

Is Diane Crump's website being updated?

http://www.dianecrump.com/
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Or you could click on the ad for 5 fabulous foxhunters on the bottom right of your page. The Chronicle would appreciate that
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I second Mimi Schmitz!! She has a barn full of lovely horses that are all hunting very successfully first field with Greenspring. I know for a fact that she has several for sale at the moment. All big bodied and reasonably priced.