The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Rolex Tickets- Just ordered mine!!

It's that time of year again, counting down the days can officially start now.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just got mine too.
    While I am excited to go (haven't been since 2008), I was very disappointed to have to pay service charges and shipping and handling four separate times for each item I ordered - tickets and seating. I didn't see any other option to put in a shopping cart and check out once. Maybe I missed something, but it sure felt like I got scalped.
    Hopefully I will have forgotten about it by the time April rolls around!

It's not a very user friendly ordering site, but you can select all the tickets you want and checkout once. It just takes a while to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by TBFAN View Post
    Just got mine too.
    While I am excited to go (haven't been since 2008), I was very disappointed to have to pay service charges and shipping and handling four separate times for each item I ordered - tickets and seating. I didn't see any other option to put in a shopping cart and check out once. Maybe I missed something, but it sure felt like I got scalped.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default the folks at Equestrian Events are helpful

It's taken me a couple of years to figure it out. If you call them in person, and explain what happened, they can likely send your order all at once.

It isn't user friendly, it says everything goes to "will call" and the stuff comes in the mail.

Way later than February, usually, so don't panic.

What seats have you guys selected? for Sunday? would like to sit in a section together....would that be possible?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by TBFAN View Post
    Just got mine too.
    Agreed! I ordered four sets of three day tickets plus grandstand seating for Sunday and I was charged a $30 service charge IN ADDITION to a $10 S&H fee. Not cool and not user friendly at all. To me it sure doesn't promote the sport to the general public very well. Someone is making a killing off those stupid "surcharges."
    Corgigirl14

What seats in the stadium are better? Covered up high or uncovered as close as you can get to the arena? Any sections better than others?

Default I like the uncovered ones better

The earlier you order, the closer you will be. I think the covered grandstand side is better, at least I like it better, closer to the restrooms, etc.

Here's what I'll say about the surcharge and shipping and handling fee. It costs approx 2% to run the credit card. There are a lot of tickets to get correct, handle and mail, all of which, in my experience, are done very well. I have never, not gotten my tickets or parking passes or anything else. There are thousands of tickets sold, seat by seat, day by day. How much should it be? It's amazing the event runs as smoothly as it does staffed primarily with volunteers, as good as they are, I am glad the ticket process is on line, you used to have to fax your order in or get them at the gate.

Equestrian Events is a Business. A For Profit Business. There is no reason why there shouldn't be a charge. Everything you buy has a charge, thery're just telling you what you're paying.

I'd love to go!! Haven't been since 93'..ouch!! One day!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    The earlier you order, the closer you will be. I think the covered grandstand side is better, at least I like it better, closer to the restrooms, etc.

Here's what I'll say about the surcharge and shipping and handling fee. It costs approx 2% to run the credit card. There are a lot of tickets to get correct, handle and mail, all of which, in my experience, are done very well. I have never, not gotten my tickets or parking passes or anything else. There are thousands of tickets sold, seat by seat, day by day. How much should it be? It's amazing the event runs as smoothly as it does staffed primarily with volunteers, as good as they are, I am glad the ticket process is on line, you used to have to fax your order in or get them at the gate.

Equestrian Events is a Business. A For Profit Business. There is no reason why there shouldn't be a charge. Everything you buy has a charge, thery're just telling you what you're paying.
    I'm not disputing the fact that Equestrian Events is a for profit business. I'm all for free market capitalism. However, a surcharge of $30 for $300 worth of tickets is steep. Especially when I'm already paying $10 for shipping. I would have no problem with them hiding those costs in the prices of the actual tickets.

It's like going to a horse trial and they charge you an additional $15 surcharge for a stupid fan. I'm sorry if I'm already paying $120 plus dollars for my horses stall an electrical hookup should be included. I hate being nickel and dimed. Just put those additional costs in to the original ticket price. Problem solved.
    Corgigirl14

@2ndryrgal:

I'd rather the ticket pricing itself reflect all processing and handling costs rather than feel I'm getting nickel and dimed in fees that I won't see until I'm ready to check out. No one is saying that they're unwilling to pay in order to attend a world class event, but I do feel as if the pricing for SJ and dressage (admission+grandstand seat+service charge+shipping and handling for paper in a (fancy) envelope) is pretty steep, and I'd rather know about it all up front rather than when I'm pulling my card out of my wallet.

If the fees truly are warranted in order to pay staff (even though, as you say, the event is primarily "staffed" with volunteers), why not incorporate it into the pricing structure?

Default So it's ok if a business makes a profit..

as long as they don't tell you what it is?

They should just raise the price and not tell you?

You are kidding right?

Then you'd just gripe because the tickets went up $30.

Is a $30 charge high on $300 worth of tickets? Maybe, but I bought $3200 worth and it didn't seem like a big deal.

If the money is all the same, why does it bother you that they disclose it?

Just a thought, do you read contracts before you sign them, or just whine you paid too much for something?

Jeez.

as long as they don't tell you what it is?

They should just raise the price and not tell you?

You are kidding right?

Then you'd just gripe because the tickets went up $30.

Is a $30 charge high on $300 worth of tickets? Maybe, but I bought $3200 worth and it didn't seem like a big deal.

If the money is all the same, why does it bother you that they disclose it?

Just a thought, do you read contracts before you sign them, or just whine you paid too much for something?

Jeez.
    I don't have a problem at all with a business making a profit. I'm not sure what sort of mental gymnastics you needed to perform in order to construe my statement as anti-business. Are you suggesting, then, that Rolex's only profit is reflected in the fees and handling charges? That seems to be a pretty big assumption.

My only request was that the fees not be buried in the transaction (as they presently are). Why do you suggest that they would "raise the price and not tell [us]?" If you publish an increased ticket price online and send it out in the mailer, that's "telling" us. It couldn't get more transparent than that!

It's good of you to speak for me, but I actually don't generally mind paying more if I perceive that what I'm getting is worth it. If, as you say, their operating costs are high, and perhaps have increased significantly in recent years, it stands to reason that we would expect to see ticket prices go up. I, for one, would not be put off by incremental ticket pricing increases.

What I object to is seeing tickets advertised as $x on the website, telling my husband and others who will travel with us that they cost $x, making the commitment to go (even if only verbally), then clicking through a few pages and finding out that the price is actually $y (when, in this case, y is significantly greater than x).

I won't even address the condescension in your suggestion that we who object to this pricing strategy don't read contracts and then whine about the consequences. I haven't even bought my tickets yet. Here's a solution: since packaging all these tickets is so labor intensive, as you say, perhaps those who order $3200 worth of tickets should be asked to pay a fee in direct proportion to the amount of labor their purchase requires?

Default The fees are not buried.

The fees mentioned are not Rolex's profit, but fees charged by Equestrian Events Inc for handling/processing the tickets. I don't know how much/little the event makes itself.

My tickets might have been more expensive, but there isn't any more quantity involved. (Hospitality)(2 tickets) The price reflects what is included once I get to the event, nothing really to do with the physical "ticket", except they have to stick a parking pass in the envelope.

The tickets are more if you buy them at the gate the day of. I did not look, but if the "handling charge" is more than the increase, then just pay it. If the handling charge you are objecting to is less, then just wait til the day of the event and stand in line like many other folks do, for whatever there reason.

The people who process the tickets have them printed, answer phones, internet and faxes, take payment, run credit cards, sort, stuff and mail the tickets. I'm not sure how inexpensive that should be, or how much it costs, but you have to have the physical plant and employees to get this all done.

It is a one time a year thing. $30 processing does not seem unreasonable to me, but I live nearby, don't need a hotel, do not buy t-shirts and my lunch comes with my ticket.

I'm still not sure what you're complaining about.

I'm still not sure what you're complaining about.
    I think you understand, you just disagree.

Federal law now requires those who sell airline tickets to include all applicable taxes and fees up front in the price of the ticket so that individuals can, with a minimum of hassle, determine exactly how much they'll be paying. While I'm not generally a fan of creating laws needlessly, I appreciate the transparency this creates. My only gripe is that it's not required of all who sell tickets (travel, event, or otherwise) online.

Look, I'm still buying tickets. I apologize for assuming that your purchase included scads of individual tickets for a large group, which it apparently does not (you're right, then-- they require no more effort or time to package and mail). I just happen to think it would be nice if the fees were made apparent on the same page on which ticket prices are listed. When they're not, the sole reason would seem to be that event organizers fear they'll be a deterrent for some buyers. AS a result, they bury them on the purchase page, thinking that buyers are more likely to buy in this scenario.

If the fee were smaller, I might not take as much umbrage, but it's a pretty big percentage when you're just talking about general admission for two days and SJ seating for two. It is what it is, but, as you mentioned earlier, it's certainly not as much of a systems shock (<1%) to someone who was already planning to spend $3200 to enjoy the event.
    Last edited by lmlacross; Nov. 3, 2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Add'l info.