The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advice on Trailer cameras

Looking to purchase a back up cam but want one with two cameras so I can have one in the trailer. Anyone have one and pros/cons?

How about this one?

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/...-Camera-System

3 cameras...not a bad price, either.

Otherwise, I dunno. If I were to do a trailer cam, and I've thought about it if I only traveled more, I'd do this bumper cam thingie, and having the 3 allows you to have one on each horse in a 2 horse, and actually have one ON the bumper, to help back up!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I absolutely love my SwiftHitch - highly recommended!

I can hitch up the trailer in one try, alone using it. Really gave me confidence and independance.

You can also use it as a trailering camera to monitor the horses. I did this once with a friend's horse. It was really fun. However, you do need to plan ahead and find a way to mount it to the wall. The magnet is great for hitching up, but by the end of the 45min trailer ride, the camera had slipped down into the manger. Pretty amuzing view of her eating, and it was still "stuck" with the magnet & working when we unloaded, but wasn't the view we intended.

https://www.swifthitch.com/Horse-Trailer.html

You could easily set up the trailer-mount so that you used the magnet on your tailgate to hitch up, then just moved the camera into the trailer on the mount for the actual trailer ride.

Price was totally reasonable (~$100 a few years back) and worth every penny on Day 1 when I hitched up in 1 try and only 5 minutes!

I just bought a camera from this guy that someone recommended on this board.
    http://www.videosystemsbyjim.com/hor...r%20wired.html

The price was reasonable compared to alot of dealer installed systems and I am having my trailer manufacturer wire it in when he builds the trailer. And the trailer dealer install the truck part when I have the hitch installed.

It seems pretty simple to install, so hopefully it should work well. I'll let you know !!!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

see my post in this thread. I like hardwired, and it's really little trouble to have one more wire to hook up if you want a camera in the trailer too.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...=1#post6645667

Rocky, I have that same setup!! I had my trailer dealer install it as I bought it after I bought the used trailer. The mechanic said it was a good unit, as they had people ask them to install lesser quality cameras in the past. They liked how the wiring was set up, and it is very easy to deal with; just plug it in/unplug it with the brake plug.

I won't even pretend I know how to wire it, but we have a camera in our trailer to monitor the horses when we travel. I plug into the truck and bam there they are complete with sound. The guy we purchased the trailer from was an electrical engineer and installed it himself with parts from RadioShack for a fraction of the cost of the systems they sell. If you have the know-how yourself or know someone who does this would be a way cheaper option from what I understand.

I have had a system fromhttp://www.videosystemsbyjim.com/horse%20trailer%20wired.html for about 3 years now,quick waterproof conection and great picture.Good value.