The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Were You This Little Girl?

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Oh yes!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Every time I was on a farm. Loved them from the time I was tiny.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

When I was that age, I used to sneak off to the barn and get on my uncle's bulldogging horse. If Weasel was laying down or standing close to the side of the stall, I'd climb up and slide on him. I'd just sit there until Mom found me.

I was born in Chicago and my mother would take me to the Lincoln Park playground - as young as 2 yrs old I would disappear following the horses down the bridle path that used to be in that park with the city livery horses.

Every trip out of the city I would beg to make the car stop and let me stand in a ditch and pull grass to feed the horses at a fenceline. Who knows where it comes from, but it's made my life full and richer. Or poorer! which ever way you want to figure it.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Still am . . .
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sirensong4 View Post
    Still am . . .
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Yep, I still am, too. Every day I get to go out and kiss the big bay's nose I am shocked that I am so lucky, and the giddy little girl inside me dances with glee.

The other three horses aren't so bad, either.

So I suppose the difference is that as an adult I can afford to buy all I can manage to ride, where as a kid I only got to own one and just pick up rides on every other horse possible.

This picture reminds me of some I took which seem like that girl a few years later:
    http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6162/6...1b84fea214.jpg
    http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6163/6...9f3b7f3f66.jpg
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I was totally that little girl - but luckily we had ponies and horses in our backyard.

http://urbanhennery.com/blog/wp-cont...1001282149.jpg

My first pony (also my mom's pony) Peanuts, with my aunts when I was a chitlin.

Thanks ladies for sharing your pics!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    : Who knows where it comes from, but it's made my life full and richer. Or poorer! which ever way you want to figure it.
    Your purse may claim you are poorer, but horses make our lives so much richer that you cannot put a price tag on them!

Yep, that was me!

I grew up in Tuscaloosa, AL. We lived in a neighborhood, which allowed for horses. Several of our neighbors had ponies. When I was about 3 years old, my Mom would find me toddling down the road, following as the riders on their ponies passed.

My folks had one of the neighbors bring one of the ponies (she was called Brown Sugar) over to our house. They let me sit on her bareback, while they held the lead rope. Something spooked the pony, she broke away and started running through the woods. I eventually fell off and the pony stepped on my knee. This experience did not deter me from my love of horses, plus I got out of school for a week (I was in first grade by then).

OP,
    Thanks for sharing the photo and bringing back memories from long, long ago.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I still am; just taller now :-)

I was and my daughter is. I have a pic of her doing a similar thing on the opposite side of a fence w/ my young hunter.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

what a great picture!

Absolutely was. And I own my own version of that little girl although she's almost as tall as me now lol.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...kissingmal.jpg
    Kerri

When i was a little under 3, my family was at a barbeque at a friends farm. They had their horse tethered out in the yard eating grass. Folks looked up and i was wrapped around the horse's back leg, hugging him, and kissing his hock. They were horrified and slowly approached to peel me off his leg. I didnt want to let go and got a bit hysterical. They had to pry my little arms from around his leg. The horse just stood there. I was majorly ticked off that they did that. What did they know anyway ? The horse and i were cool. LOL
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.