The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I love the grey.

Horse shopping sucks. Don't settle til you find something you really like!

A mild high suspensory is probably not going to be an issue. I'd just get a PPE with an ultrasound. The grey will make up into a very fancy horse. Chestnut looks nice but will not be the same caliber as the grey.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post
    I'm with you on the chestnut.... I watched less than a minute of him undersaddle and I just kept thinking hocks, Hocks, HOCKS... Even at liberty, he is still ouchy and not freely moving out. He is definitely going to need to be injected! I would pass on him, but I would definitely look into that gray cutie, even with the previous suspensory injury. A good PPE with ultrasound would be in order though.

Good Luck
    Why exactly would he need to be injected? Just a reminder that this is a 3 yr old track broke baby that just raced last 10/28

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    Why exactly would he need to be injected? Just a reminder that this is a 3 yr old track broke baby that just raced last 10/28

yes and his movement will improve but still not have as much scope as the other one. He looked sore...whether it is just track soreness or more would be something to look at in the PPE.

For example, this video is of a 3 year old race horse 2 days after his last race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79yd4...ature=youtu.be

That is a going to be an outragously good mover. (sold in 24 hours by Three Plain Bays).
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I'm just curious as to why/what you would be injecting in a 3 yr old? Or would it be later in life down the road like a lot of other horses? The space they were in was not very big and does not have good footing at all. It's not really meant for riding, mostly turning out. The grey is a lovely horse but having just had to deal with a mare that I got almost 3 yrs ago that I had to rehab and then hurt herself right after moving up here for a total of 3 out of 4 legs having tendon injuries (and she was only 5) I'm really not wanting to take on something that has been hurt before if I can help it.

I'm just curious as to why/what you would be injecting in a 3 yr old? Or would it be later in life down the road like a lot of other horses? The space they were in was not very big and does not have good footing at all. It's not really meant for riding, mostly turning out. The grey is a lovely horse but having just had to deal with a mare that I got almost 3 yrs ago that I had to rehab and then hurt herself right after moving up here for a total of 3 out of 4 legs having tendon injuries (and she was only 5) I'm really not wanting to take on something that has been hurt before if I can help it.

There are a lot of nice horses out there so don't settle. If you don't want to take a risk on the grey...that is absolutely fine and understandable. I wouldn't personally without a decent PPE.

But the chestnut look sore too...and I think that is why someone mentioned injecting. So he could have something going on....or could just be body sore from racing. On the plus...he is very cute and seems to have a lovely brain. If you went with him...I would do an extensive PPE and make sure that the shortness in his movement is just simple foot sore or body sore that can be easily fixed.

1 members found this post helpful.

I REALLY like that grey. An old suspensory wouldnt bother me if he worked after it sound. (Said its several years old, did he race on it after...if so, chances are he would be suited fine as a 3` hunter). But I would get it PPEd to be sure. Nice athletic looking horse. I bet he will jump well.

Dont like the chestnut. Not enough animation, I think he would be limited in scope.

I should mention too because I'm not sure I have-the level of showing that I will be doing will be local to mid level. Won't be doing anything A circuit, can't afford that! That would wipe out my show budget in one show! So I'm looking for something nice but I'm not looking/needing something SUPER fancy or anything. Obviously want as nice as I can but within what I can afford. Which isn't much. Height wise in my mind 3'6 would be nice, probably not going to happen at the shows I will be going to, or not on a regular basis. So 3' would probably be a better estimate of future jumping height. And that would probably be more at the mid level shows which would be only probably 4-5 times out of the year and I would probably start in long stirrup the first year which is like 2'6? I think. And then move up from there.

I really like the grey! Super cute, nice mover. However if his previous injury bothers you, than pass on him
    There's something funky about the(latest) chestnut. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I would run away from him. He's very upright moving in front and trails his hind end, almost like he's not aware of where his feet are... JMHO
    I would keep looking. There are too many good horses out there to get stuck with a poor one.

I'm really not wanting to take on something that has been hurt before if I can help it.
    Noted , but taking a chance on the chestnut that is obviously sore right now (though no prior diagnosis) vs taking a chance on the grey who moves very well right now, doesn't seem logical.

Obviously neither one "spoke" to you. Just keep looking. The right horse will come along.

I agree with the OP about the grey. I wouldn't want to take the chance on a suspensory injury. I know the place that she went to look and that "arena" is atrocious. There is no way to really know how a horse will move when you see them in there. One of the people who rides at my barn has ridden the chestnut and loves him. Based on her description of him and the fact that she got all excited and giggly when she talked about him I'd give the chestnut some serius consideration.