The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where's Our Ghost Stories?? Its Halloween???

I don't really have any ghost stories to share but I love hearing them! Come on!!! Share yours!!!

My town had a Halloween Block Party this weekend and one the stores had a psychic/medium come in. My friends and I got a very quick reading. He was general but really spot on for all of us. The only kind of odd thing he said to me was about my property that I live on. He knew I bordered woods and had water along that border which I do...he said that I have indians that "hanging" out along the border of the woods in my fields. I asked them if they would do anything to me and he said no that they are staying at the border but that I might see them at times and wonder what they were. I did ask him if they were in any of my buildings and he said no.

I have yet to see any Indians.... but share your stories!!!!!
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ighlight=ghost

I started this one a while back - happy reading!!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

1 members found this post helpful.

Nice, MoonWitch. Thanks.

I think this would be a great thread. I hope people add to it.

The really old (100+ years) houses I've lived in had no ghosts, but I lived in IL for awhile in a house built after WWII and there were always footsteps in it and opening & closing doors. The footsteps always sounded like a child's.

At the time my children were small and my husband worked late at night. I'd be sitting in bed reading upstairs. My daughter's room was on the ground floor, and you know how it is with little kids. They often come into your bed at night. So I'd be sitting in bed reading and I'd hear her coming up the stairs (she was about 4), and I'd be smiling, laying down my book and waiting to see her peeking around the corner at the top of the stairs, which I could see from my bed. Nothing. For the first times this happened I'd just dismiss it and think oh, I imagined it. Very natural, normal sound.

After a few weeks though I would get up the moment I heard the steps. No one was ever there and when I checked she'd be fast asleep in her bed.

At the time we were the only ones of our friends who had children, so we'd do dinner & movie nights at our house all the time. We're watching a movie with my friend Sandy sitting next to me on the couch and her husband sitting on the floor with his back against my knees. These 2 would always tease us (in a nice way) about the responsibilities and lack of freedom we had being parents. That night we're watching the movie and we hear the steps coming DOWN from upstairs. Sandy looks at me and says ha ha, DD is up and you're going to have to go get her and settle her down again. I said, just wait (by this time we were quite familiar with the steps and knew the difference between its and DD's).

"Can't you hear that? She's coming down the steps," said husband and wife. Just wait, we said. We'd never said a word to anyone anywhere about the footsteps.

So we waited. Step, step, step, like a little kid. From the sofa you just had to turn your head and look to the right to see the closed door that was on the staircase. So we're all sitting there watching the door. Door opens about a foot. Door closes. Nothing.

Jeff leaps up from the floor he's so utterly startled. The two of them are shocked. Come here, we say, and lead them to DD's bedroom where she is fast asleep in bed and then go upstairs to where the baby (who can't even walk yet) is also sleeping.

It was nice to see 2 totally objective people have the same experience we had all the time. By that time we were used to it, but it shook our friends up pretty bad.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My first apartment in the city was a converted rooming house.
    My roommate & I used to hear arguments late at night, complete with crashing dishes and loud voices.
    Sounded like it was coming from the apartment directly below us.

When we complained to the landlord he told us that unit was vacant.
    We asked other tenants, but nobody seemed to hear things except us.

We'd also hear footsteps coming up the stairs and sometimes knocking at our door or the one across the hall, but noone there if we opened the door.
    We were the top floor unit and could see down the entire stairwell, so it wasn't like someone was knocking then running off...
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Um, hm. I had an "experience" a few weeks ago. I'm still a bit stressed about it. I still think I'm imagining things. It still reallyseriouslyholycrap happened.

We moved into an apartment in an older house in the spring. It was an utter sh** hole, but we got permission (very enthusiastic permission!) to fix it up to our hearts content, the price was excellent and features-wise it was an unbeatable deal. We have been busting our butts nursing this once very pretty little place back to life and it has truly been a labor of love. It is very obvious that someone once took a lot of pride in this property and we are very happy to give it back some of it's shine.

A few weeks ago, I was crouched down in the kitchen vacuuming the back steps. The steps lead down to the screen door to the back yard. This is one of two entrances to the apartment, and the screen door was very firmly latched & the other door is in direct line of sight when you turn around from the back door. It was also locked & bolted. Middle of the day, and I was home alone.

I felt something on my shoulder. I assumed it was the dog leaning his head on me to say "Hi, I'd like to go outside." so without turning around, I reached up with my right hand to pet him. I grabbed a f*^*^&@$! hand. Knuckles, skin, fingers, warmth, the whole hand-y shebang. On my shoulder. I chucked the vacuum hose, whipped around and... nothing. No one. The apartment is spacious but linear and has very, very few places to "hide". The door was still bolted, the dog was still sound asleep on the bed where he'd been all day, and I was very, very stressed out.

After spending roughly 30 minutes jumping about and squealing, I decided that I wanted to know who it was & should make friends with it. In literally seconds of research on the internet, I pulled up the name of the gentleman who built the property, owned the shop in the front & presumably was the fellow who had, at one time, loved this place. He was, presumably, the guy who put the gorgeous brass pulls on the magnificent built in pantry, the pulls that we salvaged from 100 years of paint and corrosion, the pantry we reclaimed and partially rebuilt. He was presumably the guy who produced & installed the unique, pretty & obviously hand cut crown moulding in the LR, the moulding we scraped literally a 1/2 inch of paint & plaster away from to make fully visible again. Etc. He was married here, had kids born & die here, ran a manufacturing shop in the front that led to him being a leader of a young booming industry locally. He had a whole, full life here. He was also a leading member of a local office for very young national baseball organization, and we are a very enthusiastic baseball home.

The hand, other than being a completely heart-stopping holycrap disembodied hand, wasn't.... MEAN. It was just resting gently on my shoulder, like one might when saying something very sincere to a loved one.

So what we're going with is that it was him, the builder & original owner, the baseball guy, just saying "Thanks." for caring, for putting some love back into what he loved. More than a little far-fetched, I know, but it is a nice thought and we are going with it.

That was several weeks ago & nothing has happened since, nor had anything happened before.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

6 members found this post helpful.

Do an internet search on "hoofprints at Bath". Also, on YouTube, search "Vincent Price" and each of the following: "The Raven", "The Tell-Tale Heart", "The Cask Of Amontillado", and "The Pit And The Pendulum".
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Awwww.... Rubyfree, he likes you.

But yes, as someone who has had a friendly ghost stroke her fingers through my hair, it can be a bit ... suprising.

Yikes. Rubyfree and SmartAlex, your stories made the hair on my neck rise up.

SmartAlex, please tell your story.

I have a hugger.

She's been with me a very long time. She 'belongs' to me, and isn't tied to any one place, as she's stayed with me over the last 3 decades. I have several others as well, but she's been with me the longest.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Our house is over 160 years old. In the 1923 through 1948 it was owned by my husband's grand parents. From 1948 through 2002 it was owned by another couple. 20 some years ago my husband built a house next door and befriended the owners of grandpa's place. So, we know a lot of it's history.

It has always been known to be haunted, but no one really wanted to talk about it. When the former resident's husband died, my husband looked after her. Once the man was out of the house and she was alone, the haunting really became troubling to her. Because my husband's family (the surviving aunts) would not talk about it, he went so far as to track down a living relative of the owners prior to his family. She was an elderly woman living in Florida. When he phoned her and tried to explain who he was her response was "you want to know about the ghosts don't you?"

One ghost was a naughty youth. He would ring the doorbell and such. Through advice of a medium, the death records of the area were gone through, three untimely deaths of preteens were identified, and their names tried out on the little poltergeist until he was scolded away and he really isn't much of a problem anymore.

The other ghost that troubled Milly was one who would stroke her hair in the night and generally poke and prod her. She would complain continuously that she couldn't sleep. She thought it was her deceased husband, and honestly he's there to but he usually just moves things or takes them apart.

So, after Milly went to a nursing home, my husband, then SO, bought the house and I moved in while he remodeled around me. At first I stayed in the same bedroom she had. It was one of two rooms on the back of the house that a woman had built. Reportedly, she needed more room, so when her husband was out of town working, she just began to add on. She didn't do a very good job , but hey, she made room.

Anyway, I had been in the house a couple of weeks. I awoke one morning with the feeling that there was a woman standing at the foot of my bed. And then, she stroked her fingers through my hair at my left temple. I could even hear it. So now I know what Milly was complaining about.

Nowadays, we stay in the other bedroom which was occupied by Milly's husband Fran. This has actually proved more problematic since Fran is still very posessive of the house. Moreso than the woman. Two years ago, he permanently relocated two step ladders, one from the basement and one from the kitchen, within two weeks of each other. We have yet to locate them. His dog tags, which were hanging on a nail above his workbench in the old two car garage, mysteriously appeared on a hook on the wall behind by husband's work bench in the basement. We have been discussing wether to tear the garage down or repair it. We figure he was worried about having his tags forgotten so he moved them to a safer place.

Like I said, we now stay in his bedroom. Of course, I never met Fran so he doesn't really bother me. He also, apparetly does not know my name. I have been snoring lately. My husband will speak to me, I'll roll over and go back to sleep. One night this past September, it was so bad he went and slept on the couch. At 4:30 am I was awakened by a voice saying "Ma'am, Ma'am, Ma'am... you're snoring".

I sort of chuckled, and rolled over. I guess my snoring can wake the dead Sorry Fran.

7 members found this post helpful.

I've had various things happen off and on. In my house at night I hear talking, like low whisper/mumbling that I just can't make out. At first I thought it was that the TV was still on, but I'd go in the living room and check and it wasn't. Never have been able to hear what is said, though.

My friend died in September in a drunk driving accident. I hosted a little gathering for her girlfriends at the yoga studio where I was teaching at the time and we lit candles and told stories and shared grief. This was on a Sunday. All the candles were blown out and lights off and everything. When I went in on Monday morning for my 7 a.m. class, there was one candle that was still lit - it was one of those devotional candles in a glass, and the flame was burning! Then a week or so later when I was in the massage room (next to the studio) for some bodywork, the bodyworker and I did a meditation for my friend (we felt like she wasn't passing and was "stuck"). Right after that I walked into the studio and an alarm clock went off - on a clock that had never had its alarm set. My friend loved roses and her husband had kept a garden full of rose bushes for her. Meanwhile, we have not been able to grow roses at our house - year after year, they just don't take, or if they do, the deer get the buds before they flower. A couple weeks after my friend passed, the white rose bush outside our kitchen door/window bloomed like crazy - we've never had more than one rose on that bush and there must have been 10 or so! They are gone now, but they stayed for a couple weeks. I've had dreams and visitations from her which is nice. My other friend is still sad and devastated by the loss. While I'm sad, I actually feel like my relationship with her continues, so I'm not really grieving any more.
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Nice, MoonWitch. Thanks.

I think this would be a great thread. I hope people add to it.

The really old (100+ years) houses I've lived in had no ghosts, but I lived in IL for awhile in a house built after WWII and there were always footsteps in it and opening & closing doors. The footsteps always sounded like a child's.
    May I ask what town you lived in? Or county if you aren't comfortable disclosing that? I ask because there are many people in my town who say they've heard the same thing

The house in IL was in Franklin Park, outside of Chicago.

We moved a lot and lived in a lot of houses in a number of different states. The only ones that were full of footsteps oddly enough were in IL. The other one was in Chicago, in the city itself on Racine Avenue. We lived there for years and we often heard someone running up the stairs and down the hall to the back bedroom. Definitely an adult man. But the child in Franklin Park was heard by a number of people, and we never said anything to people ahead of time about it.

We never ever mentioned it to our children, not wanting to scare them, until one day during the day (I was a stay-at-home mom then) we were reading a book, sitting in the living room on the sofa, me with a child on each side. I could hear it walking upstairs, passing overhead of where we sat, I somehow felt it was passing through my bedroom to look out the window, but of course I didn't react at all, just kept on reading. My daughter said, "Mom, who is that who walks around upstairs all the time?" And my little boy chimed in, "Yeah, who is that?"

My heart froze. I had no idea they'd been hearing it all along and I wondered what else they'd heard. I just said I didn't know but I'd heard it too and I had no idea who it was. Then went on with the book. It didn't seem to bother the kids at all. I think you have to teach them to be afraid of the unknown.

There's a denouement to this that I'll post if OT day lasts a little longer. This is getting too long as it is.

Rubyfree, your story reminded me of my own.

About 10 years ago, I bought a small property with a house that is about a hundred years old. The house was in absolutely terrible condition and had some really 'interesting' renters, but I walked in and just had a good feeling there. I bought it against everyone's advice and started doing renovations almost immediately. Since the renovations were extensive, I didn't live in the house for almost a year after I bought it. However, the frst month or so of owning it, I had a couple of contractors in working in the kitchen while I cleaned out the basement. At one point I walked down the stairs to the basement and the basement lights turned out. I yelled upstairs for the contractor to turn the lights back on. The lights immediately came back on, but I heard the light switch near me at the base of the stairs actually flip. Weird, but didnt think anything of it. Until the guys upstairs came down to ask what I had wanted. I mentioned the lights, at which point they told me they weren't touching the electricity and that fuse box and switches for the basement were all down in the basement with me anyways. They were a bit spooked.
    Its hard to describe, but I always felt really safe there, like someone was watching out for me. Another thing I vividly recall is getting upset at one point. Anyone who's done extensive renovations knows how stressful and expensive they can be. At one point I was on the phone saying how I just wasn't sure if I could do it anymore, that I loved the house but it was all a bit much. I felt someone tap me on the shoulder a couple of times - of course your natural reaction is to turn around and see who's there, but there was no one. For whatever reason, I didn't really feel scared, just again felt like maybe I wasn't alone there - but in a good way. I lived there for 5 or 6 years and still want to move back - our new house feels a bit empty and not as warm.

The strangest part of the whole thing came about two years ago- I ended up moving in with my boyfriend and renting the house out. The renter ended up being a bit of a loser and was pretty hard on the place so we were attempting to evict them. They ended up leaving very suddenly, which I assumed was because they wanted to dodge the rent - I heard later they thought the house was haunted and were scared so bad they got out quickly. I'm really getting rather fond of that house - it seems to have its own caretaker

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, my story requires a brief desription of the layout of my grandparents house... Picture two bungalows connected together in kind of an L-shape. One side is where my grandparents lived and the other side was my two great aunts. There was a small common entrance upstairs both in the front and back of the house. The back entrance also had stairs down to a large common "rec-room" but there were still two seperate areas below each 'bungalow'.

Growing up my cousins and I would often go and play in the room below my grandparents. But the rec-room always gave me the creeps, so we would run down the stairs, across the room and into the 'safety' of the room under my grandparents making sure to shut the door behind us as we entered. NEVER would I go into the room under the great aunts... I might get as close as the door, maybe even my hand on the door knob - but then I'd just get this crawly uncomfortable feeling and high-tale it out there.

I don't remember ever bringing it up when I was little and certainly never brought it up later. It just happened that one evening having dinner with the family that my mother was talking about growing up in the house and the three sisters next door Apparently the third sister had hung herself in the basement when my mother was still fairly young... also turns out that she really didn't like kids either...

Editing to add: A couple of years back while on vacation in Scotland, I was staying in an older castle near Inverness. I was awoken from my sleep with this feeling that someone was standing behind me, just staring at me...
    Last edited by mikali; Nov. 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Adding a story
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

I have a few experiences, some of which I have shared on a past thread on here, but in the more recent past I have had some experiences that I felt were more aimed at me particularly. My parents live in an old farm house that they have added on to twice since I was born, and I think it was added on to once before that, so it's had lots of face lifts. I live near my parents and so stay over often, especially if they are out of town. I don't particularly like staying in a large empty house in the middle of nowhere, but they care for 2/3 of my horses and my barn cat, so I can't complain too much and it's much easier to live there when I'm in charge.

About a year and a half ago, I was staying at their house for a week or so. I was staying in my sister's room, which is part of the oldest part of the house. I was awoken around 2:30 am to see a tall man wearing an old-style hat staring at me. I had a very strong sensation that he was studying me. I also felt like there were cobwebs all over my arms and I couldn't get them off of me. The next part is kind of weird, but I swear it happened. I was there again, but it was a full house, I want to say it might have been last Easter? I was sleeping quite soundly when I was awoken (again, around 2-3 am) because I had been kissed on the lips. No word of lie, I woke RIGHT up then, and while the rest of me was cozy warm, my lips were suddenly very cold. It wasn't aggressive, but it freaked me out, and I asked "it" to leave me alone. It has left me alone since then, but now I feel bad that someone was reaching out to me and I turned them down, lol, but I don't think I'm ready to start chatting up ghosts anytime soon!

When I did my reiki training we are all asked to lay on the floor and meditate. While we were laying there the teacher and her assistant made the rounds to do an atunements on each of us. Afterwards we sat around talking and I asked if they went around twice. I was told nope, only once. I explained that was weird bc someone came a second time and I felt them work on me and my brain exploded with colors and images. I felt the person next to me and could feel their energy. My teacher joked some spirit thought I needed extra credit.

I have many more but just the usual banging cabinets,fixing things, etc. although I kept scratching the back of my neck once while at a reiki gathering. My teacher finally asked if I was getting tired of my neck itching. I said I was and asked why. She said that a spirit was tapping me on the neck and shoulder trying to get my attention. Oh! That makes sense.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

The denouement to my IL haunted house is that a couple years later my marriage ended and I moved to PA. I was concerned that my small children might be upset in ways I couldn't perceive and reluctant to talk with me about it, so I asked the school and they provided a counselor. After they went (separately) 2 or 3 times, she called me and said the children were fine and didn't need counseling and she told me this story.

She was with my son who was probably about 6 or 7 by then and asked him, "Is there anything you've ever wondered about, anything you ever wanted to ask, anything at all?" of course in her mind it was in the context of the separation & the move and no dad in their lives anymore.

He said, yes, there was: "What was that thing I saw in our house in Franklin Park?"

The good news is he was fine with life. The only thing he ever wondered about was, what WAS that thing? He wasn't scared, just curious.

He said that one day he & his sister were playing in her room and bouncing on her bed. His back was to the door and she was facing it. Suddenly she stopped jumping and was just staring. He laughed, like what the heck?, turned around and saw in the hall outside the bed something. It seemed like revolving bits of color and it moved down the hall from left to right. The two of them stood stockstill and stared at it. After it passed, "it was gone," and they went back to playing. But, he said, "I always wondered what that was." He'd never told me about it because it was no big deal, but he always wondered, so when the social worker, said, "Is there anything you ever wondered about and wanted to ask?" THAT'S what came to his mind. She said don't worry about your kids, they're fine. And they were (and are).

ETA: the column of revolving colors wasn't very tall, maybe 3 or 4 feet, there was no sound, and when I asked him what the colors were, he thought for a while and said, "I don't know the names of those colors." Now this was a 7yo boy who most certainly can name colors.

So I asked my daughter if she remembered this and she did, but she never saw it again and had totally forgotten about it. We moved from that house into an old farmhouse that was well over 100yo. Clean as a whistle as far as manifestations go.
    Last edited by Anne FS; Nov. 2, 2012 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Awwww.... Rubyfree, he likes you.
    Quote Originally Posted by terasa View Post
    Rubyfree, your story reminded me of my own.

<snip>

The strangest part of the whole thing came about two years ago- I ended up moving in with my boyfriend and renting the house out. The renter ended up being a bit of a loser and was pretty hard on the place so we were attempting to evict them. They ended up leaving very suddenly, which I assumed was because they wanted to dodge the rent - I heard later they thought the house was haunted and were scared so bad they got out quickly. I'm really getting rather fond of that house - it seems to have its own caretaker
    And we like him.

Like Teresa's place, this house has had some shoddy, sketchy renters.... we found the remnants of the last tenants drug stash while working on the place & have heard multitudes of tales from others in the neighborhood of the previous 6-7 tenants, all of whom, coincidentally, ended up leaving rather suddenly. We just chalked it up to their general crazy as the price point & location of this place tends to attract a less desirable tenant... but who knows? Maybe our man J.H. made it known that they weren't welcome.

Really, it's so strange to me how in love with this place I am... even when I walked in for the first viewing, I felt home, never mind the neglect and unsanitary conditions. I have renovated properties before, including ones I actually owned, and never loved a place I lived more than this. We feel so welcome & right here. It's a cool thing. Thanks for welcoming us so kindly, J.H.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I've posted my experience in past posts but I'll do it again since tis the season.
    When my daughter was little (about 2 years old), I moved into an old farmhouse with her. The elderly lady next door had raised her family in the house I was renting, it had been in her family for years.
    Her daughter showed me the house when I was looking to rent. It was just her and I. We walked thru the upper levels and then headed down the stairs to see the basement. The door connecting the basement had a latch on it, but it was a hook and eye latch, one that would need lifted up and then sunk into the eye to latch. We looked around in the basement for awhile, she showed me where there used to be a spring and a walk in fireplace for way back when...we started up the stairs...the connecting door was locked. Somehow, the hook and eye lock latched....so we went out the door under the front porch and she remarked how I might want to keep a spare key outside of that was going to happen. Didn't think much of it then....Child and I moved into the house. About two weeks later, we are in the basement, I'm tossing clothes into the washer. She stands there chattering, like normal, Mommy where's that door go? Mommy, what was over there? Mommy, WHO' S that lady?! Pointing towards the walk in fireplace....I start throwing clothes even quicker into the washer, telling here there's no lady and she insists, pointing- Mommy, right there-that lady! I grab child and run up the stairs..... Forget about incident and nothing strange happens for about a month. When you walk up the stairs to the bedrooms, you had to go thru my bedroom to get to hers and to reach the bathroom. I'm in my bedroom, she's in the tub playing....she's singing, she's chattering, then I hear 'One for you...one for me...one for you....one for me..." Oh how cute, I think- she's playing with her babydoll..I walk in, Are you playing with your baby, honey? "No Mommy, I'm sharing french fries with the lady!" <EYES POP OUT OF MY HEAD>
    When she would go to bed, she had a little cat hotel-thing beside her bed and would use the top of it as a table-she was always thirsty at night and had a cup of water beside her bed....it was wintertime, we were sleeping- middle of the night and SOMEthing hit me, poked me, whatever- I felt something on me and it made me wake up...since I was awake, I walked into her room to check on her. She had fallen out of bed and was laying, wet-the cup of water had spilled all over her jammies and was laying shivering and sleeping on the floor. When her and I would make her bed together, we basically just straightened sheets so she wouldn't have to mess with tucking them in, when she slept she threw herself all over and sheets didn't stay tucked anyhow so I dressed her in really warm footie pajamas. One time that same winter, on an especially cold morning, I walked in to wake her and she was totally tucked in her bed, sheets tight under the mattress.
    My mom came to visit for the first time since we moved there. I went to work and left them sleeping, When she got up, she took the carseat outside to strap into her car, came back in and got the rest of her stuff, telling daughter to stand in the kitchen and wait for her- she swears as she walked down the porch steps she felt a hand push her down the stairs. When I came home she made me say outloud who she was and that she was fine with my daughter, wouldn't hurt her- so the "ghost" could hear it.
    After all these events, i talked with the lady next door and found out that there used to be a family who lived there and a woman named Jenny took care of the kids...I asked if she died there, when the lady opened her mouth to tell me- I shook my head and said No! Don't tell me!!!! LOL didn't want to know.
    My brother stayed in that house after we moved and wasn't comfortable at all, had really disturbing dreams and swore he woke up in the night and saw awful things...I noticed as time went on that rental people always moved out within months, the last people to rent it obviously had kids by the outside toys- they've been there for years ;-)
    Kerri