The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think Santa is getting a second letter over this thread. I want one!! We just replaced the carpet with hardwood, and the population of doghair bunnies is out of control.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

you guys seem split on how effective the thing is.

I am a lackadaisical housekeeper at best, but daily sweeping does not keep up with one housecat and 5 rooms of hardwood & Pergo
    Plus windows and door are open to outside whenever possible, so dust builds up too.
    I cannot pass the White Glove Test to save my life

Assuming cathair is not a problem, would this thing be able to go from room to room, over the whadayacallems (sills? jambs? or???) between rooms?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I just found one on craigslist that is older a 4000 model but dirt cheap...I may try it out to see if I like it. hoping it works!
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

I have tile floor with oriental rugs with fringe and power cords all over and I love love love it.

granted I have to empty the dust bin as I have two large shedding all the time labs.

did I mention that I love it.

when it gets stuck under something (rarely) it calls for help.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I loooove mine. I've had it for a couple years. Got a refurb from Woot. It does a great job with my hardwood floors and the hair from one Beagle. I had to replace the battery after about a year and I replaced the brushes recently.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    I want one, but not cause of it's vacuuming capabilities...I want my cats to ride it for my amusement!!
    For your amusement, check out this video...lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTxW3GWZ5hI

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    what kinds do you all have? The new ones are like $600! I'd like to spend below $300...is that even possible for something decent? And what about buying one used? Is that not a good idea?
    I have a new model (630) and it was $349 and that included shipping. I was watching the reviews on these for awhile now. The older ones didn't get great reviews, but after reading the positive reviews on the newer models, I decided to purchase it and couldn't be happier.

Though: In order to work to it's maximum capabilities, they should be cleaned after ever use. It only takes a few minutes, to clean the rollers underneath, the filter, empty the compartment that catches the fur, etc. and wipe down the sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Hmmmm. This is good to know. We have stone tile floor and a hues full of fluffy dogs. Cutting down on the number of hair tumble weeds under the furniture would be great.
    That's the best part, cleaning under the couch and bed is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I've been thinking about one, but was wondering if I was just completely lazy. I'm certainly not going to win any Good Housekeeping awards right now.

Anyone use one with hardwood & throw rugs?
    Our house is all hardwood except for a 8x12 carpet in the living room. It did a pretty good job on the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan & Ella's Mom View Post
    With 3 dogs, a kitty and 2 children I feel the exact same way. I vacuum constantly. We have a lot of hardwood downstairs and will be adding more very soon. I have been looking at them for a couple of months but have seen enough negative reviews that I can't pull the trigger.
    The newer models have had good reviews, although I'm sure everyone has different opinions. And again, cleaning it after every use is very important. Maybe the people who gave bad reviews didn't follow the manual for cleaning ?????

I love mine and use it every day. How you use it is also key. Gave my house a good vacuum before I started using the Roomba every day. Don't think it could be used to vacuum once a week and do a good job.

Pretty neat how it docks itself to the charger after each cleaning...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Hmmm, I do like the sound of that Neato. I am one of the world's most negligent vacuumers and the idea of just turning one of these loose on my house periodically is very enticing. I do have a scardy cat, however. Has anyone else dealt with a cat who is scared of everything coming face to face with one of these things?
    Can't speak for scardy cats, but I was positive that my dogs would attack our Neato. Turns out they couldn't care in the least and look slightly annoyed when it comes too close to them while they're chewing on their Nylabones (which, side note, the Neato is fantastic at picking up the little tiny chunks left behind in the carpet/rugs).

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    We've had 5 or 6 and they've all died, or stopped working way before they should have. My DH was dumb enough to buy another, and another and another. Finally he stopped. Usually it was an electronic failure, and the stupid thing just goes around in a small circle. We had one that the dust catching tray would get left behind on the floor, and the unit would continue to vacuum, but the dust would come right out the back. iRobot customer support was the pits. On one of them, they voided our warranty because DH opened the thing up to see what was wrong. The Dirt Dog model was the best of the bunch, but they don't make those anymore. Hope you all have better luck than we did.
    Our first Neato kept getting "lost" in the house and not making it's way back to the recharge station in time. DH called Neato and they sent us an upgrade to a new model, no charge, and paid for return shipping on the old one so they could look into the problem. Excellent customer service - no questions asked, prompt replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I've been thinking about one, but was wondering if I was just completely lazy. I'm certainly not going to win any Good Housekeeping awards right now.

Anyone use one with hardwood & throw rugs?
    Our living room is hardwood with a big rug and our master bath is tile with 2 rugs. It does push the rugs on the tile around because they don't have any grippers on the back. The living room rug has a pad underneath it and it stays put. Rosie (our Neato) even leaves nice little back and forth vacuum lines every day which tricks people into thinking I actually vacuumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post

I love mine and use it every day. How you use it is also key. Gave my house a good vacuum before I started using the Roomba every day. Don't think it could be used to vacuum once a week and do a good job.
    I wonder if that's the issue others have had?

I REALLY want one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jocelynne View Post
    I wonder if that's the issue others have had?

I REALLY want one!
    Mine goes every week day while I'm at work as well. I *try* to vacuum with my Dyson Sundays (key word: try) to get a really deep clean. I will say, even with it running every day our dust bin is almost always close to full every day. I have it charge in my walk-in closet so it's convenient to dump it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracious View Post
    Mine goes every week day while I'm at work as well. I *try* to vacuum with my Dyson Sundays (key word: try) to get a really deep clean. I will say, even with it running every day our dust bin is almost always close to full every day. I have it charge in my walk-in closet so it's convenient to dump it.
    I run mine every day and it is amazing that the bin is almost full.

I have one, I think they work nice if you have the right set up. I unfortunately do not lol. We have an open first floor that is laminate flooring, we also have numerous animals in the house, one of which like to shred his bed at any given point in time. Here's my problem, there are lots of thresholds on this floor as well as a lot of furniture which creates huge issues for this thing. Some of the thresholds are just a tad too high for it and it gets stuck, others it can climb over but it leaves behind whatever particles have not made it to the waste bin. Because of all the furniture there are spaces where this can just not get into as well as getting stuck when it does manage to get in these spaces. I have to pick up pieces of shredded dog bed or toys before letting it run because they will get stuck in it and cause it to stop. I have to clean up after it because of the mess it leaves behind from the thresholds or sometimes hair and dirt start to clump on the sides where is just drags it around leaving it in random spots. It's also not very efficient. If I have to take the time to clean up before and after it, I might as well take 10 minutes to sweep the floor myself verses the hour to hour and half this thing takes to clean one room. While I'm sure this is great for people with completely flat and open areas and maybe fewer pets than I (although I did get a pet rated model) it's not for me. So now I have this expensive thing just sitting idly in a corner collecting dust (how counter productive!) I do think it's great it's just not for me and you have to seriously consider the area this thing will be cleaning, for me it's extremely inconvenient which makes me sad because I wanted a Roomba for so long.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

i don't have one and don't have an opinion, but wanted to note that someone in the next neighborhood has a couple for their yard, and they are HYSTERICAL to watch.

http://www.robomow.com/en-USA/compon...robomowvideous

(oh, and a local tack store has a roomba; it vacuums right around the dogs lying on the floor. )

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    We've had 5 or 6 and they've all died, or stopped working way before they should have. My DH was dumb enough to buy another, and another and another. Finally he stopped. Usually it was an electronic failure, and the stupid thing just goes around in a small circle. We had one that the dust catching tray would get left behind on the floor, and the unit would continue to vacuum, but the dust would come right out the back. iRobot customer support was the pits. On one of them, they voided our warranty because DH opened the thing up to see what was wrong. The Dirt Dog model was the best of the bunch, but they don't make those anymore. Hope you all have better luck than we did.
    Yeah I had similar issues with them dying but only had 2 of them, one which was a warranty replacement. Both started just going in small circles. And a scooba that I liked but also died a way too early death.

Yep, we have one too and like it a lot. Though or dogs hate it!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

We got one from woot and love it! Hubby is the best as he is in charge of it. He sets it up every day in a different room of the house so the whole house gets vacuumed once a week at most. With very little work on our part. He does clean it very frequently, but it isn't hard. I love that little bot.