The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default so why did I get a bad notification when I spoke about health care

I wrote in the pres poll thread that I was voting for Obama because I wanted to be covered on my wife's health plan at her federal job and got a red down thumb.

what is that about?
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

1 members found this post helpful.

This is the problem with the new thumbs down feature. It encourages anonymous bullying instead of intellectual discussion.

5 members found this post helpful.

Somebody doesn't like you having a wife? Or Obama? Or is just a jerk?

Or they have big thumbs and hit the wrong little thumb? I know when I'm on the tablet it looks like I am creeping on everybody's profile because the dang thing never goes where I want it to.

2 members found this post helpful.

It means someone was being a tool. And you are letting it bother you.

Don't give it a second thought and carry on.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

6 members found this post helpful.

Probably someone booing any positive mention of Obama.

Or they don't like gay marriage.

Or they hate obamacare.

Or all of the above!

I have to laugh at a thumbs down I got, for my post explaining simple facts about how college records are "sealed" and that the Obamas haven't had to pay any huge amounts of money to "keep their records private" since those records are private by law to begin with. Someone doesn't like facts, apparently.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

7 members found this post helpful.

Oh FFS, why is anyone bothered over the silly things? Much less apparently so affected that they bother posting about it?

Feel free to thumbs-down me into the ground in the assurance that I won't give it a moment's thought.

9 members found this post helpful.

Don't feel bad... in the transgender thread a poster said that what someone else said was wrong and I asked how. Literally, "how?", asking them to explain what they meant.

I got a thumbs down for that.

It's just not a good or conducive feature.

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    I wrote in the pres poll thread that I was voting for Obama because I wanted to be covered on my wife's health plan at her federal job and got a red down thumb.

what is that about?
    Why ask?
    That is the idea of thumbing.
    Thumbers don't have to say anything, just thumb away.

I am still learning about it, have never used that, have it used on my posts many times now.
    Since, as you say, you can't tell the who or why of the thumbing, why worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Oh FFS, why is anyone bothered over the silly things? Much less apparently so affected that they bother posting about it?

Feel free to thumbs-down me into the ground in the assurance that I won't give it a moment's thought.
    I don't know, personally I prefer to have a discussion about something. I don't mind that someone doesn't agree with me, but the repeated anonymous thumbs downs just get annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    This is the problem with the new thumbs down feature. It encourages anonymous bullying instead of intellectual discussion.
    Really, I (who have not yet bothered with the thumbs up or thumbs down feature) can not bring myself to equate a red thumbs down with "bullying."

It just means, "Oh hey, someone disagreed."

And, in lieu of the general quick put down where someone tries to come up with their best zinger, a thumbs down instead is actually better "intellectual discussion" that what COTH normally comes up with.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Really, I (who have not yet bothered with the thumbs up or thumbs down feature) can not bring myself to equate a red thumbs down with "bullying."

And, in lieu of the general quick put down where someone tries to come up with their best zinger, a thumbs down instead is actually better "intellectual discussion" that what COTH normally comes up with.
    Right there.

Or should I say, thumbs up?

I suppose considering the last point, it's an advantage. Perhaps it's partially the wording... you don't get a notification saying that that someone disagrees with you, you get a notification that your post was "bad".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all worked up about it. It's just annoying and seems to be quite unnecessary.

This this this.

I've seen some pile-ons on COTH that I could equate with bullying, easily. But some random thumbs-down to a comment? I'm sorry (wait, I'm not), that just makes the term "bullying" completely meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    I suppose considering the last point, it's an advantage. Perhaps it's partially the wording... you don't get a notification saying that that someone disagrees with you, you get a notification that your post was "bad".
    I think that's it. Actually, the notification itself I find incredibly annoying. Is there a way to disable to notifications? If I happen to scroll through a thread I don't mind seeing how many "liked"a post of mine, but the big bold "NOTIFICATION!!!!" thing is driving me nuts.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Probably someone booing any positive mention of Obama.

......Someone doesn't like facts, apparently.
    This totally. ROTFL. It shouldn't bother you in the least. It's much more telling about the person who did it than about YOU. In your particular case, getting a thumbs down for that post of yours should actually reinforce that your own views are correct, since the T. Down made no sense whatsoever.

it's not anything official from a mod, OP, it just means someone hit the thumbs down icon, and nothing more.

better than a trainwreck.

So we get notifications if we get a thumbs down, but still no notification on when someone posts in a thread after your post? Man .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

um, can i thumb myself up and down according to my mood swings?

5 members found this post helpful.

Suz, are you canoeing when you do it? I think that's very important to consider

3 members found this post helpful.