The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default coffin joint injections

I need information on this proceedure. I would like to know if anyone has had experience with this and whether it helped the horse.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

a horse i had awhile back had coffin joint effusion and had the joints injected. yes it did help, but so did a shoeing change. as a caution - it can be very painful so make sure you give your horse some pain relief afterwards - like for a few days.

Years ago one of my horses had coffin joint injections and corrective shoeing, on the advise of a referral vet ,did not notice any benefit, just a big dent in my pocketbook.

Getting a response injecting a joint depends on what the problem is in the first place, i.e. if you inject the hock but it is back pain,say because of your saddle fit creating the discomfort you are not going to see a response.
    I have had several horses over the years have the coffin joint injected with excellent results, but it was first determined the pain was coming from inflamed coffin joint.

thanks for the replies. My horse had his coffin joints injected on the advice of a very well respected BNT. His xrays are clean, but several trainers have commented that he looks like his feet are bothering him. My vet goes over him and found no back pain but did find his hocks slightly sore, so we did his hocks too. Since the vet work, he goes out in the pasture and EXPLODES!!! He has NEVER done that before and I have had him since he was born. He gallops and bucks really hard......such a change from his usual quiet demeanor in the field. I am going to ride him for the first time tomorrow since the injections and am planning to be very careful~~~might even longe some before hand...something I seldom do. I was wondering if anyone else had had such an extreme change in ahorse after the injecting??
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

I have had this procedure done for my now retired FEI level dressage gelding who had ringbone (high and low). It kept him sound for a fair amount of time when he was in fairly heavy work...eventually it stopped working as well and I decided to retire him. But, like any joint injection, it can really help.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.