The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help: Horse's neck popping

My weanling was tied up and decided to act totally out of character. She pulled and fought the post and I couldn't get close enough to untie her. Her neck is now popping up near her poll. How serious is it??

get a vet out asap as in now she hung herself which is why i never tie a youngster to a pole to train it to stand as they can break there neck so easily get a vet and get her xrayed as in now

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    get a vet out asap as in now she hung herself which is why i never tie a youngster to a pole to train it to stand as they can break there neck so easily get a vet and get her xrayed as in now
    She has already been taught to stand. She is extremely gentle and never pulls on the lead or when tied. It was completely out of character.

No offense, but that is a silly question. We have many experienced horseman here but none of us has xray cybervision. Call the vet if you are concerned. Not sure popping means anything but it might.

I would x-ray the neck due to the incident and the new popping. My horse's neck pops and I have not x-rayed it, but my vet and chiropractor are not concerned about the popping. I might x-ray it some day out of curiosity.

CALL A VET – ask their advice, they will tell you how to proceed.

I can tell you MY neck started popping after an accident – that is because ligaments in my neck were damaged.

There is no way for us to know if it is a big deal or not. A vet will probably be able to exam and give you an idea of how to proceed. It could be a minor strain, or you could be dealing with broken unstable bones.

CALL A VET – maybe anti-inflammatory are in order – a vet should be able to tell you – maybe xrays are in order – a vet will be able to tell you.

I am not one of those people that runs to the vet for every little thing. But some things, like eyes, potential splinal problems etc need a vet asap.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman