The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I'm really dreading my first one. My digestive system is tricky most of the time from the years of untreated Celiac Disease, lactose intolerance, and God only knows what damage over 49 years. It doesn't take much to throw me off for a week so the idea of drinking these prep fluids and having to stand by a bathroom (yet still work for a living outside as I do) are not happy thoughts. I just got over a stomach flu where I did that for 6 days so I'm over it now....

To make it worse, the drugs they use like twilight sleep make me sick as a dog. I've had them before and I'm nauseous and sick for at least two days afterwards. I have to wonder if all this misery is really going to be worth it.
    I also have a zillion gastro issues and was really worried. AND I do NOT respond well to the twilight drugs (my doc will never go there with me again) or the fentanyl. But... I can say, this is doable. And colon cancer is really not fun at all. My doc gave me the "white diet" for breakfast and lunches the day before, and the phergan suppositories for nausea, and I have been okay. That's just me, of course, not saying it would apply to you, but just saying as someone who has gastro stuff....

My mom and I both have IBS. Buying a fancy pants new horse trailer was too exciting this weekend, and by Tuesday I was screwed up. Great, you know? I should be able to be all SMILEY and instead I'm...blah and ughy. I feel ya.

But-you need to do this. Plan on getting this done maybe at a time when you can lay relatively low- really low- for 3-4 days afterward. Just chill, eat simple foods you know don't mess with you, rebuild your innards/probiotics, and chill out. You need to know.

1 members found this post helpful.

Different doctors use different preps- some are worse than others. Its not fun but its really not that bad.
    My recommendation to drinking the prep- keep it cold. Don't know why but the taste is less strong/distasteful if it is really cold. Use a straw- that way you bypass a lot of your tastebuds. Don't kill yourself to finish the prep- I have never once been able to finish it and it has never been a problem (don't get me wrong drink most of it and as much as you can but I was so worried the first few times because I couldn't finish- didn't need to be)
    I have never had a multi-day prep so I suspect that is pretty unusual and would not get too worried about it (I have had more than 20 colonoscopies with lots of different doctors/practices so sadly I am somewhat of an expert).
    I have never had so little control that I needed to stay near the hospital or anything. If you take it when you are supposed to, you should be fine by the day of the procedure.
    The most common drug used during the procedure is propofol- you won't remember a thing even if you wake up during the procedure. I know one nurse who calls it milk of amnesia.
    Good luck and don't put it off- there is a reason your doctor is recommending it.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

To answer the OPs question...its a lot less awful than cancer.

I lost my mom to colon cancer. She didn't go when she was supposed to go for a colonoscopy when she turned 50, I'm sure because it is "embarassing". By the time she finally did, she was already stage 4. Since I now have a family history of colon cancer, I get to go every three years to get checked. I'm 36 and have had 2 colonoscopies already. I will gladly go through the procedure if it means that I can help prevent myself from going through what my mom did.

Like everyone else said, the prep is the worst part, but it is a small price to pay! My doctor completely knocks me out for the procedure, so I have no clue of what goes on during the procedure and therefore can't be embarassed. Plus, I see the other patients that he has and always think that at least my butt can't be the worst that he's seen, lol!

The prep isn't pleasant, but if you get propofol then you will be awake one second, out the next, and wake up instantly when they take the IV out.

The prep was clear diet the day before (nothing red, no tomatoes or stuff with skins, or seeds). Six Ducolax laxative tablets (not the stool softener tablets), and then a gallon of the salty water mixture about 6 pm. That wasn't too bad-get one of the huge McDonalds straws and put it as far back in your mouth as you can, and mix Crystal light in the water (I used lemonade flavor and still can't drink that flavor, so maybe something else you like but don't drink all of the time). The huge bout of diarrhea started about 30 minutes later.

The second batch of salty water was a real test of wills to down (that starts at midnight to 1 a.m.). Don't sit down through this or it makes it tougher to fill your stomach up without gagging. You will start looking like a basket ball is in your stomach at the height of this. With this batch the diarrhea starts immediately, so stay in the bathroom or right next door though this part. Put a waterproof pad under your butt if you hope to get any sleep at all without having to clean a little liquid up. You need several changes of underwear, and not tight undies either. Leave several books in the bathroom, because the diarrhea isn't painful, but it is unstoppable and frequent'. Get the flushable fanny wipes that are for babies or for hemorrhoids, that makes a great difference in your comfort. No tight clothes, and elastic waist is great.

Get the earliest morning appointment you can, because you won't be sleeping anyway, and the sooner you get in, the sooner it's over. I was in at 7:30, and out and back to the motel by 9 a.m. Don't be afraid to ask people to give you a ride, you'll be amazed at how many people will offer if you say you need one.

A colonoscopy isn't pleasant, but it sure beats finding out the colonoscopy you put off means a polyp had time to turn cancerous and spread. Being embarrassed or just not wanting to be uncomfortable is not worth risking your life. Please get colonoscopies and other screening at recommended intervals, because it can save your life.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

The cleanup goes best if you have not eaten heavily for a couple of days before, just light soups and such, because there is not that much to clean up then.

I had two surgeries that required cleanup, plus two colonoscopies.
    Wish someone had told me all that you are reading here before the first one, would have been easier doing things right that first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Ask for a behind the ear nausea patch, that last three to five days.
    Works for me, that also get nauseous from anesthesia drugs.

I had a complication, they went both ways, endoscopy and surgery for Barret's esophagus also.
    They could not go up very far from the nether region, so they woke me up and sent me to the big hospital to finish there with other diagnostics, while I was already cleaned out and it ended making for a very long, confusing and tiresome day.

I asked my Dr if that all was absolutely necessary and he said definitely non-negotiable, I had to do it.

Why don't you ask your Dr and see, you may squeak by a few more years ... although with your history of other problems, maybe not a good idea to take the risk that something else is in there that should not be and could have been fixed before it is a crisis.
    Thanks for the suggestions and sharing your experience with me. I know in my heart that I should do this with my history but I'm sure not looking forward to it. It sounds like you had a rough time.

Thanks for all the good ideas and suggestions! I will probably need to schedule this for a week I'm not too busy (LOL).

As most people said, the prep was awful. Propofol rocks however! Michael Jackson has good taste.

Default Wait, it's not that bad!

As someone said earlier, different doctors use different preps. I just had one this spring and it totally was not bad at all. I had to drink a ton of Miralax, and don't remember if I took any pills (certainly not 30 at a time). The Miralax is *nothing* like magnesium citrate, which is what some people are talking about I think.

Not eating the day of wasn't fun, but really not a big deal. I know they didn't use propofol on me (I asked) but whatever it was knocked me out instantly and then I woke up instantly when it was over. I was not groggy at all, and went out to lunch with my husband immediately afterwards. I felt totally fine, and needed no recovery time at all, I mean *none*.

It was completely Not A Big Deal. I would have another colonoscopy in a heartbeat before any kind of dental procedure. Now *that* I'm afraid of!

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Frankly, neither the prep nor the actual event is any big deal. People talk about it like it's the end of the world, but if it' the tenth or twelveth worst thing that happens to you, you have lived a charmed life.

If you have to drink the half gallon, drink it through a straw and suck hard candy during and after the drinking. Don't use lemon drops, they are too rough. I liked cinnamon discs. You will fart like a steam engine afterward, so don't go out in public, even if you are starving. Set up a nice meal at home in advance so you can fart without shame while still eating a good meal.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Everyone I know who has had one has said the same thing, "the prep was nasty but the procedure was nothing." I had my first one last year and I can agree. I had trouble drinking the Go Lytely prep stuff (what a stupid name) but I did it. I was warned that if the prep wasn't thorough they wouldn't be able to see everything they needed to see and I"d have to do it again. No thanks. I drank it all, I followed the directions to a T and the doctor had no trouble getting good images. Now, a few years ago I had an endoscopy (where they look down into your stomach; no prep required). They gave me fentanyl and versid and I don't remember anything (I remember the doctor giving me the drugs in my IV and then I remember waking up after the procedure). I asked if they used the same drugs for the colonoscopy and they said yes, so I figured it would be like the endoscopy. Well, the doctor did give me the drugs before the colonoscopy but they didn't have the same effect. I was awake and watching on the monitor (hey, I find it fascinating, weird me). Although I was awake and aware the whole time it was not at all painful. If it had been I would have told the doctor. So, your experience may vary - you may be fully aware or have no memory of it, but if you're awake and at all bothered, let the doctor know.

Recovery was nothing - stopped on the way home for lunch and then went about my day. Yes, everybody puts off doing this but I know several people with colon cancer and years ago lost a distant relative to it. I was so sure they'd find polyps in my colon but they didn't and I can now wait ten years to do this again. yeah! It's like a mammogram - you put it off forever and when you finally do it you think, "why did I wait so long?"

Considering how sick I was prior to it, the prep was nothing. I took the horse pills. Choking them down (gag reflex) was terrible. Once that was done... like I said, my insides were already in such distress that I very well could not have noticed the effects!

I told them I didn't want to remember a thing. NOTHING. I remember once waking up on my side on a table in a dark room, I don't remember FEELING anything but I fussed a bit, the nurse soothed me and I went back to sleep. I told them, look, I know what you're going to do. I know you do it everyday. I don't, and I don't want to remeber a damn thing. So drugs. LOTS OF F'ING DRUGS.

No pain afterwards either.

My now husband took me out of the building (I barely remember this), poured me into bed and I slept the rest of the day.

So all in all? Forgettable experience. I barely remember it. And that suits me JUST fine.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I've had upper (down the mouth) and lower (up the bum) scopes because there was concern I had Crohn's. They're not awful at all. You have to follow the prep perfectly. There is no point going through all that and cheating on the prep, because then you'd have to come back again sooner if the doc can't see much. I remember they gave me a sedative, but I was still wide awake and observed the doc taking a biopsy or two (doesn't hurt by the way - you look at this thing that opens and closes on a teeny-tiny piece of the inside of your intestine and you think oh boy, but then you're so amazed because you don't feel a thing). I actually didn't mind watching on the big screen. It made me more relaxed at the next checkup I needed to have because I knew exactly what was going to go on. The next time, the doc made sure I was out cold, but then I took a very long time to wake up! I think when I go back in for the next time I'd rather be slightly awake.

It's nothing. Really and truly.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Pill’s were black listed because people didn't drink enough and had renal failure.

I have never gone twilight.. they can completely anestitize you if you want.

Grosse tip.. skip the TP and hop in the shower… Bidet’ for poor kids. For when you do use TP splurge and buy the most expensive Charmin you can.

Someone else said it but there is no time between thinking and pooping about halfway through, make yourself comfortable in the bathroom and just chill out

Happy pooping! (My boyfriend always loves to tell me that)

oh and if I'm not already nose-tubed in the hospital, half-lightly is my prep of choice for a script, It comes with "flavor packets" but it still looks and tastes like seamen despite smelling wonderfully of oranges. or if they'll let me magnesium citrate and Dolcolax as a first choice.

I've had just about every camera or scope known to medicine up there and I colonoscopy was the easiest one of them all. I've had a sigmoidoscopy (sp?) a colonoscopy and a proctoscope when I was young. The proctoscope was the worst because I had a reverse reaction to the valium so I was wide awake, cursed like a sailor (I was about 11 at the time). I've had GI issues all my life but the twilight procedures really aren't bad. I think all I remember of the colonoscopy was after and the nurse monitoring my heart rate which slowed a bit too much because I was SO RELAXED. Had some seriously trippy nightmares that night but nothing else.

I agree that the prep was the worst part. I remember seeing the room swirl and going to sleep. I also remember "someone" complaining that it hurt, and hearing a voice saying it was almost over... but I really do not remember any pain at all.. I assume it was me complaining ... don't remember! I had a friend come and pick me up and, as usual after any kind of anesthetic, I slept the rest of the day.
    I should go and have another one done. I got the reminder two years ago but the surgeon said I was still good for a few years. I will wait until I get the next reminder!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

It really is not negotiable - Just.Do.It.

As my GP said (this is what convinced me to have the procedure): "It's such a stupid way to die"

Prep is icky.
    Nurse I worked with told me to mix the "stuff" with 7-Up or gingerale and that helped.
    Mmmmm, salty & sweet w/bubbles!
    But not too terrible and installing oneself in the bathroom post-prep is a good idea.

I had Versed, a half-dose to start, so I watched about the first 10min of my procedure, then I was O.U.T.
    Actually amazing to me to see my insides - seemed like miles of pink subway.....
    And I cheated: nurse co-worker picked me up - colonoscopy center was minutes from where we worked - then I drove myself home.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    As someone said earlier, different doctors use different preps. I just had one this spring and it totally was not bad at all. I had to drink a ton of Miralax, and don't remember if I took any pills (certainly not 30 at a time). The Miralax is *nothing* like magnesium citrate, which is what some people are talking about I think.

Not eating the day of wasn't fun, but really not a big deal. I know they didn't use propofol on me (I asked) but whatever it was knocked me out instantly and then I woke up instantly when it was over. I was not groggy at all, and went out to lunch with my husband immediately afterwards. I felt totally fine, and needed no recovery time at all, I mean *none*.

It was completely Not A Big Deal. I would have another colonoscopy in a heartbeat before any kind of dental procedure. Now *that* I'm afraid of!
    This was my experience. Not a big deal. I mixed mine with Gatorade and other than feeling sick to my stomach from drinking so much liquid in the short time frame, it was fine. I didn't taste the mixture.

I was out for the count during the actual procedure and woke up, got dressed and went home. Clear for another 10 years.