Colitis - Needs Jingles and has anyone else ever dealt with it?
My sister's mare was diagnosed with colitis today. We aren't able to afford sending her to the hospital, so we're going to try and get her through this at home with our vet. I've dealt with ALL sorts of equine issues, emergencies, quirks and health problems, but this is new for me.
Right now, she's stable. Still eating a soaked senior feed and hay. She's clinically dehydrated so she was pumped full of fluids and electrolytes via stomach tube today. She does have a fever, and we're icing her feet for 15 minutes every hour because she has a pulse in her feet. She's stocked up behind, and a little out of it. She's currently recieving 7 ccs of Banamine every 5 hours per vet instruction. Anyone else have any tips or good stories? I've been researching it for the past few hours and all I'm doing is scaring myself. So weird - can't seem to determine a cause as of now. Pulled blood on her so maybe that will give any answer, but her life has had no changes in it for the past 5 years, and she hasn't been on antibiotics ever.
Yes, I have. The pulse in the feet is obviously not good. My mare was hospitalized and they eventually got her through severe colitis (bute- induced), but the ensuing acute laminitis caused us to lose her within about a week of the onset.
You might want to ask your vet, since you are trying to pull her through this at home, if Previcoxx might be a better choice than Banamine. I'm not saying that it is (it wasn't available when my mare was stricken), but I would think Banamine could exacerbate the gut issues.
So sorry to hear about this. Many, many jingles coming your way.
Yes, we treated at the vet clinic because I worked there and was able to watch her 24/7 there. She was 4 or 5 months pregnant and she made it through and delivered a healthy foal.
It was about 2 years ago but I believe we had her on small doses of banamine and sedation every 3-4 hours, metronidazole and IV fluids. I'll try to find the records to see what else we had her on as it seems like there was one other thing.
We did labs daily to track progress - I believe that we had her there for 5-6 days.
Sid - She's very unlikely to be a candidate for Previcoxx use, even if it is a better option, as she refuses to eat pills - whether they are ground up, hidden in a carrot etc. But thanks for the suggestion!
StoneLily - Always glad to hear about a success story!
Rocky - The vet did bring that up, but thought it was late in the year for it. She's been vaccinated, although we all know that's not 100%. We'll know more when her bloodwork comes back, and the vet is hesitant to start her on tetracyclines until we know for sure what we're dealing with because she doesn't want to stress her digestive system or worsen it.
Just finished round #5 of icing her feet. Her temperature is down, and she is still producing normal manure. She's more alert, probably helped by the Banamine. Before icing her feet this round, her feet felt cooler and the pulse seemed lessened. Something small I know and I know things like this can head south quickly, but I'm trying to remain hopeful.
If we are talking Right Dorsal Colitis, I'm not sure that Banamine will help you. Maybe help you rest for a few hours, but NSAIDS are the worst thing you can do for Colitis. I'd ask your vet about the effect using NSAIDS (Bute,Banamine) are on the colitis itself. Unfortunatly sometimes you HAVE to when they are really uncomfortable, but see if it would be better to avoid and use some tranquilizers to keep your sisters horse calm.
Also the hay - maybe there is a difference between Colitis and Right dorsal colitis I don't understand, but Right Dorsal Colitis the big deal is to reduce the load on their gut. So no long stem roughage (hay), feed 4-6 times a day grain/soaked alfafa cubes/dengi/beet pulp/whatever your vet thinks. I was always told the purina senior was a great grain for this because its alfalfa based and fiber is a concern when you remove hay. Soaking it helps so its great your doing that, but I think you will probably end up removing it completly.
There is a lot more to know about it, but my suggestion to you would be to ask your vet about those two things to start with during your next discussion. I think that would lead to other good discusions.
Best of luck and huge jingles. My horse was hospitalized for 2 weeks, lived with my vet for 9 months and 4 years later still cant eat hay. He is managable though, back to riding and showing. I think most horses come out of it and go back to hay at some point, he was pretty severe. Still has issues, I've just gotten better at dealing with them.
Another thing you could do is ask your vet to consult with one of the big equine veterinary universities as to the protocol. I have had situations where I could not take a horse to a hospital (fractured neck, etc), but the university staff worked closely with my vet remotely to help us get through a massive problem on site (when the horse could not be moved). They are usually uber helpful and you are not charged for the remote consult from field vet to university hospital where they've seen a lot more of this than vets in the field.
Keeping my fingers crossed things are improving. It's a scary and awful dreadful situation. Getting specialist in internal medicine on board, with your vet, can be life saving.
Well, first I'd like to say how much I appreciate all the helpful responses! Thanks so much.
There's good news and iffy news right now. After 24 hours of banamine, her fever was gone and appetite was normal. We've been weaning her off the banamine with no fever spikes and a continued normal appetite. She's still producing normal manure and normal urine. Her DP is gone, and her feet are cool to the touch. We're cold-hosing and wrapping to bring the fluid out of her legs, and she's turned out right now for the first time and seems to be content. Her GI sounds are normal. Basically, right now, we're hopeful, but waiting on the bloodwork to return so we can have some answers.
The vet thinks now that colitis may have been the wrong diagnosis, and she did check a few others things to try and find the source of the fever. Lungs sound good, heart sounds good etc. May look into some kidney and liver or even muscle possibilities once the bloodwork comes back, which will be this evening or tomorrow morning. As of right now though, she's basically a mystery but seems for now to be on the upswing. Keeping my fingers crossed!
I know you said it might not be colitis, but I came across this tonight -- a study at CSU Vet school:
Equine Medicine & Surgery
Determining the Effectiveness of a New Anti-Inflammatory Agent on Clinical Characteristics of Horses with Severe Gastrointestinal Disease
Adult horses (>1 year old) with surgical disease of the gastrointestinal tract or diarrhea.
The purpose of this study is to characterize the efficacy of phenylmethimazole, a novel and potent anti-inflammatory agent, in reducing signs of endotoxemia and inflammation (high heart rate, pain, reddened mucous membranes, fever) in horses with severe colic or colitis (diarrhea).
Call Dr. Diana Hassel at (970) 297-4271
As mentioned by Sid -- sometimes the big schools can help with advice...
Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.
I'm happy to hear your horse is on the mend! The only case of colitis I ever dealt with turned out to be PHF. The vet was originally thinking a clostridial bacterial infection as PHF was rare in our area, but it did turn out to be PHF in the end.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.
What also came to mind when you posted was some sort of toxicity. It aways seems that Fall is the time of year when horses are most prone when they start experimenting with weeds...or sometimes in 2nd or 3rd cut hay that can also be more prone to weeds. Can affect kidneys and/or liver, fever, projectile diahrrea and sometimes laminitis. So it will be interesting to see that bloodwork.
Whatever it is...so glad to hear she is doing better!
Good news! The bloodwork is back and she has a confirmed diagnosis of anaplasma phagocytophilum. Scary name, but not such a scary problem. It's basically a tick-borne illness that can be easily taken care of with antibiotics. However, she appears to have kicked it herself, although we're going to continue to monitor her temp for the week to make sure she doesn't need a round of medication. So grateful it's something easy!