The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How many times do you contact a company to fix an error in your favor?

I am starting to feel like I have spent too much of my time on an issue with a company crediting me for something they should not of. It seems like every time I talk to them they increase the credit instead of taking it away. How many times ethically do I have to contact them before I just accept the un-earned credit and move on?

Hmmmm, I've only had issues in the other direction and, in that case, I will hassle them until I get resolution.

Is there anyway to just ignore the credit and not use it? If that's the case, I wouldn't waste my time and let them just waste their money if they are that incompetent.

No, I called to tell them that they sent me two items instead of one, sat on hold for ages and finally after a long conversation convinced them they really sent me two instead of one. Then they talked to a manager, finally got a someone to come to the house and pick up the very large object. I thought all was good til I got a note they had issued a refund to my CC. I only paid for one however. So now I have to call them and sit on hold to tell them to take their money back?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'm contemplating the ethics of this right now. The difference would be to the tune of about $100. Out-of-state purchase that was put in my bag without being rung up.

How much is due diligence?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I'm contemplating the ethics of this right now. The difference would be to the tune of about $100. Out-of-state purchase that was put in my bag without being rung up.

How much is due diligence?
    Due diligence is calling the store and offering to pay by cc over the phone.

I once received a significant refund that I don't think I should have.
    I called the place, was directed to call a second office, which I did, and was directed to call a third office, which I did but which did not pick up its phone during business hours (which were stated IN the vm recording). I left a message and never heard back.
    Ohhhhkayyy then.

The second they call me back they can have their money, but it's been about five years, so I'm not holding my breath.

I would call them once to tell them to take their money back, underscoring the costs to me in the way of time. If they still fail to correct, I'd take Canaqua's advice, leave the credit in my account and let the incompetence suffer its price.

I've gotten ca. $1K in plumbing and a couple hundred $ worth of chimney repairs that way. They did the work, never sent bills despite my calls. Turns out that the plumber was going through a divorce having to do with his cocaine abuse; don't know about the other guy.

Most of us get ripped off enough without expending too much trying to protect others from ripping off themselves.