The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse wont wear boots/straps

I've got a great little ottb that had a blown suspensory before I got him. He has never been lame on that leg since I've had him and had a pretty good year in the baby greens last year. since I've had him he's never liked having boots or leg wraps on at all but it wasn't the end of the world for him either. He had some serious complications with his gelding this spring and ended up having to have major surgery. He was on stall rest and has just been put back into almost full blown work this past week. He has now digressed into not wanting any boots or wraps on him at all. He trots around like a prize winning saddlebred until they are removed. It doesn't matter how long they are on he will continue to trot like a goon. The vet has stressed to me how important it is for him to have some support on that front leg so I am at a loss here. My once hack winning child has turned into a sowing machine. If I take the boots off he is back to normal. Is this mental for him? Or should I have the vet come take a look at him? Would it be harmful if I just worked him without any leg support? I love this guy to pieces but If it's not one thing with him it's another. I'm starting to think it's a mental problem and nothing physical.

First, there are no boots out there that provide support but they do provide protection against brushing injuries. Second, he's being a baby and as long as they are well fitted and neither too loose nor too tight I'd leave them on him until he gets used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    First, there are no boots out there that provide support but they do provide protection against brushing injuries. Second, he's being a baby and as long as they are well fitted and neither too loose nor too tight I'd leave them on him until he gets used to them.
    This! I'd buy a cheap pair of splint boots and make him live in them for a little - maybe over night in his stall and then turned out in them. There isn't much he can do to harm himself with a pair of neoprene splint boots as opposed to getting stuck in polos, wraps, or destroying and expensive pair of boots.

I'd just stop using the boots.

Why does your vet want him in boots, does he interfere?

I'd buy a set of the Woof boots that fit well. They're pretty foolproof, comfortable, durable, and not super expensive. I'd have him wear them in the stall, hand graze, etc. just get used to them. Then I'd lunge him in them and turn him out in them. After a while, he'll get used to them.

How do you ship him? Does he tolerate standing wraps? What would you do if he had to be wrapped for an injury?! Surely he was wrapped for the suspensory?! So I think it's more mental/doesn't like the feel than anything else.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    This! I'd buy a cheap pair of splint boots and make him live in them for a little - maybe over night in his stall and then turned out in them. There isn't much he can do to harm himself with a pair of neoprene splint boots as opposed to getting stuck in polos, wraps, or destroying and expensive pair of boots.
    I would NEVER leave a horse in boots other than when he was being ridden or supervised!! Instead of an old suspensory, you will probably have a fresh bow!! Boots do nothing to support a suspensory or bow. Have someone teach you to put on a "good" support bandage using an ace bandage or leave him alone. You could end up doing him more harm than good. JMO
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't, but it was VERY common at my last barn for horses to be turned out in Woof boots. Virtually everyone BUT me did it. We had our share of problems. None caused by turnout in boots.
    ~Veronica

Yup, thousands and thousands of horses live in boots at all times while turned out. Properly fitted and put on, in safe paddocks, the possibility of injury are VERY low. Just get boots that are as cool as possible. Eskadrons left on... BAD, woof boots with sheepskin... OK.
    I don't boot my horses for turn out but don't have problems with others doing it.

First, your vet is silly to think a boot is going to offer ANY support. Just not possible.

Second, if he doesn't like boots, he doesn't like boots. Continuing to insist he get used to them and have him move in a funny way can cause him to injure himself. Just leave him be! He'll live. Unless he is a wicked interferer (which, if he's a hack winner, I'm gonna guess he's not), I would just stop worrying about.

I had a horse who HATED hind boots, with a passion. He would kick out be quite vicious about it. So, he didn't wear hind boots. Not worth getting my head kicked off or ride a horse who was constantly kicking out.

Boots do not support in that way. I would be more worried about my horse trotting around in such an extravagant manner while wearing boots then for him to go without boots.

Do you think the boots are making him uncomfortable if this is new behavior.

My main concern for this horse would be less about boots for riding in (although they can be helpful for protection) and more about what you'd do if he HAD to be wrapped - for an injury, for surgery, etc. And if your TB is anything like MY TB, you're going to need to eventually.

When you do boot him and he acts like a weenie about it, how long are you leaving them on? Whatever it is, do it longer. I might just leave him in his stall with his boots on, since he is less likely to get into trouble in a confined space, and go clean my tack for a while. Try a different type of boot to see if it might be a particular material or fit he's reacting too, if you haven't already. You might also experiment with applying standing wraps and seeing how he reacts - will he let you put them on? Will he act like a freak about those as well? It sounds to me like he needs to just get over himself and deal with the boots, and go on with his life.
    OTTB owner.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I don't, but it was VERY common at my last barn for horses to be turned out in Woof boots. Virtually everyone BUT me did it. We had our share of problems. None caused by turnout in boots.
    Sure there are many horses who CAN turn out in boots...not my point. THIS horse has issues with boots and will most likely grab, tear, rip at them to get them off. Results in more injury. THAT is why I don't recommend leaving them on at length, unattended. It is a moot point anyway...boots are "for support" as recommended by vet. Boots don't support. Horse HATES boots. Leaving them on does "what" to solve the problem???
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Sure there are many horses who CAN turn out in boots...not my point. THIS horse has issues with boots and will most likely grab, tear, rip at them to get them off. Results in more injury. THAT is why I don't recommend leaving them on at length, unattended. It is a moot point anyway...boots are "for support" as recommended by vet. Boots don't support. Horse HATES boots. Leaving them on does "what" to solve the problem???
    That's why I suggested working him up to it. Starting with putting them on in the stall, supervised. Then walking him in them. Then lunging. THEN turning him out in them once he's gotten more accustomed to the feeling. I didn't say "buy 'em and chuck him out wearing them." I suggested desensitizing him to them over time, including building up to him wearing the boots on turnout for a while.

I agree boots don't provide support. But sooner or later, this horse made need to have something on his leg. And it beehoves the OP to get him used to that feeling NOW as opposed to, say, when he's got a soft tissue injury that needs bandaging and he's freaking out because he's not used to something on his leg. I say this as someone with a goofy retired OTTB who can be a b@stard when he needs to be wrapped or wear ice boots for a veterinary reason. I wish I'd have worked on that issue more pre-retirement. I didn't because he didn't *need* boots for riding. Now he's a giant PITA when you need to do something to his legs for vet reasons (well, he's a giant PITA for lots of reasons, but that's one of them).
    ~Veronica

Usually I would agree that he needs to just get over it but I had two different horses over the years that were freakishly sensitive to boots. One hated the bell boots and would act lame if you put them on but the minute you took them off he was fine. The other horse would blister if you put any kind of boot leather or eskadron (type) or even a stable wrap. I ended up only being able to use polo wraps on him. In both cases I ended up doing what they "wanted" rather then making them get used to it. Guess it depends on how important making him wear boots is to you. If he isn't interfering I'd say just leave it alone. If he is and you have to have some kind of protection maybe try polo wraps? Or try putting boots on him while in the turn out paddock (if you do that). Perhaps wearing them when he is on his own a few time will help him disassociate boots with being ridden. Just keep an eye on him so he doesn't rip them off with his teeth as that could create a worse injury like a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    First, your vet is silly to think a boot is going to offer ANY support. Just not possible.

Second, if he doesn't like boots, he doesn't like boots. Continuing to insist he get used to them and have him move in a funny way can cause him to injure himself. Just leave him be! He'll live. Unless he is a wicked interferer (which, if he's a hack winner, I'm gonna guess he's not), I would just stop worrying about.

I had a horse who HATED hind boots, with a passion. He would kick out be quite vicious about it. So, he didn't wear hind boots. Not worth getting my head kicked off or ride a horse who was constantly kicking out.
    This.

The majority of boots (woof boots, galloping boots, "tendon" boots, open front boots, polos, those fancy fleecy "sport" boots, etc.) are not designed to provide any support ... they protect against brushing, interfering and direct strikes to the horse's leg. They do this very well, and can prevent certain types on injury in doing it, but they do not provide any support to the horse's suspensory.

The only type of boots that may provide some marginal amount of support would be SMB's or Legacy boots, but these are not something I would want to leave on a horse for extended periods of time, as they tend to allow heat to build up, and they also soak up water in wet conditions and get really heavy, which could actually contribute to causing strain on tendons and suspensories. So while they may be fine for short rides in the arena, they are not good for turnout, long rides, or cross country riding.

And really, how much support is a little piece of neoprene going to provide against 1200 lbs of horse?