The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Auctioning a breeding to Avalon Equine Stallion to help Eddo Hoekstra

I am so grateful to Kathy St Martin & Jos Mottershead of Avalon Equine and Equine-Reproduction.com for their kind donation of a breeding to any of their stallions as a fund-raiser for the dressage clinician, Eddo Hoekstra, who in June suffered a paralyzing stroke just weeks after becoming a first time father.

The proceeds of this thread auction will go towards the purchse for Eddo of an all terrain motorized wheelchair so that he can begin teaching his riding students again.

Details of the auction:

You will place your bids via PM to me for a breeding to your choice of any of the stallions owned by Avalon Equine and that are standing at stud to the public at the time you choose to use your breeding. Let me know in your PM if you will permit me to give your COTH handle as highest bidder. Otherwise, I will just post the high bid amount.

Using PM instead of publicly on the thread was suggested by a member who wisely suggested that there might be those who'd want to bid privately.

Their stallions to date include:

Mannhattan - 16.2 hand gray Oldenburg

Edward Scissorhands d'Avalon - 16.1 hand homozygous black Oldenburg

Belafonte d'Avalon - 14.3 hand black German Riding Pony

Goldmaker - 16.1 hand Cremello TB

Colorado Skrodstrup - 15.3 hand bay leopard spotted Knabstrupper

See the stallions and their offspring at www.avalon-equine.com

The auction will run until midnight on All Hallow's Eve (October 31, 2012).

Let the bidding begin!
    Last edited by Sonesta; Sep. 28, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

What a kind and generous thing to do!

Thank you to Kathy and Jos and to you Sonesta for your efforts as well.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

This is a very worthwhile endeavor. Very nice, Kathy!

I don't know Eddo, but having had two strokes myself in the past 9 months (luckily with not too many lasting deficits), I know how the medical bills can pile up, and how one's lifestyle can be seriously altered.

Wishing you much success with this fund raiser, and wishing Eddo much luck for a speedy and full recovery!

Knowing that it won't stick. I'll start the bidding at $100.00

Thanks to Kathy and Jos and their never ending generosity!
    I'll go $200.

If I thought that a Harry/MFT foal would be anything but a wreck I would be bidding a LOT.

Ok, I'm going to allow the bids to be placed here on the thread or by PM. If someone on this thread is outbid by PM, I will post it here (at least the amount that was bid if the PM bidder doesn't want to be identified).
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

OH, and did you read on the Dressage forum thread about the Eddo fundraisers that COTH's own Judy Yancey has donated 2 weekend nights or 3 weekday nights at her wonderful new Bed & Breakfast, Valentine Hill, in the Texas Hill Country in Fredericksburg???

It will be in the silent auction at our fundraiser here at Sonesta Farms on Oct 27, but if you cannot make it to the fundraiser and want to bid on it, send me a PM to see how that can be accomplished. It's a $700 value! Here's the website http://www.absolutecharm.com/ValentineHillMain.html

Thank you, Judy!
    Last edited by Sonesta; Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

what generosity! kudos to Kathy and Jos, and Judy!

I have a PM bid for $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    Edelweiss?
    We limit the breedings to Edelweiss. So he is not offered in this donation, unfortunately.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Update on terms of breeding:

Limited to stallions standing to the public at time of use.

Use within 3 breeding seasons beginning 2013

Collection/shipping not included. Collection is $150. Shipping is at cost.

Fresh cooled semen on all but Belefonte. If he is competing it will be good quality frozen.
    Last edited by Sonesta; Oct. 1, 2012 at 09:22 AM.

I know it's been posted elsewhere, but I'll add it here. Thank goodness for people like Rebecca willing to to push things forward and make people aware. I knew "of" Eddo, but didn't know really WHO he was. I was stunned at how young he is!!

I think we all become a bit tunnel visioned with our lives. I know "I" do. My dad used to always say, "When your up to your a#$ in alligators, it's hard to remember that your original plan was to drain the swam!". Boy can I relate to that. So, with that said, if you're not interested in a breeding to any of our boys, perhaps the foal raffle will appeal. If the foal raffle doesn't appeal, perhaps a stay at Judy Yancey's B&B will appeal. If the B&B doesn't appeal, perhaps simply donating $5, $10, or $100 to help Eddo out will appeal !

I'm of the mind that if everyone that goes to the Leg-Up page simply donates $5.00, it would be absolutely AMAZING how much money we could raise! We'd have Eddo's mobility wheelchair in NO time at all!

And, even if you just can't help financially, if you simply share and post and spread the word, it's amazing how much something that simple can help! Thank you everyone for helping out! Even if I don't always say it, I truly, truly appreciate the assistance!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Amen and Amen! And thank you to everyone!

Sonesta - I put it up on our FB page (12,000+ fans) and have asked people to spread the word on our blog as well. Thank you all for doing this for Eddo and his family.

I don't know Eddo, but sending huge jingles his way! And kudos to Kathy, Jos, and everyone else helping to raise funds for him.

As far as the breedings go, I know it won't last, but I'll bid $400.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Awesome, Timex!

And everyone should order a T-shirt. They are really nice. Take a look at them at www.sonestafarms.com/eddotshirt.htm

bump

We now have a bid by PM of $500.