The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for? (answers kept private)

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barack Obama

259 62.11%
  • Mitt Romney

130 31.18%
  • Other

28 6.71%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    I guess I don't live in the same bubble as you because I see plenty of lazy people every day. They're the ones that spend their blissful days of unemployment sitting around their houses with their buddies and driving nicer cars than I do. And it's not because they are not physically or mentally capable of getting jobs or making a better life for themselves. They choose not to because it's easier to wait and have other people do things for them. It's not a "hatred for helping people". I personally have absolutely no problem helping people who are trying to help themselves. None. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the same way I do. Society's new-found hatred for anyone who has assets is sickening.

And I always love to see people finger pointing at churches and "Christians" for their downfalls or their lack of community involvement. Most (not all) who point the fingers are also not spending their time in the soup kitchens, helping the homeless, or donating large sums of their own money to charitable organizations that directly benefit people. But let he who is without fault cast the first stone.

What do you do that you are in and out of these lazy people's houses all the time? And has any one of them actually said that they don't want to work because someone will give them anything they want?

I don't actually doubt that there are a FEW people out there like that, there are users of the system at all levels. But I think there are far more out there who want to work and be independent, but are stuck in a poverty rut, and have yet to find a way out.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I did? Where?
    How strange, because I don't think that at all.
    Maybe you have me confused with some other poster?

YOU did write what you did, see the quoted post I was responding to.
    I see it was SkipHiLad4me who wrote that "No one wants to work for anything." I said that's not true and you called me dramatic. ROTFL. Poor Bluey. It's dramatic to stand up for Americans?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    I'm not letting you get by with this statement. Get this straight once and for all: there is no "hatred for anyone who has assets." There is no class war. Republicans keep trying to paint that picture and it simply will not work.

I'm not selfish. I'm happy when people do well. The difference is those of us who have done well are in a position to help those who aren't as fortunate as we have been. Republicans hate everybody. You don't have money? You must be lazy. I'm sure there are lazy people out there, but your viewpoint lumps everybody who isn't successful by your definition of success into the category of "of course they're lazy." That simply is not true.

I see the difference.
    There you are wrong, very wrong.
    Some democrats, listen to them when they speak in the interviews, are the ones continuously picking at anyone that has or looks like it has any kind of money as people with poor ethics for having money, or anyone that has something that money can buy, like big screen TVs and Hummers were mentioned in our discussions right here.

In fact, that was the main theme this morning in an interview with people in, I think OH and WI, where town people were saying Obama is a poor man's friend, Romney is a rich and so immediately suspect of not caring for "poor people".

If that is not class warfare, well, let me know what the new definition may be, according to you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Saying that one person is a rich man's friend is saying one person is a rich man's friend. It's not class warfare. Sheesh.

I see it was SkipHiLad4me who wrote that "No one wants to work for anything." I said that's not true and you called me dramatic. ROTFL. Poor Bluey. It's dramatic to stand up for Americans?
    That post just doesn't make much sense, especially that last sentence.

Saying that one person is a rich man's friend is saying one person is a rich man's friend. It's not class warfare. Sheesh.
    That is not what we are talking about here.

We will just have to agree on principle to disagree here, since we can't even get on the same wavelength to discuss this.

OMG.

YOU wrote:

In fact, that was the main theme this morning in an interview with people in, I think OH and WI, where town people were saying Obama is a poor man's friend, Romney is a rich and so immediately suspect of not caring for "poor people".

If that is not class warfare, well, let me know what the new definition may be, according to you.
    to which I replied.

Then you wrote:
    That is not what we are talking about here.

We will just have to agree on principle to disagree here, since we can't even get on the same wavelength to discuss this.
    I agree that it's pointless to talk with you. You have been enormously confused throughout this entire thread. Buh-bye, Bluey.

4 members found this post helpful.

Bluey, you are going to have to give up with AnneFS. She makes a statement like "republicans hate everybody" and then can't see where she is behaving exactly as those she claims to despise. Blind, completely blind.

I have a lifetime worth of experience with people who "choose" not to work and will flat out tell you they would rather take what they can get from the government and be "free to live their own lives" than have to report to a job every day. I grew up in that environment, and they aren't shy about it. But if you ask a democrat, these people either don't really exist or there are just one or two scattered throughout. Please. My sister is one of them, and while visiting with her and her pals EVERY single one of the group shared why they would rather be "free" than have to work. Every. One. of a group of more than 20. Hey, if they want to be "free" that is fine with me. But the government shouldn't be paying for it.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    What do you do that you are in and out of these lazy people's houses all the time? And has any one of them actually said that they don't want to work because someone will give them anything they want?

I don't actually doubt that there are a FEW people out there like that, there are users of the system at all levels. But I think there are far more out there who want to work and be independent, but are stuck in a poverty rut, and have yet to find a way out.
    Exactly. It's actually a myth that welfare recipients and the like sit around eating bon bons all day and watching soap operas. In reality, most of these individuals lead chaotic, hectic lives that none of us would want to live. Things that may seem simple to some of us really are not. To put it bluntly, a lot of these people are just kind of "all over the place" dealing with minor disaster after minor disaster in their daily lives. And it's not necessarily that they could get it together, but choose not to. In many cases, there are physical or mental health factors in play, or, frankly, low IQs. Pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps isn't always possible, although the Republican party likes to perpetuate that myth.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    Bluey, you are going to have to give up with AnneFS. She makes a statement like "republicans hate everybody" and then can't see where she is behaving exactly as those she claims to despise. Blind, completely blind.

I have a lifetime worth of experience with people who "choose" not to work and will flat out tell you they would rather take what they can get from the government and be "free to live their own lives" than have to report to a job every day. I grew up in that environment, and they aren't shy about it. But if you ask a democrat, these people either don't really exist or there are just one or two scattered throughout. Please. My sister is one of them, and while visiting with her and her pals EVERY single one of the group shared why they would rather be "free" than have to work. Every. One. of a group of more than 20. Hey, if they want to be "free" that is fine with me. But the government shouldn't be paying for it.
    I know people like this too. All of them vote Republican, if they're at all politically inclined (the rest stay home and don't bother).

I'm a Democrat and I by no means believe that these people "don't really exist or there are just one or two scattered throughout." Most Dems I know don't think that either, and the ones who do are quite frankly naive, sheltered, or just idealistically stupid.

There are always people out there who will try to bleed or game the system, not just those on welfare. It sucks, quite frankly. However, there are also plenty of people--as in, the large majority--who truly use any government assistance they get as a "leg up" to get through tough times. Or, they are forced to rely on it because they quite frankly don't have the social, intellectual or economic means to keep a roof over their head and food on the table without it (and meanwhile, they work hard as well). Most people don't view it as the gravy train to lazy town.

I'm all for ways to prevent people from abusing the system. But simply getting rid of it isn't the solution, because it serves a legitimate purpose that is ultimately beneficial to society as a whole--throwing the baby out with the bathwater never really works.
    Last edited by Natalie; Nov. 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: proofreading

I have personally known several people who have received assistance at various times in their lives: education assistance, childcare, food stamps, Section 8, etc. None of them stayed on it for more than a few years, and they all went to college after/during their time of help, worked during that time as well, and are now solidly middle class homeowners with full-time jobs and well-behaved kids, and now married to wonderful men.

Some of them had become pregnant as teenagers, the dads became deadbeats. They chose to keep the kids, and did not come from wealthy families who could help them. Without that help from the government, they would have remained in poverty, and their kids would have been in much worse situations. They certainly did a lot to help their own financial situations, and went through some very tough times, but without the government programs they had access to, they certainly wouldn't be in the financial shape they are in now paying taxes and contributing to the economy.

Got this in an email about not forgetting to go vote.
    Don't know if Cosby really said that, but here it is, take from it what you want.
    Just more added to the pot in this discussion:
    He did not write it and according to snopes, it is attributed to someone who was a political candidate, so that immediately make you wonder..

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/imtired.asp

I'm not letting you get by with this statement. Get this straight once and for all: there is no "hatred for anyone who has assets." There is no class war. Republicans keep trying to paint that picture and it simply will not work.

I'm not selfish. I'm happy when people do well. The difference is those of us who have done well are in a position to help those who aren't as fortunate as we have been. Republicans hate everybody. You don't have money? You must be lazy. I'm sure there are lazy people out there, but your viewpoint lumps everybody who isn't successful by your definition of success into the category of "of course they're lazy." That simply is not true.

I see the difference.

Thank you for misinterpreting my post. I never said anything negative about people who are working hard and trying to improve themselves but may not have a lot of money. Kudos to everyone who is trying to make a better situation for themselves and their families. I'm proud of everyone who falls into that category - that's what America is all about. And if they find themselves in need of help, many in this country would be glad to help them. My post was in regards to people who don't bother to do anything to better themselves or make poor decisions and then want to lay the blame on someone else for their lack of success. And of course there's class war... everything these days is about "the rich" vs "the poor", while the poor folks in the middle are left high and dry. We are bombarded on a daily basis... even by the liberal news media outlets who wouldn't constantly be bringing it up if it wasn't an issue to them.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    To be blunt - the taxpayers shouldn't be paying for it.

Thank you for misinterpreting my post.
    Impossible to misinterpret your own words: "No one wants to work for anything."

I never said anything negative about people who are working hard and trying to improve themselves but may not have a lot of money.
    You never said they even exist. YOUR words are: "this is what's wrong with our country. No one wants to work for anything." That's not true. If you didn't mean "no one," then don't write "no one," but don't blame me for calling you out on an anti-American sentiment that you forcibly expressed and then blame me that even though that's what you wrote, it's not what you meant.

Natalie and PaintedHunter, thank you for your posts. Yes, you say exactly how I feel and have both expressed it much better.

All I have to add is that it sure sucks being politically moderate this year! I tend to be more financially conservative, pro-gun rights, pro-choice, I'm okay with war but feel it must be vitally necessary (which I don't really believe some of these past events have been), pro-LGBT rights, and I do think we need to reform healthcare. So I am leaning SLIGHTLY more towards Obama, but really, it has been hard to make a decision. I think there are good ideas within each party but for whatever reason, they rarely seem to be implemented correctly.

Troy Marshall, closing paragraphs of his article on "My View from the Country".

I think those are some appropriate thoughts to add here:

---"
    -
    -
    -
    We need leadership and a willingness to find bipartisan solutions, but it's difficult to imagine that happening given today’s dynamics. I tend to be highly partisan and even a bit of an ideologue, but I do strive to stay focused on the policy and paradigm differences, which are real and dramatic. The tone of this election, however, has been rightly called the campaign of personal destruction.

I’m not even surprised by the tone of the campaign; the experts all predicted it would be like this. What I find particularly disappointing, however, is the tone of citizens; some are so shrill and irrational.

I admire both Romney and Obama for the people they are, for the commitment they've shown to this country, and for the depth of their convictions. I happen to agree with one of the candidate’s policies far more than the other. Two men could hardly be more different, so I urge you to vote, but vote on their vision and records, not the false narratives they have been surrounded with."---

Troy Marshall, closing paragraphs of his article on "My View from the Country".

We need leadership and a willingness to find bipartisan solutions, but it's difficult to imagine that happening given today’s dynamics.
    but notice the backlash when Christi DARED to work cooperatively with Obama.

Pretty sad.....

2 members found this post helpful.