The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for? (answers kept private)

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barack Obama

259 62.11%
  • Mitt Romney

130 31.18%
  • Other

28 6.71%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

I'm not American and I don't vote but apparently I side with Jill Stein according to this website: http://www.isidewith.com/ (link was on twitter) (:

I don't understand how politics get people in such an uproar, personally.

also want to share: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...56139602_n.jpg

Courtesy Beware of Images.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

It amazes me when people who say they are primarily concerned with the economy oppose affordable access to birth control - wow, really some dots not getting connected there-, use the word "slut" to refer to adult women in committed relationships (who make up the very vast majority of those who want birth control not to mention their male partners), and generally view free and compulsory education as a way to secure a tax base but fail to see access to preventative or expedient modern medicine in the same light.

I'm going to go kick myself for visiting this thread until I not only forget it, but induce enough TBI to get back to the place where I only knew everyone as horsey and fun And the next time I want to read comments questioning the patriotism of presidents past sitting or future or accusing them of treason I will remember every other comment thread ever besides COTH.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    If the most important thing in your life, the think you're most worried about is the ability to have an abortion, I truly truly feel sorry for you.

I think you failed to follow the bouncing ball. *wink*

Edited...just read you made the wrong reply.

I was worried for you for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    This was in response to someone "afraid" that Obama was going to take away their guns, so everyone had better start buying them now and prepare to buckle down. They weren't worried about ANYTHING else (similar to you) but were JUST scared they wouldn't be able to buy guns. Wow.

I responded they sounded like my jerk, greedy, senile, racist step-father wanting his gun back to prepare for the "riots" of black people if the election doesn't go right. Yes--people ACTUALLY think that way.
    NO, You need to stop jumping to conclusions based on one topic or one or two replies on a discussion forum about what someone finds most important. First of all, I'm worried about PLENTY of other issues in this election so your conclusions are very flawed. Protecting our right to bear arms is actually pretty far down the list for me right now but it's just one more nail in Obama's coffin. Unlike a couple of you, I don't have all day to sit on this forum and argue. I have my own business and have to work. I get a chance to post early and late usually and then I wonder why I bother when you can't hardly post anything without someone jumping to conclusions and firing off some sort of personal attack as you did.

My first priority is the economy which sucks by any measure, my second is the national debt and the strength of our currency which has been seriously damaged in the last 4 years, and my third is foreign policy which lately has allowed Al Queda to attack us (with plenty of warning) leading to the deaths of 4 Americans and the pitiful response from this administration. I believe our country is at greater risk now than it has been in a long time after having a weak apologetic leader like Obama who bows to foreign Arab kings, makes private deals with Putin and cannot be bothered to even visit Israel in 4 years in office.

Gun control is only one issue of many and pretty far down my list. Way down my list is this BS war on women nonsense. I won't go into it much here in this group but suffice it to say that getting an abortion is going to be the least of our worries if the above isn't dealt with quickly. I do believe we are facing a drop into full economic depression if the above isn't dealt with.

So now you know what I find most important and can quite comparing me to your Step-Father.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I reiterate. If that's what you're most worried about, I feel sorry for you.

Our country's got a lot more serious problems than that.

And the UN does have a bill in the works that would be a precurser to rescinding our arms. The un also has a bill proposed to tax the internet. And there are several other bills being proposed in the un that would infringe on America's self government. All in the push forward to Global governance.

And the internet is FULL of promises to riot from all over the country. So, yeah, people are a little nervous and want to protect themselves.

Lots of threats to assinate Romney if he's elected.

Yeah, those liberals sure are tolerant.

But you just keep your eyes on those threats to abortion rights.
    I am pretty gobsmacked by the fears that people let themselves indulge in. The UN is going to take away our arms? WTF? And you believe we're actually going to follow along? You don't have much faith in your fellow Americans, do you. *L* We don't even pay our dues to the UN, we ignore the World Court whenever we please - but you are truly, seriously afraid the UN is going to mess with our arms, nullifying our Constitution? If so, well bless your heart.

And riots. You really think that there are going to be riots just because Romney is elected? Really? Really???? Did you live through the riots of the 1960s? Cuz I did, and believe me, the general atmosphere of the country is way different these days. In my experience, riots are usually started by younger folks - and the younger folks I know are too mellow and unmotivated to riot. Now, if Romney turned out to be a fellow who really did tax the masses to oblivion and completely nullify taxes on the rich, then I can see riots. But you don't really think he's gonna do that, do you? I mean, he's obviously your man so you must have more faith in him than that.

Seriously, some people just liked to be whipped into a frenzy. I don't get it, and I'm closely related to some of 'em.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by HillnDale View Post

I'm going to go kick myself for visiting this thread until I not only forget it, but induce enough TBI to get back to the place where I only knew everyone as horsey and fun And the next time I want to read comments questioning the patriotism of presidents past sitting or future or accusing them of treason I will remember every other comment thread ever besides COTH.
    amen sister! (or brother!)

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    NO, You need to stop jumping to conclusions based on one topic or one or two replies on a discussion forum about what someone finds most important. First of all, I'm worried about PLENTY of other issues in this election so your conclusions are very flawed. Protecting our right to bear arms is actually pretty far down the list for me right now but it's just one more nail in Obama's coffin. Unlike a couple of you, I don't have all day to sit on this forum and argue. I have my own business and have to work. I get a chance to post early and late usually and then I wonder why I bother when you can't hardly post anything without someone jumping to conclusions and firing off some sort of personal attack as you did.

My first priority is the economy which sucks by any measure, my second is the national debt and the strength of our currency which has been seriously damaged in the last 4 years, and my third is foreign policy which lately has allowed Al Queda to attack us (with plenty of warning) leading to the deaths of 4 Americans and the pitiful response from this administration. I believe our country is at greater risk now than it has been in a long time after having a weak apologetic leader like Obama who bows to foreign Arab kings, makes private deals with Putin and cannot be bothered to even visit Israel in 4 years in office.

Gun control is only one issue of many and pretty far down my list. Way down my list is this BS war on women nonsense. I won't go into it much here in this group but suffice it to say that getting an abortion is going to be the least of our worries if the above isn't dealt with quickly. I do believe we are facing a drop into full economic depression if the above isn't dealt with.

So now you know what I find most important and can quite comparing me to your Step-Father.
    Right, but what you need to worry is that, if Obama is re-elected, he will require by law that TVs are no more than a certain size, vehicles also, because it is unacceptable that some have "big" ones, according to some of his more agitated supporters.

I don't know what anyone can do, but I know what we have seen everyone try and sorry, don't think it looks good, the way things are going.

We have seen several governments now in Europe give and give and hold hands, all that thru taxing everyone heavily and look where they are today.
    Afraid of riots here?
    There are already riots there regularly in several countries, unemployment several times what we have, so are food and energy prices and most everything else it takes to live, trying for a higher standard of living for all.

And some think that kind of system will work here any better than it is working there?
    There is an old phrase, "when you see your neighbor's beard being shaved, start soaping".

The USA was born by creating it's own path out of old ones.
    Then it kept reinventing itself and has repeated that a few times now.
    That is what we need to do today, not follow false prophets running on old ideas that are shown not to work as those pushing for them hoped.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    We have seen several governments now in Europe give and give and hold hands, all that thru taxing everyone heavily and look where they are today.
    Afraid of riots here?
    There are already riots there regularly in several countries, unemployment several times what we have, so are food and energy prices and most everything else it takes to live, trying for a higher standard of living for all.

And some think that kind of system will work here any better than it is working there?
    There is an old phrase, "when you see your neighbor's beard being shaved, start soaping".

Why do conservatives keep harping on Europe? We're the folks who left Europe, remember? We took a lot of the feistiest and most independent peoples of the world and forged a new country. A feisty and independent one. So why keep comparing us to them? (Though I guess we do need the far right conservatives to offset the far left liberals - keeps the country balanced. )

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by prairiewind2 View Post
    Why do conservatives keep harping on Europe? We're the folks who left Europe, remember? We took a lot of the feistiest and most independent peoples of the world and forged a new country. A feisty and independent one. So why keep comparing us to them? (Though I guess we do need the far right conservatives to offset the far left liberals - keeps the country balanced. )

Liz
    Comparing?
    I think I was saying about what you repeated there.

Comparing?
    I think I was saying about what you repeated there.
    Oh. Well then, neverrrrrr mind. LOL!

Liz

Bluey, where do you find this stuff? Smaller TVs? Smaller cars I'll grant you because we need to increase the average mpg for vehicles and the auto manufacters won't do it in this country unless they're forced to.

My brother, who could rival any one of you as an ultra right wing evangelical conservative, just bought a Prius, for example. We should be more concerned about how much energy we're using and continue to use less. I've read some statistics that showed if we had just followed Jimmy Carter's energy plan, we'd be energy independent today. Is that bad?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Bluey, I'm curious. Exactly what will Romney do (that Obama hasn't already done) to make things better for the American people. In a list, please.

I got a robo call from the NRA yesterday. Let me say that I don't own a gun, never have, will not own one. You would think with the huge computer databases that exist today, the NRA would know they were calling the wrong person. They wanted me to vote for Romney of course, because that would be the only way my right to own a gun would be protected. Hmmm.....
    I want to riot against the invasion of my space by unwanted political calls, charity calls, and businessess that want to clean the chimney and clean the rugs etc. So much for Do Not Call Lists.

Right, but what you need to worry is that, if Obama is re-elected, he will require by law that TVs are no more than a certain size, vehicles also, because it is unacceptable that some have "big" ones, according to some of his more agitated supporters.
    Man-- talk about unfounded fear-mongering. I've followed Obama for a long time and seen no such inclinations. You're being pretty irrational here, you know, asserting that Obama will ban things simply because "some of his more agitated supporters" find them "unacceptable."

Just imagine what a Romney presidency would be if he banned everything his "more agitated supporters" might like him to!!!

FYI, Obama's "more agitated supporters" (including myself) have constantly been agitated precisely because he's been too middle of the road, not left leaning enough, has compromised far too much with Republicans for our liking. Prime example is the healthcare bill, which they/we regard as a whole lot better than continuing the mess we have had, but no where near the single payer system we would really like to see.

At the time of its passage, I recall someone from the administration noting that Obama was being lambasted by both the extreme right and the extreme left, which probably meant that his action was about right (meaning correct) for the country. Despite my own leftist preferences, I think this statement probably hit the proverbial nail head, especially considering the huge percentage of our economy represented by insurance companies and their employees.
    Last edited by fish; Nov. 4, 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    I got a robo call from the NRA yesterday. Let me say that I don't own a gun, never have, will not own one. You would think with the huge computer databases that exist today, the NRA would know they were calling the wrong person. They wanted me to vote for Romney of course, because that would be the only way my right to own a gun would be protected. Hmmm.....
    I want to riot against the invasion of my space by unwanted political calls, charity calls, and businessess that want to clean the chimney and clean the rugs etc. So much for Do Not Call Lists.
    Even more annoying, every time I check my email, there is this ad for Obama with goofy requests, like wanting to pay me to go to Washington to help him celebrate his birthday.

I have not had any ads for Romney there and I can't say about calls, I don't answer those numbers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Man-- talk about unfounded fear-mongering. I've followed Obama for a long time and seen no such inclinations. You're being pretty irrational here, you know, asserting that Obama will ban things simply because "some of his more agitated supporters" find them "unacceptable."

Just imagine what a Romney presidency if he banned everything his "more agitated supporters" might like him to!!!

FYI, Obama's "more agitated supporters" (including myself) have constantly been agitated precisely because he's been too middle of the road, not left leaning enough, has compromised far too much with Republicans for our liking. Prime example is the healthcare bill, which they/we regard as a whole lot better than continuing the mess we have had, but no where near the single payer system we really wanted.

At the time of its passage, I recall someone from the administration saying that Obama was being lambasted by both the extreme right and the extreme left, which probably meant that his action was about right (meaning correct) for the country. Despite my own leftist preferences, I think this statement probably hit the proverbial nail head, especially considering the huge percentage of our economy represented by insurance companies and their employees.
    That was some of those more extreme Obama supporters several pages back, complaining about who was spend their money how, according to what political party they followed.

Don't forget the rather large government employee numbers and even more will be needed the more social programs we expand and new ones implement.
    Who will be paying for that and how?

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    Wanted you to know I just handed out my first Thumby. Up, of course!

Liz

Don't forget the rather large government employee numbers and even more will be needed the more social programs we expand and new ones implement.
    Who will be paying for that and how?
    Bluey, Bluey, Bluey. We have FEWER government employees under Obama than under Reagen, G. H.W. Bush, Clinton or G.W. Bush. Here's a chart

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2012/07/economic-policy

"But if you break down the numbers, you will see that federal employment has increased by just 16,000 under Mr Obama, hardly a socialist transformation (and not much of a Keynesian stimulus either). Over his two terms, George W. Bush added 37,000 federal jobs; Ronald Reagan added 197,000 federal jobs in his two. Bill Clinton lost 139,000! Federal employment is some 350,000 down from when Reagan left office."

So, I guess that makes Reagan a socialist.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Bluey, Bluey, Bluey. We have FEWER federal government employees under Obama than under Reagen, G. H.W. Bush, Clinton or G.W. Bush. Here's a chart

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2012/07/economic-policy

"But if you break down the numbers, you will see that federal employment has increased by just 16,000 under Mr Obama, hardly a socialist transformation (and not much of a Keynesian stimulus either). Over his two terms, George W. Bush added 37,000 federal jobs; Ronald Reagan added 197,000 federal jobs in his two. Bill Clinton lost 139,000! Federal employment is some 350,000 down from when Reagan left office."

So, I guess that makes Reagan a socialist.

How that compares apples to apples, when you also figure what the economy was doing, unemployment and everything, in context of more than mere numbers?

Wait for 4 more Obama years and lets count then.

Bluey, if government employment had either stayed static , the unemployment rate would be hovering at about 7%. If government employment had increased during the recession (under both Republican and Democratic presidents, as it has in most past recessions, the rate would be even lower.