The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WISAIR Saddles

Thought they seemed interesting, probably still out of my price range. Anyone tried one?

https://www.wise-equestrian.com/prod...category_id=25

Alas, you ask after the forum upgrade when the search function is broken! There have been a few good threads about the Wise-Air saddles, but alas, today is not the day to go looking for them.

Anyway, the short version: yes, there are some COTHers who own them and will hopefully chime in. I think the whole air-whole business is pretty goofy--it makes sense on a cavalry saddle but I find it very hard to believe that it substantially matters on XC or stadium, especially if the saddle is laid over any other kind of padding. I suppose I can imagine some kind of padding that ventilates air well itself, then has this saddle on top of it, which could theoretically provide some circulation to the back.

Beyond the holey gimmick business, they seem to be serviceable little saddles. Lots of design influence here from Devoucoux, which is not surprising given the brand's provenance. They're made in Argentina but are of decent quality for the money, on par perhaps with the Pessoa Legacy line. I'd buy one if it fit my horse and I were looking for a foam-panelled saddle in the mid price ranges. They're competitive with Equipe brand in that regard.

I very much enjoy my jump saddle from them. Didn't buy it for the air holes (in the panels or the seat) but for the balance! Puts me in just the perfect spot.

Can't speak much to durability as I've only had it 6 months (and many of those months my horse or myself has been unsound) but nothing but good things to say about it!
    Forward momentum!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have the Wise Equestrian dressage and my BO owns the Wise Air jumping saddle. We love them! I have considered selling my Richard Castelow jumping saddle to get the Wise Air jumping saddle, with the extra forward flap. (Please do not let my DH hear me even think this! )
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

After a long search for a saddle I settled on one and I love it! I live in South Texas where it is SUPER hot in the summer. I am not sure that it kept my horse that much cooler in 100+ degree weather, but it sure didn't hurt. The saddle fits my horse wonderfully and the saddle fit me perfectly with no break in time.
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

I purchased their xc jump saddle for my daughter after Rolex and she LOVES it. We special ordered ours with wool flocked panels and the calf skin leather. We just had it adjusted by our saddle fitter who jokingly called it her port-a-potty because of its appearance but had no issues with adjusting it to fit our high withered OTTB. My daughter who is very long legged says it puts her in a great position so we couldn't be happier. The weight of it makes me happy when I have to fetch it from the trailer

I love mine. Rode in it the first time schooling a green horse xc and immediately bought it. Perfect balance for me and fits my OTTB well enough that Annette Galvin from Hastilow recommended no change except a shim to compensate for the fact that he has a deeper dip behind his right wither versus his left,

I go xc with the ecogold pad with the matching cut out and do notice that his back is cooler than under side panels, etc. the cut outs also bestow the advantage of the saddle being really light so easier to carry and lift up onto the horse.

If you call, they do have some used ones at reasonable prices.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Auburn ... I will bring you the 17.5 with the extra forward flap on Saturday

Hi Kate,

Do you carry an 18.5? Because of the length of my thigh (Mary's, too), they put both of us 18.5's. When she puts her stirrups up to jumping length, her knee fits the length perfectly.

I have the wide tree on Tess. Cat is currently in the narrow tree. Mary has told me that I can switch out the trees to try her saddle. However, I switched them out on mine to get the wide tree in and it was a bit of an athletic event. Of course, it could have something to do with the fact that it was 102 degrees outside at the time.

I am interested to know if anyone has thought about purchasing it due to having pilonidal cysts or spine issues. I sort of look at it like the the saddle that has the raised panels made by Stubben. I know its bio something but the word is escaping my brain right now.

The jump saddle is incredibly comfortable. Really puts my leg in a great spot and feels unbelievably secure (this coming from a dressage rider!).

I rode in the dressage saddle yesterday! I liked it, although the thigh block is very large! It does put you in a lovely position...but someone who doesn't like blocks would be uncomfortable. The twist is narrow/medium which I loved!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Auburn - alas, I only have the one demo. It's the one big down-side of working with Wise-Air : they just don't send out demos. it makes the saddles really difficult to sell, especially since, you know my policy is that you don't buy a saddle til you've really ridden in it - even if that means keeping it a week, or two !

I think we'd have trouble with an 18.5 on your horse's back length tbh.
    The seat sizes do run small, my 17 fits me like a 16.5 and is really hard for a normal grown-up sized person to ride in. (This only makes sense if you've met all 5ft 0 of me !). The 17.5 FF is a good fit for the girl who tried it yesterday, and she's taller, and 'bigger' than you.

I have a XC saddle and love it, mostly becauseit fits my horse well. I've found it to be as secure as a XC saddle can be. My only minor complaint is that I have to periodically check the screws on the gullet piece and re-tighten them, mine tend to work loose.

I schooled xc in Kate's and i LOVED it! Someday.....

I love mine, and several of my students have bought them too. Durability seems good. They do slip forward on some horses - my guess is that they are fairly flat longwise, and for horses with curvey backs this can push them forward. The changeable gullets are a nice option.

Like Riderboy said, the screws can loosen - just keep an eye on it. Not a big deal.

hey! i know i'm a little late on this one but do you guys thing the forward flap (not the extra or the regular but the plain forward) is forward enough for a 5'8 rider? i'm not all legs either..... i think my inseam is 32 or 34. thinking about ordering one tomorrow.

Phillip Dutton rides in the plain forward. I would guess it would work for you
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I think that it would depend on the length of your thigh. My friend is 5'8", with a long thigh bone. She needed the extra forward flap to accomedate the length of her thigh.

I would measure your thigh, then call the folks at Wise Equestrian to ask which would be better, or have one of their saddle fitters come out and measure you.

I am 5'6", with a long thigh bone and I fit in affore mentioned friends' saddle just fine. Any less forward of a flap and my knee would be over the front of the saddle.

I do not believe that PD has a long thigh bone, does he?

Is there a Texas rep and are used models available? I'd be very interested in trying one with a forward flap. I'm short 5'2" but like a very forward flap. Thanks!