The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question Just How Difficult Is It To Move To Canada?

I truly can NOT deal with these screaming, hallucinating morons in this country who seem real content to love that their American Taliban are happily spewing lies - who even say they don't care about truth or real facts.

Personally, I am tired of these haters trying to control women, and drag everyone back to the Dark Ages.

No, I will NOT drink the Koolaid.

I want to live in a reasonable, progressive country that is comfortable living in this millennium, not one that has succumbed to the ravings of televangelism.

Amen. My husband and I have been discussing moving to Canada for awhile now. I'm afraid of how extreme our country is becoming, and how we HATE anyone that doesn't look/act/believe/think like we do. That includes conservatives and liberals. Apparently we can no longer speak reasonably to each other, comprimise, or agree to disagree.

I got called, and I quote, "a f@#king liberal bitch who clearly is too stupid to know how I should be thinking". And all because I support Obama, and I'm not christian. Actually, the not christian part made the person inform me I was going to hell. I blinked at her, and just said that she was welcome to believe what she wanted and that I would appreciate it if she would extend me the same courtesy.

3 members found this post helpful.

I wouls just love to see the people who do "we're moving to Canada" when they don't like the current politics to actually up and do it. For once, stop talking and do it because then you would have actually done something instead of just B****ing.
    People often confuse ideology with knowledge and thoughtful reasoning.

1 members found this post helpful.

Canada has a Conservative government now.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    I wouls just love to see the people who do "we're moving to Canada" when they don't like the current politics to actually up and do it. For once, stop talking and do it because then you would have actually done something instead of just B****ing.
    Out of curiosity, what exactly do you expect these people to do? They can vote. What else can they do to even try to impact that powers that be of national politics? I suppose you could suggest they start getting into local politics, but not many people have the time or finances to do that. So what if you do your due diligence, stay informed, vote, etc... and you still dislike where the country is going?

Default Not sure about Canada but...

All I know is my acceptance to Murdoch University School of Veterinary Medicine in Australia is starting to look mighty tempting... how this election goes will play an important role in my decision making process!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Canada has a Conservative government now.
    We do.
    And I personally find it extremely aggravating that we do, in this day and age.

News broke recently that Justin Trudeau is looking to up his involvement, so my fingers are crossed that he'll be our PM within a few elections (next election would be ideal!).

Well, I'm a conservative who gets sick and tired of people calling my neon lime green 40 mpg Fiesta named Ike a "total liberal car" and if either Romney or Obama get elected I am totally moving to Costa Rica in 25 years to retire.

I bet they need old accountants in Costa Rica anyway so I could even do part time.

TAKE THAT!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

As a British Canadian, the former by birth, the latter by choice, I am so glad that we chose to move here. My first and long held preference would of been the USA, but we didn't meet any of the criteria, seems that being white, middle class, law abiding citizens aren't what the US needs, but now I am glad that we chose Canada.

I feel that I have a lot of the freedoms that the US thinks it has, or maybe actually has, but no one feels the need to shout about it. One small example, in the UK I never owned a gun, not the done thing, and harder than all heck to get one. Now I have a small arsenal, I had to pass a safety test, apply for a permit, wait for the month cooling off period, cross fingers that the people I gave as referees would say that I was of sound mind, and yes the RCMP do phone and check, but now I have my gun licence, I can shop to me hearts content. Every farm house around here has a gun, or 3 or 6, but no one sees the need to brag about it, very few road signs sport shots through them, we just quietly, and it seems reasonably safely go about our gun toting business.

Don't get me wrong, most Americans that I have met, and I have visited every one of the mainland states have been great people, but you do have some problems, and being outside looking in it makes me sad.

I'm sure that I will now receive an avalanche of ridicule as I have done on other boards, and I may or may not choose to answer, all I'm saying is the view from out here looking in may just be different from what some of you see from the inside looking out.

Arrows and Nasalberry, come on up, we still have wide open spaces, great people, and election process which doesn't go on for 3 1/2 years, and a reasonable standard of living. Oh and we have a great healthcare system as well, is it perfect, NO, nothing is perfect, but Canada is not the pale imitation, second choice that I feared, it is a great country, that is content to know that, not Canadian to shout about it eh?
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Just remember, the grass is really not any greener on the other side of the fence.
    There is no perfect place anywhere, except as some figment of someone's imagination.
    Definitely not for those that like to get annoyed and find fault with everything, because they will keep doing that same no matter where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    News broke recently that Justin Trudeau is looking to up his involvement, so my fingers are crossed that he'll be our PM within a few elections (next election would be ideal!).

Please yes

Love your perspective KBC And would be interested in heating more if you like?
    The Knotted Pony

well i'd like to move to the maritimes but have had a hard time getting information from the canadien government about it.
    so far i've been told that i'd only be allowed to buy a home and live there most of the year, but not all.
    if dh weren't chronically ill i think i'd try harder to make it happen, but for now it feels like a wish which i can't make come true.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    We do.
    And I personally find it extremely aggravating that we do, in this day and age.

Just what we need, a return to the Trudeau era........

I think that if that happens again, you can wave bye-bye to the West as we leave. The movement is still strong and growing.

The worst of Trudeau Jr is he only has the name; he possesses neither the intellect, the wit, nor the charm of PET. Despite our dislike of PET, he was intelligent although we mostly said fuddleduddle to his stupid projects
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Love your perspective KBC And would be interested in heating more if you like?

Oh yes, that is a downside of where we chose to settle more heating needed

I'll talk more if you want, I can't and wont enter into in depth political debates, not my style, but I will tell it as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Just what we need, a return to the Trudeau era........
    I'll take Trudeau over Harper.

But we all have different opinions about this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post

The worst of Trudeau Jr is he only has the name; he possesses neither the intellect, the wit, nor the charm of PET. Despite our dislike of PET, he was intelligent although we mostly said fuddleduddle to his stupid projects
    BUT he is pretty, isn't that why we vote for people?? Oh sorry I forgot up here it is substance, damn.

Seriously it is one of the issues that isn't quite right here, the vote is usually all but over by the time us folk out in the boon docks get our say, the Prairie Provinces are important to the nation in the resources we have and provide, unfortunately we do not have the population numbers to swing a popular vote, so the East usually decides our fate.

Yes, heating is a major concern LOLOLOL!!!

But, I'm running off to Costa Rica and hopefully before that Houston or Tallahassee/Jacksonville or anywhere in the South.

But I do enjoy others perspectives. I chose my primary care Physician because he is from China. He has worked very hard to bring his family to the US and spent most of his life under communist regime. I like to listen to his opinions.

Sometimes I get involved in political debate threads but I am already made up in most of my opinions and in all honesty, most who spout off have not researched or educated themselves past the "party line" talking heads so *yawn*. But, i still enjoy hearing even differing political/sociological/cultural, etc., views and perspectives.
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    well i'd like to move to the maritimes but have had a hard time getting information from the canadien government about it.
    so far i've been told that i'd only be allowed to buy a home and live there most of the year, but not all.
    if dh weren't chronically ill i think i'd try harder to make it happen, but for now it feels like a wish which i can't make come true.
    That's too bad. I admittedly know nothing about how one would attempt to immigrate here from the US, but I hope you can fulfill your wish one day.

- Friendly Maritimer

I love that we have THREE political parties to choose from when we go to the voting polls.

I think if the States had a legitimate 3rd choice party, perhaps we wouldn't see so much anger and hatred between the 2 parties come election time..
    All I read now is nastiness, there doesn't seem to be too much thought by either Romney/Obama being put into presenting positive policies in an attempt to gain votes, instead they both appear to be slamming each other trying to negate votes.

And I'm not all that worried about our Conservative government - Harper's only in because we've had such dunces running in the liberal party for the last 8 years.

Between the NDP's and the Liberals, if Harper tries to do something out there (i.e. start talking social issues like Romney), we'd come together and smack him down. We know he's thinking it, but Harper is smart enough not to put it out to us.

Can't wait for young Justin to make his mark - but I don't think he'll be ready this coming election.