The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

4Martini-the skinny hangers were great, and the stupid plastic ones broke constantly. Plus the clothes don't slide off of the velvety ones the way the plastic hangers did. I didn't like the Walmart ones-they looked cheaper, but they have 10 of the regular hangers, 10 shirt ones (the ones without the bottom brace, I hate those, because they aren't as strong), and then 10 pieces that count as hangers, but are actually pieces, so the price wasn't better. I wonder if there will be a sale at Bed Bath etc over the holiday-and the hangers are the same price for the regular ones with the bottom piece (I prefer this), the shirt ones (I don't think they're as strong), and they also come in colors, and it's about 20-30 dollars for 50 in a box. The ones I bought were by Real Simple, but might have another brand name sometimes too. I actually scored my first box at clearance, because they were mislabeled as having the hooks on the main piece to hang one hanger from another, and they didn't actually have it. I think they were 10 dollars or so. They also come in blue, beige, and black and I've stuck with all black. My closet looks to organized, and since I took everything out and only put back the keepers, then I have lots of room now. It's so neat it looks like someone else did it.
    I think the easy thing is to take everything out, and while doing this remove all of the stuff you don't want, need, or like, or what doesn't fit. Put that in bags to donate, toss in the car to drop off next time you go by the thrift store, and then only put back what you really use.

Someone said that we wear 20% of our wardrobe 80% of the time, and I think that's pretty accurate.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

The dollar store nearest to me has those velvety hangers in 5 packs for $1. Those are great for things that slide off of hangers. But they're annoying for those of us who reach into the closet, grab the sleeve of what we want to wear and yank. When it's on a velvety hanger...the damned shirt stays there!

One of these days I'm attacking the master bedroom/bath for a redo and then the closet gets organized. Not a walk in and mr Blue has more clothes than Paris Hilton. I have about 1/10 of the closet, 1/2 of my dresser, none of his highboy and one nightstand. He has the rest...although a lot of that is clothes he won't throw away and can;t wear anymore.

But I'm dying to redo the master and have it organized to the Nth degree. Problem is we have too much large furniture in a smallish bedroom. But the furniture was a bit steep in cost and it'll be hard convincing Mr Blue that the rather large 4 poster, full dresser, wardrobe, valet and both nightstands will find a new home. I want to do a built in bench/windowseat with drawers underneath and a wardrobe on each end with the bed on the opposite wall. Raised platform with storage underneath too. Then voila! Walk around room! And somewhere for MY clothes. 20 pairs of britches and all my LLBean and Carhartts need some room, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

The best deal on those hangers was at Macy's. I had a coupon and they were super cheap and great quality. I LOVE it that my clothes don't slide off, and it doesn't leave stretch marks on the shoulders of my shirts that I don't wear often.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

I really want to clean out my spare bedroom. If I had the money I would give it all away but I really need the money so I put it all on Ebay. Mainly clothes and horse stuff. BOOKS! Horse books! PLUS I have the boxes to ship it with so I have a ton of stuff! I want it to go away by Christmas!

It just irritates me that I have things listed for less than half of what it cost and people still want it to be cheaper.

If I win the lottery, it will be gone!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

My brother just passed away. He left behind a small house (no problem there) and 2 welding shops with 30+ years of accumulated "stuff". Included are 2 vintage 1950's Ford trucks, two cars worth scrap value, 6 motorcycles (1970's, and I don't think they're worth anything), a large pickup load of 1980's remote control cars, hot rod and motorcycle magzines from the mid-1970s to present, bicycles, various home-made electric bicycles, a 1930-40s large wooden radio, tools and all sorts of welding equipment. Luckily, someone is taking most of the steel out of the shop so I don't have to deal with that. Then there are all the massice steel tables, racks, etc. Some of this stuff has some value to the right person, so I would feel guilty just recycling or throwing it away, but I have no real idea of what to do with it all.

Do your heirs a favor and get rid of all the incidental crap you own. Once we finish with my brother's stuff, we'll start working on our own so my daughter doesn't get stuck with ours if we kick the bucket.

Kestrel maybe a welding training program would want it? I bet that or a high school industrial arts program would love the tables and such.

From a coworker's husband dying suddenly at a fairly young age-you might have problems even scrapping the cars. If you don't have titles to them, call the DMV or whoever does car registrations in your state and ask them about getting titles for the vehicles or changing the titles. There could be a market for them from collectors or restorers, and the local high school auto shop people might know a place to advertise them. Or local antique car clubs might be a good resource.

Candle-I'll keep that in mind if I buy any more for gifts. My closet looks to good, everything fits, and nothing slides off. But I really do like the ones with the closed bar on the bottom, because the shirt ones are just too weak. And I did learn rather quickly not to try to pull things off the hanger, or the hanger and handle separate.

Horsefaerie-whatever doesn't sell might sell at a flea market, if there are any cheaper ones indoors where you are. And the military base I live near has massive yard sales with indoor tables to rent very cheaply, and they do one spring, and one in the early fall. And if you can do garage sales where you are, then many times people show up very early and buy everything on the cheap--but it would all be gone. They buy entire yard sale inventories, and then resell at the flea market, or at those houses that always have a yard sale. And some of the non-charity thrift stores (yes, they exist) will buy bulk items too, and it's not a lot of money, but it would clean everything out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    This really streamlines getting ready or hunting for something. I also got rid of at least 20 tops that I'm never going to fit into again, or really liked, so someone got lucky at the charity store. I intend to keep going through the closet until I have only what fits, what I like, and what I'll actually wear. The easiest way to get rid of clothes is to unload the entire closet, and only put back what you really want to keep. And I did find that putting tops back by color really helps organize the closet, and makes finding something to wear a snap. The skinnier hangers all look so nice and uniform, and save space-I love them, and am sending some friends that for Christmas this year. I think the answer is to be ruthless, and every season change, or when the closet starts getting full to get rid of something else. Maybe get one new item, but you have to get rid of one so the closet doesn't grow is the answer.
    I am the same way! I don't have a dresser or anything more than a few old shelves in our closet so I bought some nice(r) hangers at TJ Maxx and have hung up all of my in-season clothes. I have roughly 20 pieces that I wear regularly. I LOVE being able to see everything and it stays nicer being hung up!

I actually never had a dresser when I lived on my own. In NM I had a mini walkin closet with wire organizers, and I kept the off season tops in the other room's closet. In Colorado I had walkins, and I've always kepts the underwear, socks and small things in the little plastic carts with wheels and open shelves. And where I am I started with three movable racks upstairs in the bonus room, and weeded until everything fits in my walkin closet, plus the jackets are in the other closet, so I don't squish them. I have pared down and given away enough so I everything fits in the closet, and there's room to spare. I could probably get rid of more, but I can live with what I have now.