The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy UGH - dropped my Nokia Lumia 900 in the toilet....is it worth fixing?

I am so bummed out!! I just got it - off eBay - a few weeks ago. It turns on just fine, and the side buttons work fine, but the touch screen will not register touches. It was on the 31st when it took it's very brief swim. I did not do the rice thing, but I did use the hair dryer on it pretty much every day. Is there hope for it to start working again? I think I might cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    I am so bummed out!! I just got it - off eBay - a few weeks ago. It turns on just fine, and the side buttons work fine, but the touch screen will not register touches. It was on the 31st when it took it's very brief swim. I did not do the rice thing, but I did use the hair dryer on it pretty much every day. Is there hope for it to start working again? I think I might cry.
    It depends... Was it a clean or dirty toilet? That would play a part in my decision to wait it out.

May I recommend to you the Casio Commando as your future phone? It's water resistant. It can take a dunk and continue to work without any ill effect.

It was a clean toilet, lol. I like Windows phones, and I use StraightTalk, - which means I need a GSM phone - so that limits my selection.

Take everything apart and submerge it in rice. The rice will soak out all the water and it will be good as new! I've done it many times
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

Try the bag of rice...

I'll try the bag of rice, but have you seen a Nokia Lumia 900? It doesn't come apart....

I dropped my Canon in a waterfall, and they replaced it. I was surprised, but maybe Nokia will do the same?

The bag of rice trick works, the problem is that you've waited too long. When a phone hits water you need to remove the battery immediately and do not have it on at all. If it's on then you risk frying everything. You can try the rice but at this point it's most likely permanently damaged. If you had insurance then they will replace it, you can try the manu but they usually don't cover used phones however it is worth a try. Good luck!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

DH shattered his motorola droid razr less than 30 days after purchase. While Verizon wouldn't touch it b/c we hadn't bought insurance, Motorola stood by their product and fixed it for free!! (I had expected to pay the $125 that they listed for a new screen, but they never charged me b/c it was so new.) When in doubt, contact the manufacturer! You never know-- the worst they can say is no!

Quote Originally Posted by JLMet View Post
    The bag of rice trick works, the problem is that you've waited too long. When a phone hits water you need to remove the battery immediately and do not have it on at all. If it's on then you risk frying everything. You can try the rice but at this point it's most likely permanently damaged. If you had insurance then they will replace it, you can try the manu but they usually don't cover used phones however it is worth a try. Good luck!
    Ayup. If it's not working now, it's not going to.

Yet another good reason why it may be a good idea to rethink why you need to take your phone into the toilet with you. Is there any call that important that it can't wait for you to, uh, finish your "personal business" first?