The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For $50,000 would would you expect?

In an amateur horse, age, temperament, show experience, fence height?

I can't tell you generally, but I can tell you what I got (or leased, but her sale price was similar to $50k.)

I got a 13 year old, 17.1h WB mare who could pack a blind monkey around the 3'6'' jumpers and win. Super rideable, easy, bombproof. Could also play in the 3'6'' eq or the 3ft hunters and do well in reasonable company.

Are you thinking for hunters or jumpers? Thats going to change things as you can find an easy, made, winning 3'6'' jumper for $50k but maybe not an easy, made, winning 3'6'' hunter.

Depends on the area and a million other variable.

For $50k you could get a very nice 3' horse or a little bit tough 3'6" horse. A fancy youngster (paying for potential) or a more solid older statesman. People are willing to put up with a worse temperament for a fancier horse, so that's a trade off, too.

This would be an easier question with some more details. It's pretty broad as it is.

I'm honestly not sure, but this is what I got for around that price. A chestnut tb that is a 8 mover with me 9 with my trainer, 7 jumper with me, 9 with my trainer 9 years old and carded at 15.3. Had experience winning the 2'6"-3'3" amateurs at WEF and other Wellington shows, and winning 2'6" at Brownland. Scope to do junior hunters, but not the easiest ride. Can really only do the hunters, trot is horrible to sit, and your eq doesn't look good on him because he absolutely has a back cracking jump. He's a little pushy on the ground and pretty much has zero manners, but we're working on it. He's got the potential to be a very very very competitive children's and amateur (3'3") hunter, and place middle in good junior hunter company.

Default I'd expect to have more than one horse!

I guess it depends on what you want. But honestly, if you have 50K to spend, you probably need to find a really honest, well known trainer to help you spend it.

That said, the horse has no idea: a: who his daddy is, or b: how much you paid for him.

And a crummy rider can turn a 50K horse into a 10K horse pretty quick. Conversely, a really good rider can turn a 20K horse into a 35K horse or even more.

And one bad step can turn him into a post on the FTGH forum.

Default Agree with above posters

I agree that it depends on the discipline and your location. I live in Zone 3 and this is what I would say the market looks like (not saying I agree or disagree with it.)...

You can get a safe, relatively young (8-12) winning, proven Child/Adult jumper for $25,000 or so (not saying you can't get them for less or more!). I would say $50,000 would get you a low Jr/AO jumper. At $50,000 a Jr/AO jumper may be a either a bit younger and greener, or older and only have a season or two yet. Unless shopping for Child/Adult or lower, I would say jumper prices depend much less on how easy the horses are to ride and weigh much heavier on the athleticism of the horse.

I think the hunters it's a bit more complicated in pricing. I would say $50,000 could get you the following type of horses...
    1. Winning Child/Adult hunter but can't do 3'6. Age is probably around 8-13. Complete packer.
    2. Slightly less show mileage, but jr/amateur safe 3' horse with potential to move up to 3'6. Age 6-8.
    3. 3'6 horse that is a difficult ride for a jr/amateur. Probably older in age because the difficult ride is not attributed to being green.
    4. 3'6 horse that doesn't move well, consistently ribbons in the over fences but not your hands down winner. This type of horse is probably younger (8-11) and a very good soul.

For an equitation horse (as in a horse specifically marketed as an eq horse. Not talking about a hunter or jumper that can cross over) $50,000 will most likely buy you a horse that is under 9 years old, has not been to indoors, isn't as "slick" yet (not all the buttons, might not be as adjustable or cover up rider mistakes), and a more challenging ride. Also probably doesn't have the BNT name associated
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

1 members found this post helpful.

We sold my daughter's children's hunter for 50k exactly. Wasn't the hack winner, but won over fences if you put in a good trip. He was the horse she moved up from a pony to, because he was a PACKER. He was 10.

If you don't require winning mileage at rated shows, there's practically no limit to what you can get for $50k. You can get a nice, green import with a fancy pedigree and loads of potential. Or a schoolmaster type needing to step down. A nice horse that's winning at B shows. A fancy made horse with a trick. So many possibilities...!!!
    I went to Europe just because I got tired of traveling to see just one horse. My budget was about $50k for purchase + import. Admittedly I'm not considering the cost of the trip.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

10 nice CANTER horses and $35,000 worth of training?
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

5 members found this post helpful.

I would want a horse that is jumping confidently 4 foot. Well that's what you could easily get in Australia.

A horse that compliments me on my outfits & cleans its own stall.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    A horse that compliments me on my outfits & cleans its own stall.
    Haha- exactly! Bonus if it can bake cookies.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

The answer really is a broad range of horses with varying degrees of age, talent, temperament, and experience. Woodhillsmanhattan gave a really good summary.