The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Equine dentist VA

Has anyone used an equine dentist in VA named Loren Wiseman? What did you think? I saw an ad she had and my two girls, as well as several others at my barn are needing some attention.

I just sent an email off to her yesterday. She replied very quickly. But...I'm still at a loss as to what I think. All of my questions weren't answered (though of course a phone call would be a better method of addressing those questions obviously). I'd love to know some more about her if possible before getting into an in depth phone conversation.

Edit: Just checked my email again, and I got two very prompt emails from her so far. At least so far prompt communication doesn't seem to be an issue.

If you use her or talk to anyone he has, please let me know. I am interested in talking to her, but feel I need some good references, first.

I'm afraid I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and call. I despise talking on the phone Oh well, maybe if I make out a list of questions first, it'll go better.

What I did like is that booking a single horse wasn't a problem. Just says she tries to schedule others in the area at the same time. I only have one horse, and even though I'm boarding, I've had the entire place to myself for some time now. So no barn buddies to schedule with.

If you call her, ask if you can haul in to somewhere where there are other horses to be done and that might be less expensive.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    If you call her, ask if you can haul in to somewhere where there are other horses to be done and that might be less expensive.
    She actually said it was the same price regardless and no trip charge. Which was very suprising to me considering that VA is a relatively large state, and she advertises to service the entire state.

I would call Quality Equine Dental. They mostly have clients in Northern VA, but Debbie Stroup has been servicing MANY horse people in the area for a really long time.

She may know of someone down near you to recommend! I am happy to PM you her information if you would like.

dixiefox Guest

Default Highly recommend Loren Wiseman!

Loren and HIS two assistants left my place an hour earlier. I had 9 horses here that needed teeth floats and I very highly recommend his work. I have used others in the past but found their work poor and their prices high. I found Loren's ad on craigslist, emailed him and he promptly returned my email and then gave me a call. His prices are beyond reasonable and his knowledge is far beyond most equine dentists. He is licensed and has common sense to boot! His trailer is set up so that the horses are comfortable and he can work safely and efficiently. I had two young horses that needed wolf teeth extractions and everything went smoothly. All 9 horses resumed eating in the pasture when finished as if nothing had happened! A truly positive experience for all, I will be using them again and recommending them to everyone else as well. Please remember not to judge a book by it's cover, his cowboy appearance is deceiving

Dixiefox, I saw the ad, too, and that is why I was asking. Thanks so much for the great info. I will talk to my trainer (she has some of the horses that need to be done) and contact him.

Oh, oops! I've known guys and girls with the name Loren before!

Well, I'm almost positive that I will at least try him out and see how it goes. I'm going to try and see if I can get this visit coordinated with a vet visit to do some vaccines and coggins draw while she's zonked out.

Default Bumping this up

Anyone in the Charles Town/Harpers Ferry, WV have any dentist recommendations?

I know this is a VA dentist thread...but I figured it was worth a shot....

What does Loren Wiseman charge for a float?

Quote Originally Posted by chancy deal View Post
    What does Loren Wiseman charge for a float?
    Remember, you often get what you pay for! Just make sure you use someone that sedates and uses a speculum!

Sar2008 - I am in VA not far from the WV line, and have used both Dr. Johnson at Piedmont, and most recently Graham Alcock (Round Hill area). Both are excellent. They may go to WV? Worth a call. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Remember, you often get what you pay for! Just make sure you use someone that sedates and uses a speculum!
    In Virginia, a person who performs dental services on equines must meet state regulations and be registered. And, under VA law, they cannot give sedation or tranquilize a horse.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/54.1-3813.HTM

Quote Originally Posted by tpup View Post
    Sar2008 - I am in VA not far from the WV line, and have used both Dr. Johnson at Piedmont, and most recently Graham Alcock (Round Hill area). Both are excellent. They may go to WV? Worth a call. Good luck.
    Thanks tpup. I will give Graham a call. I totally forgot about him! I have been using QEDC and Debbie Stroup for years. She is GREAT and I absolutely love her, but I don't think she will come out to WV....
    Last edited by sar2008; Feb. 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

Default Loren Wiseman

I used Loren back in March, he has a wonderful trailer that is set up with a belly strap to do the horses in. He uses a speculum and he is allowed to sedate the horses. He was very patient with my stubborn mare not wanting to go into the trailer. Loren and his assistant are very knowledgeable in Equine Denistry. They did a fantastic job on my 4 horses and the price was great. $75 per horse because I have 4, 1 horse is $85. No trip charge and they show you the problems with the horses teeth and what they are going to do before they do it. I will use Loren Wiseman again, best and most informative dental visit I have had with my horses in 9 years of owning them. I would recommend them to anyone in Virginia.

What sort of belly strap? A sling? Why would he need a sling?

Is Loren Wiseman a veterinarian licensed in the state of VA? It doesn't look like it from his Craiglist ad., it looks like he is an EqDT and therefore licensed only for floating, not sedation.

If a person, dentist or otherwise, is not a veterinarian, it is NOT legal for him to prescribe/administer sedation, period. Unless it is your horse or you are the regular caretaker of the horse, administering or prescribing a drug is considered the practice of veterinary medicine, I think in all states but definitely in VA.

In the case of legend/prescription drugs, which includes all of the injectable sedation drugs used in horses, it is also against federal law to prescribe/administer the drug outside the bounds of a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship, which requires that the veterinarian be familiar with the animal's current condition and be available to deal with complications. That hardly applies to a vet who gives a dentist a bottle of sedation to give to a horse across the state that the vet has never even heard of; in the case of a sedating dentist, both the vet supplying the drug and the dentist administering it would in the wrong. Here is a description of a VCPR.

Here is a copy of the VA practice act.

Any person shall be deemed to be practicing veterinary medicine who performs the diagnosis, treatment, correction, change, relief or prevention of animal disease, deformity, defect, injury, or other physical or mental conditions; including the performance of surgery or dentistry, the prescription or administration of any drug, medicine, biologic, apparatus, application, anesthetic, or other therapeutic or diagnostic substance or technique, and the use of any manual or mechanical procedure for embryo transfer, for testing for pregnancy, or for correcting sterility or infertility, or to render advice or recommendation with regard to any of the above.

. . .

This chapter shall not apply to:

1. The owner of an animal and the owner's full-time, regular employee caring for and treating the animal belonging to such owner, except where the ownership of the animal was transferred for the purpose of circumventing the requirements of this chapter;