The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse waterer recommendation

My heated horse waterer in the pasture is leaking so it's time for a new one.
    I'm looking for something as indestructible as possible because my horses like to give themselves pedicures in the trough
    Recommendations? Nelson?
    Ritchie?
    I have the Bar Bar whatever non heated waterers in other pastures. Not a fan at all. They clog up routinely and shoot out like geysers on occasion
    Thanks
    JJ

Nelson, hands down. Best waterer out there. Been using them for decades with no problems.

My b/o has 7 heated Nelsons installed in all of the turnouts for about 5 years. They need only occasional repair. They also seem to put up with quite a bit of abuse from the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by jody jaffe View Post
    My heated horse waterer in the pasture is leaking so it's time for a new one.
    I'm looking for something as indestructible as possible because my horses like to give themselves pedicures in the trough
    Recommendations? Nelson?
    Ritchie?
    I have the Bar Bar whatever non heated waterers in other pastures. Not a fan at all. They clog up routinely and shoot out like geysers on occasion
    Thanks
    JJ
    If your horses stomp on the waterers, maybe move to a concrete model?
    The farm stores here carry 2 cattle- concrete waterers, looks indestructable.

I have more normal horses, so we just bought 6 Ritchie Omnifounts. They are rounded poly exterior/ insulated and steel trough/ heated bowls.

Default Cobett

Hi Jody,

If you're looking for something that is super tough, doesn't take electricity and can do very well in cold environments, take a look at our Cobett waterers. Feel free to give us a call any time at 888-699-4722. http://www.cobett.com

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by walktrot View Post
    My b/o has 7 heated Nelsons installed in all of the turnouts for about 5 years. They need only occasional repair. They also seem to put up with quite a bit of abuse from the horses.
    So, who do you get to do the repair? I just bought a property that came with a Nelson waterer - it is leaking badly. Who do I call?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobett View Post
    Hi Jody,

If you're looking for something that is super tough, doesn't take electricity and can do very well in cold environments, take a look at our Cobett waterers. Feel free to give us a call any time at 888-699-4722. http://www.cobett.com

Good luck!
    We are going to replace some waterers next year, too late now. How do yours do with freezing in Iowa winters without a heater?
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Quote Originally Posted by technopony View Post
    So, who do you get to do the repair? I just bought a property that came with a Nelson waterer - it is leaking badly. Who do I call?
    They are not very complicated. Any plumber or handyman service would be able to do it. Nelson will send you manuals and part diagrams if you call them. They can probably also tell you somebody near you who installs and repairs them.

Another vote for Nelsons. I've had them for seven years with virtually no problems. (The only problems had nothing to do with Nelson, but with the electricity and plumbing installations). They are completely not a big deal to fix -- my local electrician and plumber fixed mine, and both were familiar with Nelsons. Finally Nelsons' customer service is phenomenal.

Thanks!
    The b/o's DH takes care of the repairs. It couldn't be too difficult...

These are the ones we are in the process of installing
    http://www.equuspring.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

They came highly recommended from friends of mine that run large farms in KY. We always have some horses that like to “play” in the low profile waters/tanks and eventually break something.
    We also have Nelson in paddocks that serve 2-4 horses just fine. It is fitted in a concrete flanged drain about 3+ feet off the ground. It is about the only thing on the farm I have not had to fix in the almost 10 years we have owned it.

Thanks!

There is not a lot going on underneath the bowl and should be a very easy fix once you locate the leak. Be brave and take it apart and then call Nelson.
    http://www.nelsonmfg.com/
    They will tell you what you need if anything from there. It might be something that can be bought at a Hardware, Home Depot or plumbing supply.

Lapp Energy Free Drinker! Made to withstand 40 head of cattle!

The barn where I board has a Nelson and it's nice. You may have to clean often because it does get a build up but no complaints.
    We could all take a lesson from crayons some are sharp, some are beautiful, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they still learn to live in the same box. Unknown.

Mirafount. The floating balls seal off the water opening, which keeps it insulated and maintains the temp close to the ground water temp (so warmer in winter and cooler in summer than an open water source), keeps bugs and debris and sunlight out so it stays cleaner, and the floating ball lets you see from quite a ways away that the water is working and the horses have water (you don't have to walk up to it to know that it's working). Will work without electricity even in very cold climates if you have enough horses from drinking from it, or you can run electric to the unit if your situation/location need it.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...&gas=mirafount
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I have used Miraco's Lil Springs for 12 years. Love them. Easy to maintain, easy to clean, and good value for the money.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Default Varnan

I put in a Varnan waterer last year and it has worked great. You can get it with or without a heater- I got the heated model but never turned it on last year (admittedly mild winter in PA). I went with this brand after talking with a few managers of large farms who were replacing their Nelsons with Varnans due to the fact that they are easier to maintain.
    The guy who installed it was skeptical since he had never seen one before, but he is now recommending them to his clients due to the ease of installation.
    One thing I love is how much the horses love it. To them, it is just a big bucket of fresh water, and they drink and drink from it. I never saw them drink much from the Nelson at the old place.

http://varnanwaterers.com

We have not had any problems with our Ritchie waterer. You can get heaters for them too. I saw a piece on RFD-TV where the Ritchie rep stated that other waterer companies actually buy some of their components from Ritchie! Very simple and easy. We have had ours for about six years, at least.

does anybody have recommendations for low-profile waterers for small fry's? Worried that many of the waterers will be too tall for my widdle Donk!

Mine would work fine for him.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.