The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Worming when stool sample shows zero worms?

I have backed my worming down to twice a year since my horses stay mostly at home. Anyways I was planning on worming this fall usually for tapes. Stool sample can back showing no worms. My horses have good weight and look healthy but I am guessing that not every thing shows up so what would you worm horses with when stool sample shows no worms?

You deworm per the program that your vet suggests for your area and your horse.

And just because your (general you) horses are at home does not mean they are low/no shedders and only require deworming 2x per year. It is important to do your fecals and determine what each individual horse needs.

My zero shedders are dewormed 2x per year, this time of year it is with Equimax.

A fecal floatation won't tell you anything about tapes, that is correct. Bots either, I don't think.

Parasites that I deal here with that are not readily monitorable via FEC are tapes, liver flukes and pins. Tho pins tend to be only an issue in new arrivals. Eggs for these parasites are not passed in stool very often. They are not frequent fliers so to speak, however, they do pass.

Parasites that I deal with here that are not monitorable at all via FEC are neck thread worms and bots.

Your question is best directed to your vet as your vet has experience for your area and the parasites that live there. My vets also have and share the knowledge with clients approval of course which farms have resistance to certain dewormers. These farms are actually few in number....but it is good to know that if a horse from farm x comes here that I am shared that info if they have it.

Yes, deal with tapes and bots after a good freeze even when a FEC is clean - that's standard protocol based on all the current information.

Same in Spring.

Use Quest Plus in the Spring if you can, over Equimax, since moxidectin doesn't kill dung beetles, and they are most active in the Spring.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! I think I will worm for tapes.

The vets in our region are also suggesting only worming twice a year. My vet had said zero worm count don't bother worming. I think I should still worm though.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Yes, deal with tapes and bots after a good freeze even when a FEC is clean - that's standard protocol based on all the current information.

Same in Spring.

Use Quest Plus in the Spring if you can, over Equimax, since moxidectin doesn't kill dung beetles, and they are most active in the Spring.
    So what is best for tapes and bots?

Quote Originally Posted by Fharoah View Post
    So what is best for tapes and bots?
    Moxidectin and ivermectin are the only chemicals that get bots.

Since you need one of them each time, then your best use is to pair them with praziquantel to get the tapeworms

Moxidectin and ivermectin are the only chemicals that get bots.

Since you need one of them each time, then your best use is to pair them with praziquantel to get the tapeworms
    So quest plus?

LOL, am I really not making it clear? Equimax in the Fall, Quest Plus in the Spring, dung beetles, etc

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL, am I really not making it clear? Equimax in the Fall, Quest Plus in the Spring, dung beetles, etc

This is the same recommendation my vet gives for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

This is the same recommendation my vet gives for the same reasons.
    I am not sure if equimax is available in canada would ivermectin gold be similar?

I'm curious -- we do the five way rotation where I am.

I've only heard bad things about the daily feed-thru wormers causing resistance issues (unless the horse was utterly infested and the shock of a paste wormer might kill too many all at once and cause colic).

Can you run into similar resistance issues with a rotational plan, regardless of if you suspect an infestation of parasites?

I am not sure if equimax is available in canada would ivermectin gold be similar?
    Equimax is Ivermectin and Praziquantel in a 1.87%/14.03% ratio. Zimecterin Gold also is an ivermectin/praziquantel mix in a 1.55%/7.75% ratio. So it would probably depend on how rampant tapeworms are for your area as to which you give.

You might be able to find that under a different name in Canada.

I personally will never go by fecal count/samples alone. At the last barn, my guy kept coming back clean. But he got skinnier and skinnier. Even after pumping a ton of food into him. Double de-wormed him, moved him and now we are on the new barn's schedule. No issues now. YMMV

I will worm. My horse all have good weight they do not look wormy but I plan on worming them at this time and I think I should. I will do some more research. Thank you!

It's Eqvalan Gold up yonder

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    I'm curious -- we do the five way rotation where I am.
    where are you? There are only 5 chemicals in North America anymore for strongyles - ivermectin, moxidectin (same family), then fenbendazole and oxibendazole (same family), and pyrantel pamoate.

The last 3 have nearly no use in a regular program anymore because of high resistance.

I've only heard bad things about the daily feed-thru wormers causing resistance issues (unless the horse was utterly infested and the shock of a paste wormer might kill too many all at once and cause colic).
    The resistance issue is true, but I'd never look to a DW to kill off worms in a highly infested horse. It will do too little, and you're better off using somethign that kills enough but not a lot, like fenbendazole (ie Safeguard)

Can you run into similar resistance issues with a rotational plan, regardless of if you suspect an infestation of parasites?
    The ole way of rotating around various chemicals is part of why we have resistance issues right now. Anyone who has done any studying of parasites and their resistance patterns will tell you today to worm only twice a year if you can, based on clean FECs, and only deworm at other times if a given horse needs it. In other words, as much as necessary but as little as possible.

I will worm. My horse all have good weight they do not look wormy but I plan on worming them at this time and I think I should. I will do some more research. Thank you!
    You have to kill bots and tapes. That doesn't give you much choice in what to do this time

2 members found this post helpful.

Just curious. How long do you wait for a frost? I have had my equimax for a few weeks now and have been tempted to just go ahead and give it because the closest we have gotten to a freeze is upper 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Just curious. How long do you wait for a frost? I have had my equimax for a few weeks now and have been tempted to just go ahead and give it because the closest we have gotten to a freeze is upper 30's.
    Sure hope I do not need a frost because around here we do not get allot of frost just allot of rain. One of my horses gets an itchy tail. What worm