The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need recommendation for blanket sz; he's a tweener...Rambo

Stupid questions....

I would like to get the new horse a new midweight blanket. But he's a tweener in his Rambos. sz 84 is too large in the chest, sits low on the shoulders and gapes in the front. Sz 81 fits the chest/sholders perfectly, no gaping but appears a bit snug.

Do I jump ship and find another blanket manufacturer that will fit him well or just go with the Rambo in an 81.....

I'm familiar with how the Rambos fit, original and wug styles. But I'm not sure how other blanket companies fit.... I;ve heard Rambos are sized generously... so would that mean that I'd need to go up a sz in another companies blanket??

I have found the Wugs to run smaller than the other Rambos, I also find the original Rambos (without the snaps in front) to run a bit different from those with leg arches. So I guess my advice would be to order all three from a place like Smartpak that has free returns and see which works best.

1 members found this post helpful.

So the 84 Wug might be worth a try.

What is the diff between the Original and the leg arch blankets? Other than the leg arch ones prob are longer....ie come down lower on the belly, leg area.

Just on my horse, but the lug arch blanket (that have 2 snaps to a central ring in front) as opposed to the original blankets (that have a t-hook system in front) fit a bit tighter across the shoulders.

I was also going to suggest the 84" Wug. I don't think they are smaller but the different styling avoids all that pulling back & rubbing IMO.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Based on store recomendation I tried the 81 in the Rambo Wug. It looks good and only way to know for sure is to let him wear it and see if he gets shoulder rubs from it. But the 84 in same cut would have been way to big. Just based on how this 81 fit.

Store clerks reasoning was that the Rambos fit bigger than the Amigo. And the 81 I had tried on him was an Amigo. Not a Rambo. I had assumed that all horse ware products (Amigo, Rhino and Rambo) all fit the same. I hadn't heard that one before

But I'm starting to think that finding the right size in horse blankets is a lot like finding the right pair of jeans. I can try on 3 pairs of the same size, same cut same brand jeans and all 3 will fit a little different from each other