The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have an insufficient crotch-to-butt-to-waist ratio. Seriously. If they fit around the waist and crotch, they droop in the back and thigh. Low rise, hipsters, etc all seem to gap in the back and barely come up to the top of my groin line. I'm short-waisted, too, so the "higher waist" jeans then give me the look popularised by Mr. Steve Urkle.
    I have found a few options that aren't too wretched:
    1. Old Navy Sweetheart- but be careful! The sizes are different between the colours. And Heaven help you if you get them at an outlet- at the outlet, I wear a 10L, but at the regular store, that size gives me diaper butt.
    2. An obscure, unlabeled pair of Tommy Jeans that I pulled off a clearance rack. I am babying these things, because they fit PERFECTLY. When the crotch seams explode, I will actually cry.
    3. Wrangler Q-baby. I'm a 11-12 L in these. The funny part? I'm not tall. I'm 5'5", but all leg. And apparently tall people are supposed to have larger thighs and butts, which I just don't.

If I could make jeans, I would. And I'd make a killing.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I think jeans shopping is second only to car shopping in its annoyingness!!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

See I love NY and Cos jeans. The petite ones there are the only pants I don't have to hem up and they have survived me working in the stable and be washed often enough so that they are clean enough to go out in. So far those are the only ones that actually fit me well

I'm 5'6" and about 155 lbs, bigger butt/thighs, small waist. I hate low rise jeans, always have :-) I own 14 pairs of jeans, all purchased at the 2nd hand store. 6 for non barn use, 8 for barn use. Brands; Eddie Bauer, Faded Glory, Gap, Gitano, Lee, Levis, Northwest, Riders, White Stag. Sizes are ridiculous, from a 6M to a 16. The bigger ones are worn w/a thick pair of fleece long johns for winter. The ones I like the best I had the waist taken in, the others w/a gap, I just wear a belt. Paid $2-3 for ea. when they have a 50% off sale :-) When they wear out in the crotch or tear at the knees, oh well, off they go to a craft person for the rest of the material and I have more where they came from!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by erniewalker View Post
    I have an insufficient crotch-to-butt-to-waist ratio. Seriously. If they fit around the waist and crotch, they droop in the back and thigh. Low rise, hipsters, etc all seem to gap in the back and barely come up to the top of my groin line. I'm short-waisted, too, so the "higher waist" jeans then give me the look popularised by Mr. Steve Urkle.
    I have found a few options that aren't too wretched:
    1. Old Navy Sweetheart- but be careful! The sizes are different between the colours. And Heaven help you if you get them at an outlet- at the outlet, I wear a 10L, but at the regular store, that size gives me diaper butt.
    2. An obscure, unlabeled pair of Tommy Jeans that I pulled off a clearance rack. I am babying these things, because they fit PERFECTLY. When the crotch seams explode, I will actually cry.

If I could make jeans, I would. And I'd make a killing.
    We may be related, but I'm 5'8 with really long legs. I just tried some ON jeans and I kept one pair, sold a pair to a co-worker, and returned a pair. The biggest complaint was that fit in the front, but I could almost put another person in the back of the waist. I don't have wide hips, but more of a JLo type ghetto booty. I just ordered a few pair of the Sweetheart jeans to try as the Divas did not work.
    I also have a random pair of Tommy Hilfiger jeans that I'm hanging onto for dear life.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Angry I could've started this thread myself 3 weeks ago.

Over the course of 2 days I had tried on literally 40 pair of jeans in 3 different stores, not counting the two Goodwills I had visited.

What worked for me are men's Wranglers, I think they call them traditional work style, and men's Levi's 517s. A little high waisted, yes. But these suckers won't wear out at the inseam like those fru - fru Old Navy "Goddess" style lycra laced things I've been using to cover my butt the last six months.

Having said that: It's criminal to me to have to fork over upwards of $50 for a good pair of work jeans. I mean, they're going to get covered in poop, pee, hoof oil, saddle oil, paint.. blah blah blah. Apparently I'm not the only one. I guess the fact that Goodwill is sold out of good work jeans is a testament to how poorly the economy is going, too.

Hate bootcut and hate skinny. I AM skinny, but also short and with muscular legs so that doesn't work for me.

I lucked out this summer and found Ralph Lauren jeans that fit 100% PERFECTLY. Now, I do not spend $80 on any item of clothing, ever. BUT - Macy's was having a serious sale on them. I got 2 pair (one black, one dark denim) in the store for $20 each. Then I went home and looked online and lo and behold, they had the same sale and one color (a nice blue wash) was being discontinued for $15/pair. I bought 5, so I am fixed in the jeans dept. for a while.

I don't have much going on in the butt department, but I do have a waist which is enough to cause gaps in a lot of styles. I've found going to the Saks 5th Ave outlet has been the most successful-still expensive jeans, but it's not hard to find some for under $100 that will wear their worth. True Religion seems to have nice thick denim, but normal retail is around $350... I got a pair for around $70. Not cheap, but damn they're tough. Lots of styles/variations for different shapes, just need to have a lot of patience when trying them on. And for jeans that can get totally destroyed, I normally just go to Hollister, because I'm still young and love my tight jeans

For non-barn jeans, my favorite are Hudson's. Very flattering on me, and they have lots of different styles/variations for different shapes. Expensive, but if you find them on sale, so worth it.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Try Levis, their demi curve style fits me fab!

I'm a size 4 with hips and a waist, it used to be dang hard to find jeans that fitted property until I discovered the Levis Curve range about six months ago, love them! They have three or four different curve IDs and you can find your curve here = http://us.levi.com/shop/index.jsp?ca...idquiz:4370093. Definitely worth a try.
    Last edited by Horse with No Name; Oct. 31, 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: to clarify
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

I've been putting off jean shopping for a few weeks now (seriously. I ran errands today after chores in workout shorts, knee high muck boots, and a rain coat because I didn't want to have the jean fight). I had a baby, lost most of the weight, but my hips/thighs are shaped funny. I tried going up a size and I was swimming in them. I'm also very short, which doesn't help.

My main problem is that I seem to have an unusually long butt crack. I can pull jeans up to my armpits, but as soon as I bend down... . I'm seriously about to purchase a few pairs of overalls and call it good. I used to be a huge fan of Rue 21 jeans, since they were cheap and comfortable, but now they seem to make them all with that "got run over by a lawnmower" look that I despise.

My plan is to hit up the mall one of these days and just go store to store, making my husband give me a butt crack report. Maybe I'll blog about it. I plan to drink heavily afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Ralph Lauren is my go to brand for my Polish bum

I'm going to disagree with everyone on the cruel girls. I have one pair I like, but the other 6 pairs gap terribly in the waist now that I've worn then more than a couple times. If you like a low rise jean, I love the wrangler mae jeans, super comfortable to work un, but also really flattering! I have roi wear a 15 in the cruel girls to make then fit right in the butt/thigh area (and then the don't fit right in other areas, but an 11 in the Wranglers fits like custom.

I also really like the Carhart jeans and haven't had any fit issues with them, and they're a higher rise.

I've got similar issues to the OP and am wearing some Old Navy Sweetheart jeans right now, but whoever said they don't all fit the same is SO right. My favorite pair of jeans are some relaxed fit Levis I bought at Wal-Mart.

So, help out my friend if you can. Her older daughter needs size 20 jeans with a 36" inseam. Poor girl is making due with two pairs of mens work jeans.

I spoke too soon! Scored an amazing pair of 1969 Gap jeans--boot cut, wish I knew how to get another pair! They say 'Fall '09' on the inside tag so not a lot of faith in that...can now say goodbye to my Citizens--tried them on earlier today and they were just fitting oddly...

The best solution is to either make an entire day of it at the mall and try on every pair you can find, or to constantly be on the hunt for jeans that fit well. When you find ones you like, buy as many as you can afford.

I love Express jeans, specifically the Rerock type, though it doesn't sound like we have the same body type. I'm short and have muscular thighs, but not a super big booty, and the 2S is a perfect fit where the waist doesn't end up gapping and the thighs are a good fit too. I went in to Express and they literally gave me a pair of every style in my size until I could find the right ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I've been putting off jean shopping for a few weeks now (seriously. I ran errands today after chores in workout shorts, knee high muck boots, and a rain coat because I didn't want to have the jean fight). I had a baby, lost most of the weight, but my hips/thighs are shaped funny. I tried going up a size and I was swimming in them. I'm also very short, which doesn't help.

My main problem is that I seem to have an unusually long butt crack. I can pull jeans up to my armpits, but as soon as I bend down... . I'm seriously about to purchase a few pairs of overalls and call it good. I used to be a huge fan of Rue 21 jeans, since they were cheap and comfortable, but now they seem to make them all with that "got run over by a lawnmower" look that I despise.

My plan is to hit up the mall one of these days and just go store to store, making my husband give me a butt crack report. Maybe I'll blog about it. I plan to drink heavily afterwards.
    Drink a wee bit beforehand, and again while writing the blog! That's my advice!
    I cracked-- errrrrr laughed? At the unusually long butt crack comment!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I've considered buying from here:

http://www.makeyourownjeans.com/inde...oducts_id=1829

Custom jeans for $40 -- It seems like a good deal, no matter what, but especially when the alternative is spending a day at the mall.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Give Levi's a try!

Myself and several of my girlfriends (from built like twiggy to quite curvaceous) have had good luck with Levi's. Because they have men's, women's and junior's sizing available and a variety of styles there are a lot of options.

A friend of mine built similarly to you also had good luck with Sevens (although they may be expensive? I know usually she searches for hers at secondhand shops).

GAP Long & Lean are amazing - if you're not long, get them hemmed.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by dmj View Post
    GAP Long & Lean are amazing - if you're not long, get them hemmed.
    I am long, but unfortunately not quite lean enough. I love Gap clothes and was really bummed that they didn't work for me.

Glad in the misery-loves-company way to know I'm not the only one having this issue.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG