The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Simply because they asked. I saw the entreaty, and thought "why not?" I like this forum, and $20 is cheap enough for a year's entertainment ...and, more often than not, education. I'm happy to help support the cost of keeping this forum online.

I was a premium member before, happy to be one again.

I would pay NOT to have avatars Sorry jn4jenny, but I occasionally visit other sites that are so busy with crap like that I hate to go there.
    I would LOVE to get the special issues of the magazine; maybe premium+ at say $35? I cancelled my print subscription because the issues were just piling up and there wasn't a ton I wanted to read in them any more since I don't horse show, but I really miss the Rolex preview, the Horse of the Year (American horses in sport), the Olympic preview, the Stallion issue, etc.

I like the idea of a CoTH name tag or key chain or maybe a ball cap with my screen name on it, would pay extra for the cap.

I also think the member of the day idea is really good, and the fundraising week.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    I would pay NOT to have avatars Sorry jn4jenny, but I occasionally visit other sites that are so busy with crap like that I hate to go there.
    Hmm, that's a good point. What if Premium members could enable avatars, but forum members could choose not to display avatars by going into a settings menu? I also would approve of avatars only if there a mobile-friendly version of COTH forums that edited out most of the extraneous crap--not just avatars but also a lot of other visual stuff. That would be good for dial-up users and mobile users.

I thought those that are premium members do it to help the magazine and website, not because of any trinkets we get from it.
    I thought it was just a way to give thanks, if you wanted, thru that membership.

That is the way it works in other web sites, membership is voluntary and appreciated, to help keep the web site running.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I thought those that are premium members do it to help the magazine and website, not because of any trinkets we get from it.
    I thought it was just a way to give thanks, if you wanted, thru that membership.

That is the way it works in other web sites, membership is voluntary and appreciated, to help keep the web site running.
    ...but trinkets don't hurt. National Public Radio does this, and it not only makes the donors feel good, but it makes donation to NPR more visible to other members of the potential giving public.

I'm not talking about expensive swag. Let's not kid ourselves--a ball cap that costs $4 to manufacture in exchange for say a $30 donation is not going to equal $30 worth of swag. But it's about showing the world--the real world--how you feel about COTH forums.

I do think it would be nice to have a donation link above and beyond the "buy this premium membership link" for people who just plain appreciate it. I have given to many web sites that way.

If magazine subscriptions (either online or print) entitled you to premium forum membership, I might treat myself and subscribe. As a lower-level pleasure rider, I have no need to subscribe to the magazine because I'm not involved in that part of the horse world. I have enjoyed the few issues I've read just from an outside perspective. So if there was an incentive to get both subscriptions at once, I might be interested.

And definitely a mobile app!
    Last edited by Natalie A; Nov. 1, 2012 at 04:15 PM.

I agree I would pay to get rid of the red type! (not a fan of the new look either).

I like that the site is avatar free (sorry!) its more professional and adult which is why I like it here.

I would love it if photos could be embedded but as links or small thumbs that launched as an overlay to view. I hate photo intensive threads, just too much to wade through, and when the links become broken later on its just a lot of garbage to scroll down through. I despise downloading the thumbs as it is now, and rarely ever do, and it would be nice to view an image without having to leave the site.

I agree with whoever mentioned about subscribing to the printed magazine, premium membership would likely push me back over the edge too (former subscriber).

I LIKE the advertising on the side. The BOB ads are interesting with their little infomercials, and I like learning about new products (or lusting after gorgeous barns!). I am SO glad the evil bottom pop up ad is gone though. [shudder]. That was intolerable.

I would absolutely become a premium member if some of their advertisers offered CoTH member discounts.

I also think it would be neat to have an ad space devoted to CoTH premium members. Nothing big of course, but many people here have services and wares to sell and I think it would help foster the community.

And I would happily buy a CoTH hat.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I would pay NOT to have avatars .
    Add me to this group. Not having flashing and sparkling avatars is part of what I really like about COTH.

Not only don't I like avatars but I also don't like smileys. Sorry, I know that makes me a grump! One or two smileys I can live with but the posts that use them like punctuation get skipped.

I'm on one board where when you pay for premium status, all the ads go away.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Not only don't I like avatars but I also don't like smileys. Sorry, I know that makes me a grump! One or two smileys I can live with but the posts that use them like punctuation get skipped.
    I like smilies.
    As someone told me long ago, my writing is stilted, not properly "chatty" and some get offended easily because of it.
    They recommended I use smileys to make my post a bit less "serious" and it sure has helped.
    When I don't use them, I get more posters objecting to what I write, I tried it.

Those that write well don't need them, but for those that don't, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have to agree. A smiley here and there are great. Threads that are just chocked full of smilies are annoying.

That reminds me, I would pay to be a premium member if it meant I did not have to see rainbow colored posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I'm on one board where when you pay for premium status, all the ads go away.
    Well, maybe an option to hide them, not see them?
    Many have stated they like to see the ads, other than the monster pop-up one at the bottom, that was horrible.

Those ads help pay for the site and they really are not offensive.
    I do have a problem with them in the new settings leaking over into the posts in my IPhone, but that is a glitch in the system, not how it is supposed to work.

NOW I find out that embedded pictures don't work haahaa ... after I go premium because I think it's a cool feature. Ah well ...

I really don't think $20 is too much for the quantity of advice one can get here and through that quantity, sifting thru to find really outstanding quality IMO makes COTH 2nd to none. I'd hate to see the archives not have a permanent public home.

I prefer not to see avatars as well. I'm kinda surprised about the number of people who don't like the ads ... I've managed to not even notice them for ages. Still, they are probably what makes the page load slowly sometimes, so I'm all for them gone.

One things that I've really liked on technical message boards is something called "reputation". People evaluate answers from 1 to 5, I believe and posters receive reputation points. In addition, evaluations from high-reputation people yield more points than newbies, so I think it can really help identify the answers that are likely to be correct and thorough.

But I never see the snarkiness there that I sometimes see here.

And you know what else? I *LOVE*LOVE*LOVE* that our signature lines are controlled. AND that there's no advertising in the message threads (between messages ... I see tech sites with google ad words there and it's a concentration-bump).

There was no red on my screen this morning, so either something hasn't refreshed or y'all have already made a difference!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I like smilies, but only the occasional few, and colored fonts for emphasis or clarity only. I have blocked a poster who uses more smilies than letters and am contemplating blocking one who writes in rainbows.

I agree with AWG, I like relatively brief sig lines (thank God no pictures) and no ads in mid thread!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

I would LOVE to get the special issues of the magazine; maybe premium+ at say $35? I cancelled my print subscription because the issues were just piling up and there wasn't a ton I wanted to read in them any more since I don't horse show, but I really miss the Rolex preview, the Horse of the Year (American horses in sport), the Olympic preview, the Stallion issue, etc.
    Yes! Yes! and YES!!! I would DEFINITELY pay 35.00 for premium membership + the specials!!! That would be awesome!

Also have to agree with the no avatar group, but would love in-line photos for sure.
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....