The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Repair or Replace?

My sewing machine quit last week. Apparently it's not as heavy duty as advertised and is on strike after I made a codura & fleece cart cover. Other than that, I like the machine. It has a bunch of stitches and does lighter stuff well.

My dilemma - I'm generally not a throw away person. I still have my first sewing machine (20 yrs old) that has had regular maintenance that far exceeds its value (Wal-mart special ). The new machine I had in for a tune up this summer, and it was around $100 to fix it + the time to get over there to drop off/pick up. I was greeted this morning with the same machine advertised on a cyber Monday special of $129.99 + $0 shipping.

Somebody tell me it's ok to just junk the non-working one, please.

Find someone to donate the non working one to who can repair it...stick it on the craigslist for free section. Then go buy yourself the new one. Win/win.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't sew much, so would not spend the $ - my own is over 60 years old -
    an old fashioed singer, classic shape, that was converted to electric from being a hand turned one. It is tough as nails and has done horse blankets and picnic chairs and I can still find a man in a sewing machine shop to fix it and replace old bands that have dried out.

Trying to re-fill the spools is a trick in itself.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I did some digging and the one I found isn't quite like the non-working one - not quite as beefy. I have until midnight to make my mind up. Putting the critter on Craigslist or eBay did cross my mind.

I sew quite a bit and probably should have spent more to begin with than I did. Apparently now I will, one way or the other. What I used to do with older machine was unreal - no problem with horse blankets,etc., but it's just wore out. I've been using it for the last week and it's just tired.