The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Come on, trick or treaters!

A little rain and freezing damp cold never deterred me from free candy as a child!

I absolutely love being home for trick-or-treating on Hallowe'en. I don't know why. But I've got "Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Great Pumpkin" and hard cider and pumpkin beer and a glow-in-the-dark Happy Hallowiener shirt and Jack Skellington socks and a ton of candy and the dachshunds are dressed up. And I'm sitting here eating all my Kit-Kats. Kids these days are pansies.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ooh, I just got a very small witch!

They postponed our Trick or Treat until Sunday due to weather.
    And school has been cancelled the last two days so no school Halloween party yet...er, I mean "Harvest Party".

Oh, and I LOVE passing out candy with the dog, chatting with the parents, admiring the cute kid costumes, and raising my eyebrow at the teens without costumes.

All of mine have been and gone. Half of them came on horseback. I had to fetch apples for the ponies too!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I want to trick or treat on horseback!

I had plans to attend a dinner party tonight, but with my SO at work, I didn't want the dog at home stressing out/barking her fool head off by herself. So I'm home with a case of Woodchuck, cuddling with my dog. I bought candy to hand out because, much as I'd like to be left in peace with my Stephen King novel, I don't want to rain on anybody's parade. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, so I won't ruin it for the kids.

They seriously better come get this candy though...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Holy crap, I want to trick-or-treat on horseback! I live in the city, so that would definitely be worth some candy even if I am thirty...

I have 50 carved lit jack-o-lanterns in the yard, an industrial sized coffee urn filled with hot spiced cider, and two big bowls of candy.

I haven't had one person come by yet.

I've been thinking we might have a bad year, one of the ways into my place is still flooded but I was hoping to have a few people stop by.

mswillie, that's such a bummer!

This is the first house I've lived in where we actually get trick or treaters, and they are so much fun!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

They basically postponed Halloween until Friday in my town in NJ. It's sad, but makes sense given that there are still a ton of broken/uprooted trees out there. Other towns are pushing it back a week. Crazy weather.

Woo Hoo!! A few people just pulled up.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    I have 50 carved lit jack-o-lanterns in the yard, an industrial sized coffee urn filled with hot spiced cider, and two big bowls of candy.

I haven't had one person come by yet.

I've been thinking we might have a bad year, one of the ways into my place is still flooded but I was hoping to have a few people stop by.

If you weren't so far, we'd come! I just spent an hour trick o' treating with my 2 year old DS. He was a dragon, I was the knight, and his baby doll was the stand-in princess since DH couldn't leave work at the last minute. DS loved it!

Yay mswillie! It's terrible to be all ready and have no one show... it's like a failed party.

We've gotten a handful. Not nearly as many as last year, where I had the door propped open with the baby gate so the dachshunds could greet everyone, and had to sit on the porch to keep up... now it's just one every now and then. Sigh. More Kit-Kats for me...

I am SO aggravated! This is our first halloween in our new house and we really did it up right - we live right next to a damned GRAVEYARD, for cripes' sake - we should be fighting off the trick or treaters right and left! But nope, apparently they're actually SCARED to come to our house or something? I mean, ok, we do live on a kinda scary looking street, but come on!

Halloween in my area has been postponed due to the aftermath of the storm. Too bad because by the time the trick or treaters come around I will have eaten all the candy.

We live in the middle of nowhere and have a 1/4 mile long driveway...needless to say we won't have any visitors tonight. I'd love to live somewhere where they come by though!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

It is warmer here than it has been in a few days, but it is also church night. I've had a few trick or treaters, including some teens barely dressed (did let the teen who cuts my grass and came dressed as a Juggalo grab a handful of candy- he's a good kid). Just had a few little ones not too long ago.

I'm giving out peanut M&Ms, Snickers and Reeces. Who would have thought the M&Ms would be more poular than the Snickers.

Foxhound has been baying non-stop since before the first kid came to my door.

We have had a billion more kids this year than last year. We had like 5 kids last year and had so much extra candy, so we didnt' buy much candy this year and I'm nearly out! I think it helps that this year, all our street lights are working and the county isn't tearing apart our sidewalks so we're not the dark, creepy street this time.

I just had the most adorable, tiny butterfly wearing a lamb hat. I'm pretty sure the lamb hat was for warmth, but the lambutterfly was precious. She narrowly beats out tiny Wonder Woman for cutest costume.

Also, I'm totally on board with parents dressing up to take their kids around but I'm not sure I'm okay with said parents actually trick-or-treating with their own bags. I'm not going to deny anyone candy, but I think once you've spawned children, you should just raid their candy stash if you want fun-sized candy bars.

Sarah, I fulfilled a childhood dream and did it last year on my 16.3 OTTB. My DSO's supervisor lives on the next road from the farm where we board, so I played a practical joke on her and rode into her driveway - took her a few minutes to look out of her high-up kitchen window to come face to face with me
    Riding home I saw a guy out raking leaves and I hollered trick or treat. He waved me over, and Heart would have merrily followed him inside! Heart scored a HUGE carrot, and I scored a honkin' big bag of chips LOL
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

1 members found this post helpful.

We just turned off the lights...132 this year! Halloween is so much fun for Mr Flightcheck and I. We decorate the yard and the whole house, and the kids are so much fun.

This years popular costumes were PowerRangers, bumblebees, 'hos, and zombies.

Third Halloween in the dog farm of misfits, and not surprisingly no trick or treaters here. Rural area anyway, they all drive into the neighborhoods and skip us on the through roads. Not that anyone would come up to our house anyway.... sixteen dogs going mad. 95% of the time the dogs are quite calm and quiet, I promise. But there's no convincing someone of that when they're standing in our driveway!

I really do miss the last house we lived in for trick or treaters. Kids can be so cute when there's something in it for them ;-)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)