The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NJ to VAHT - gas?

Leaving from Tewkesbury NJ tomorrow for VAHT in Lexington VA - I currently have enough to make it about 200 miles - so like the 78 / 81 interchange. What is the gas station situation through PA on 78? It is a nightmare in Bergen and Morris counties (where I live and work - haven't made it to barn yet but I hear it's worse) and it's a 1-2 hour wait to fill up - and at some places, you can only get a can, not fill your car? Should I get up at 4am (kill me) to get gas? Bad enough that I have to apparently drive under live wires to get to the barn... wishing I had car paint for "VAHT or death! !!" on my mini's rear window so people will know I died for a good cause! Or can I get it en route? What's the diesel situ if the big rig needs? Thanks!

None of the gas stations in my neighborhood have gas. There is only 1 that had a generator and after one day they went kaput. If someone knows where to get gas anywhere along 78 or 22 south of gladstone and towards PA, I'd be happy to know that too.

Once you're out by 81 you will be fine.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

A couple of people at my barn were driving out to PA to get gas. It's that bad in NJ. How far into PA would I have to go to know that when I show up, gas will be there?

It's crazy! People from home were posting pictures of the lines at the gas stations on facebook. I'm out in central PA so I'm not sure how hard the 78 corridor was hit between my parent's house in Alexandria Township and here. I thought I read on one of my friend's statuses that there were stations open in Phillipsburg but that was much earlier today. I wouldn't think you'd have to go too far into PA, maybe 1/2 hr or so?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86