The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ah shit I'm sorry. Sorry for you and Jake and Zelda and all of use that love animals that just.do.not.live.long.enough (like my whole life)!

Someone posted something on my FB wall along the lines of a dying animals last request, namely that their owner offer their "spot" to another so that as many lost, scared, sheltered animals can find love as possible.

Prayers for Jake and Zelda.

Just now reading this thread. So sorry, OP.

I've thought the same before - cruel to bring another one in near the end? But have found sometimes it relieves the sick dog of having to worry about keeping up his/her place in the pack.

I raised Labbies, and my last two had mast cell, but I was lucky enough that they still hung in there for a couple of years.

Now have an Irish Wolfhound (adopted) who is a joy. And she is 8! and in really good health. Best of luck to you. You will all be in my thoughts.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

CVPeg - I really didn't think the time would be so short when I agreed to take in the new dog - Jake had done so consistently okay. Not well, but still eating, playing, etc. I don't know if bringing in the new dog brought him down somewhat - they really haven't interacted much. I've tried to keep them separated so as not to stress Jake out.

It's funny - I haven't been without a Doberman in about 25 years. Something has always transpired to bring one into my life before I lose the one before.Sometimes I've had the new dog for years before the other dog passes, and sometimes it's just days. I guess I just have to take them as they come to me.

StG

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    CVPeg - I really didn't think the time would be so short when I agreed to take in the new dog - Jake had done so consistently okay. Not well, but still eating, playing, etc. I don't know if bringing in the new dog brought him down somewhat - they really haven't interacted much. I've tried to keep them separated so as not to stress Jake out.

It's funny - I haven't been without a Doberman in about 25 years. Something has always transpired to bring one into my life before I lose the one before.Sometimes I've had the new dog for years before the other dog passes, and sometimes it's just days. I guess I just have to take them as they come to me.

StG
    Sounds as if you are meant to have them as you've found them. Good for them they have someone who understands them. Have never owned any, but have had good friends with some wonderful Dobies. They seem to have your situation in hand, don't they?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I am just so sorry again, jingles for Jake and glad you got the new one. I think it was the right move. This makes me think of my late Mom's beloved Dobergirl, Ruby. She was a peach.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Well, I took Jake into to see the vet, and the vet said that he doesn't seem to be in pain or anxious. The breathing issue is caused by tumors in the chest cavity impeding his lung function, but as long as Jake is eating and not anxious, he didn't see any reason to put him down yet. He said it's the end stages, but for today he's okay.

StG

Good to hear. It's SO hard, this waiting, when you know the outcome. It's so hard to know when the right time is. Sending you massive wishes for strength and peace.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't think it is bad you have your next dobe! We have been down to one dog for almost two months now. I was thinking about you the other day, wondering if Jake was still alive. You will know when it is time. I'm glad he isn't in pain!

Sinte' (our old dobe) thinks life is grand. He has not missed Zelda for a moment. He quickly realized there was a vacancy in the human bed and took advantage. At first he waited to sneak up, curled up on his dog bed until we went to sleep. Then he started jumping up earlier and earlier. He adores having all the attention as well. I am a little embarrassed to admit I have had him and our elderly cat to the vet now and both times been told they are fine (cat was drinking a ton of water and the dog had a weird growth). I think I have become over-vigilant/worried after Zelda passing.

We are in an ongoing dialogue (that's putting it nicely) about the breed of the next dog. *sigh*
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

TrotTrotPumpkin - Here's a picture of the new dog. His name is Drago, but that's subject to change. The owner seemed so proud that he had Drago's CKC papers. The wife had a baby, and of course didn't want to get rid of her little dog, but wanted the doberman gone.

oliverreed - It is hard, waiting, knowing the outcome, not wanting him to suffer.

StG

My dad's Catahoula,Betsy, has been recently diagnosed with osteocarcoma. Right now we are giving her prednisone and tramadol and that seems to be controlling the pain. She's not a candidate for surgery. She's eating well and reasonably active but we will be putting her down soon. To top everything off, my dad is in the hospital with congestive heart failure and isn't doing too well either.

wirewieners - I'm sorry to hear about Betsy and your dad. CHF is very treatable in humans, so I hope the best for your dad. Jake has been going along just on pred and Rimadyl and has done well. The pred gives him a huge appetite, though. He's gone from 85 lbs when this started to 113 lbs today. Gained almost a 1/3 of his pre-diagnosis body weight. But I don't have the heart to say no - why should he spend his last days hungry?

StG

Ahhh sorry to hear that his cancer is progressing - I'm sure you know
    this but just enjoy every day that you have with him and try not to worry
    too much.

And I think he's a very lucky boy indeed to be spoiled so - give him an
    extra treat & a pet from me.

Im sorry you are going through this. I very recently had my Rotti girl diagnosed with osteosarcoma too. I really thought I did everything right to prevent it (she isnt spayed, and she has always been on a very strict high protein raw diet). It was a tough decision but we decided to amputate because she is very young and in great shape otherwise. I really wasnt sure if it was the right decision, but I had to make a quick one because she had a fracture so it was amputate or put her to sleep. So far she has also tolerated the chemo very well and although we opted not to do radiation too the doctors feel she is doing well. Its sad to know that I may only have months, but the doctors keep assuring me that with this disease you just never know. It can be months or years. I havejoined a support group online which has been very helpful to me. If you would like the address please let me know and I would be happy to share. Lots of people in different situations (old dogs, young ones, amputated and paliative) I will keep my fingers crossed your boy continues to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by RottiMom View Post
    I will keep my fingers crossed your boy continues to do well.
    As my recent posts say, he's begun to slip. But I thank you for your well wishes and hope for the best for your rotti. Good luck to you.

StG

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    TrotTrotPumpkin - Here's a picture of the new dog. His name is Drago, but that's subject to change. The owner seemed so proud that he had Drago's CKC papers. The wife had a baby, and of course didn't want to get rid of her little dog, but wanted the doberman gone.

OH WOW. He is handsome! I hope his temperment is as nice as his looks!

oliverreed - It is hard, waiting, knowing the outcome, not wanting him to suffer.

StG
    Oh wow. He is HANDSOME! I hope his temperment is as nice as his looks!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

He is cute. Drago fits him he look like a little dragon....lol
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Oh wow. He is HANDSOME! I hope his temperment is as nice as his looks!
    I hope to get some better pics of him, he really is a handsome boy and such a snugglebunny. I let him sleep on my bed one night, but have to decide if that's something I'll continue to allow - there's so much mud that makes its way onto the sheets with farm dogs. He's the first fawn doberman I've had.

StG

I've been in your shoes...not that long ago or long enough!!! Sorry for the outcome with Jake....cancer is a nasty, cruel disease. He knows and trusts you'll do the right thing for him. As far as the rescue goes..."he" will not replace Jake, just give you something to take your mind off Jake a little bit at a time. Anytime you save an animal, you've "done good"!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Love dobies. We had a great one. So sorry I know how you feel my boy had bone cancer also. He had issues for a year of getting up and down really slow and a slight limp on and off. Xrayed hips and found nothing. Then about a year later vet looked again and felt down his leg and he felt the bone area where the cancer was. It was horrible news. There really isnt anything they can do. My vet said it's a very aggressive cancer and he had maybe a month before it was in his lungs and he wouldn't be able to breathe anymore. He also said his leg was very vulnerable to breaking and I just couldn't let that possibly happen. He was 120lbs and no way could I have gotten him up and to the vet if it broke at home. I wasn't going to put him through that. I decided to put him down 2 days later because of that risk and he was having such a hard time moving anymore. He use to be just sore but those last few days he could barely get up anymore. The worst part was the morning I put him down the vet came to my house to do it. I sat outside with him and held him while he did it. My boy loved the vet and that morning he actually growled at him and he had to back off a couple times. It made me question myself because he didn't seem ready to go. But now I look at it as he was very protective over me and I was a mess, crying and upset I think he was still trying to protect me till is last breathe Not understanding why I was such a mess and this vet is coming at me. I miss that dog till this day, that was 4 years ago. He was an amazing boy! So so sorry for you!
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Jake's gone. He was out this morning, running with the other dogs and barking at motorcyclists, then crashed this evening. I got him to the emergency vet to have him put to sleep, but he died while he was waiting to be seen. You were a good dog, Jake. I love you, baby.

StG