The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We are doing the exact same thing, getting a couple of ewes this spring to help keep the pasture down. We are going to be looking at hair sheep, probably Katahdin sheep or a cross of a couple of types of hair sheep. Definitely not interested in shearing! I have done a ton of research and I'm very excited about it. Hope you have a great experience!

We added sheep to our farmette after visiting a sheep farm in Connemara, Ireland. They were so lovely up close and in the fields and the farmer convinced us they were the easiest animals to have in our care. He was right and we LOVE our sheep! They've been an excellent addition to our property and are quite friendly and entertaining.

We have a mixed wool flock consisting of 2 California Reds, 3 Jacobs, and 3 Lincoln/Corriedale crosses. We found the breeders after speaking with everyone at our local county fairs then following-up a month later (in case the fair sheep caught something). All of ours were purchased as juveniles ranging from 3-6 months. While they spend each night in their own reinforced small paddock with shed, we'll often turn them out in a large paddock with a couple of horses during the day. Everyone gets along.

If you've ever clipped a fuzzy pony you'll find shearing sheep isn't all that bad. Make sure to have a helper and raise them up to waist-height on a sturdy table or shearing platform. Bending over makes for a very painful clip job. The trick professional clippers taught me is to keep a bucket of hot water nearby and dip the running blades in to dissolve the lanolin. Works like a charm and I can clip a heavy fleeced sheep in about 30 minutes.

Enjoy your wooly friends!
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford