The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Treadmill; who's got one??

Trainers: If you have a horse treadmill, do you like it?
    What are your barn rules about the use of the horse treadmill?
    Do you charge your boarders to use it? How much?
    Are there liability issues?
    Tell me all!!!! Thanks.

I'm not a trainer, but my trainer has a treadmill. It's great! Most of her horses go on it everyday, from the green horses just building fitness to her upper level horse for extra fitness without stressing his legs. Boarders can pay $25 per time or $250 a month for everyday. It can be set to various levels and has some pretty tough 'hill' work. It was (literally) a life saver when rehabbing my gelding last year. He was absolutely dangerous to hand walk, and when I started riding him again it was NOT going well. The treadmill forced him to walk straight without any playing around and kept both of us safe. I would put him on it for the walk work, then tack up and trot once he'd had time to settle down. It has a ton of safety features, so the few times he lost it, he wasn't in danger. I would not hesitate to use it again for rehab, and still occasionally put my other gelding on if I can't ride that day.

Barn rules are basically clean up after your done, don't leave your horse on it after the timer is up (so other horses can use it) and don't do anything stupid. I did have to supervise my rehab gelding after the third or so time he attempted to kill himself and the treadmill, but everyone else is fine unsupervised.

Just wondering if you guys do turn-out?

Just be sure to train your team better than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BuuM-__g2I

Holy Smokes -thanks for sharing. I wonder what happened to handler,doesn't look to good.

We have one and love it! All the horses are "broke" to it and it has helped with the overall fitness of all our horses. I'm a big fan of the ability to do low stress high intensity work all at the walk. The muscling on the horses is amazing!
    Our rules are pretty simple. Only the trainers and select working students are allowed to put horses on the TM. Horses in full training get unlimited TM use. Many times we put the horses on after a ride to help cool them out. It's great durrin the winter when they sweat a lot. Really helps us keep moving and ensure the horse gets cooled out properly.
    All horses still get regular TO weather permitting.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Yikes, scary video!

I don't have a treadmill, but I haven't heard great things about them. I heard they can be hard on a horse's tendons. Also, they are alone on it, (and horses don't love being alone) and you obviously have to have an experienced handler.

I do have a Euro-walker, though, and I love that! It's 80' diameter, the footing is the same as my arena, (sand and clay) and the horse's love walking on it. They go on it every day in different groups and they get totally relaxed and walk with their heads down and stretch their backs. I keep it watered and dragged and it is open slated with vertical partitions so they can see through it and around them. They go on it about 45 minutes/day. I've had mine for 8 years and it takes up to 8 horses/rotation and in all those years with close to 60-70 different horses on it I've only ever had one accident.(And he ended up unhurt). They go on it before they get turned out, so they play less in the turn-out.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

The barn I boarded at before I moved back to Atlanta had a treadmill and I have to say I thought it was a great amenity. We did pay extra for it, but I can't remember how much it was. I like the fact that the horses are working straight (v.on a curved path like the walkers) and you can vary the intensity.

We never considered it a substitute for turnout; turnout is the horse's time to get out, get some fresh air, and relax. Treadmill time was for conditioning, more similar to a ridden workout.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Wow that video is terrifying, but also helps to see a 'worst case scenario.' That horse handled it all VERY well. I myself have never used one or been involved in the use, but I see them all over at Thermal and WEF. Considering the temperment of some of the top jumpers out there (and knowing horses in general), I've always thought it seemed like a danger zone and all types of scenarios come to mind. Thankfully both of them seemed okay - well, I'm not sure about the person..
    Last edited by refresh; Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:28 AM.

My friend has one, she bought it for her EPM mare, and keeps it at the barn where she boards her horses. It is not for the use of anyone else so I guess no liability issues are involved. She finds it very useful for her horse, and a groom is always in attendance.

Default Can't live without my gym.

I have a horsegym treadmill at my farm and I can't imagine living without it. It is the best employee I have ever had. It is never sick, never late for work, always does a good job!

The horses benefit from walking on the gym becoming more flexible, less prone to injury and stronger. They also love the opportunity to get out of their stalls an additional time during the day. It does not require any grooming, tack cleaning or labor so it saves a ton of time in the barn for the staff.

I charge an additional $150 a month during season and the year round customers it included I their board because I want all of them to use it saving us time and making the horses be the best they can be.

Curious – those that use them regularly, do you have access to open space to do hill work?
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

I loved having the treadmill! Once all of the horses were trained for it it was great. Had a few scary moments but horses caught on pretty quickly. It was in an crappy place in the barn but that was a temporairy placement and did move later.

No they still had regular turnout or as much as they got at a top show jumping stable. And no we had no access to hills other then the grand prix bank and that wasn't finished yet.

It was used more for an extra training ride then anything and for when they couldn't go outside due to weather.

Ours never did more then a brisk walk on it.

P.

Oh man I am so envious of those of you who have one!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Default Horse Gym

We own and operate a large breeding and training facility and decided to purchase a Horse Gym about 6 months ago. It has been an excellent addition to our program.

The horse gym is constructed with safety in mind. It is made to withstand being bumped, kicked, jumped on, etc... There is a built in emergency stop button as well as a laser which will stop the treadmill in case the horse falls. The machine can be run on a pre-set program or a custom one, depending on the needs of each horse. The speed and incline are easy to adjust. Most of our horses are probably able to walk unsupervised but we have people around the treadmill all day so the horses are never left on it alone.

Thus far, all the horses we have taught to treadmill have accepted it comfortably with in 2 or three sessions. We use it for horses of all ages and training levels. It is a great way to maintain and improve fitness and conditioning. Our machine runs at least 12 hours every day.

As with any piece of tack, equipment, etc., when used correctly the horse gym has wonderful benefits.

We purchased a horse gym in March after WEF. It is by far the best investment that we have made. All the horses learned quickly and had no problems getting accustomed to the gym. Generally 12 - 15 horses use the gym daily. It is great for horses that need extra conditioning work, horses that are injured that need to be hand walked, horses that cannot be turned out...etc. The machine has been a big part in helping all of my horses get stronger behind and building a good top line. I recommend to everyone that the horse gym is the best investment you will ever make and your horses will benefit so much from the gym.
    Peter Pletcher & Danny Arendt

Boy I'd love to have one!
    How much do they cost?
    How do you charge your clients? Increase board for all or charge by the session/month?
    Where does the unit go in the barn? I wonder if it just fits into an empty space like a grooming rack or what...

I have three of them. One at each of the farms we work out of, Lauderdale, Wellington, and Pa. It is the best investment I've made in the Horse Business. I have the European Walker also, but there is no comparison. I find the Treadmill is much safer, especially for horses coming off of an injury. It is controlled exercise. I find them very beneficial for horses coming off of soft tissue injuries. On the Treadmill, the horses' foot is landing totally flat every time it hits the surface. When the horse is loose in the Euro Walker, he can run and buck and re-injure himself. Also on the Walker, the horse is not landing flat footed as it does on the Treadmill. The Walker tends to get ruts from the horses walking in the same path. The Treadmill is definitely something we get a lot of use out of. Mine run all day long. It is equally beneficial for the Hunters as it is the Jumpers. Everyone one of our horses goes on it and I can say I've never had one problem. I wouldn't be able to function without it.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    Boy I'd love to have one!
    How much do they cost?
    How do you charge your clients? Increase board for all or charge by the session/month?
    Where does the unit go in the barn? I wonder if it just fits into an empty space like a grooming rack or what...
    The Horsegym unit lists for just over $30K. When I've been at barns that had them, there was usually a per month price for a regular program or you could pay by the session, but if you chose to pay per session, then you had to put the horse on the unit yourself and stay to supervise. Most of the horses were put on the regular monthly program and the grooms put them on the treadmill just like they took them out for turnout.

There were people who loved it and were happy to pay the extra fee per month, and people who had no interest at all (or didn't want to pay extra.) IMO it is the sort of amenity that should be optional.

Every treadmill I have seen is outdoors; they are pretty big and I wouldn't think a standard grooming stall would be big enough.

For what it's worth, I don't believe it is an alternative to turnout OR ridden sessions, but an addition to the horse's work program. It helps build fitness for sure.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina