The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chincoteague Island + storm

So what about the ponies ? Those outer islands are smalland low. Is there a disaster plan ? Anyone know?
    I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you

I was wondering the same thing.

I have been wondering the same thing.

I don't know.

It is raining sideways here and I am a loong way from Chincoteague.

Those ponies have survived and thrived over how many years, despite the worse Mother Nature has thrown at them so I am sure they find a way to stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    Those ponies have survived and thrived over how many years, despite the worse Mother Nature has thrown at them so I am sure they find a way to stay safe!
    I was thinking the same thing. They're alive and kickin' and have been through hurricanes and such before.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I read on Facebook a day or two ago that plans were made to open a "south" gate so the ponies in that area could go to high ground. The other area already has high ground. They mentioned that they were posting at that time because, with all volunteers, they dealt with this and then had to deal with their own family so everyone was safe.

So to answer your question, it seems like plans were in place and the ponies should be fine (according to those in the know dealing with the ponies). Think how long they have lived there and I am sure this is not their first hard time. I wish them and everyone involved a safe next few days.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Unfortunately, part of being a wild animal is surviving these kinds of things -- and somehow they usually manage to do so. At least they have given them an escape route to higher ground.

As far as the VA herds go, I have heard that in the case of really bad storms, they move the ponies to the fair grounds on Chincoteague. Not sure if that's what they have done this time around. Hoping they all stay safe regardless of where they are.

I don't know about the MD herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbrook View Post
    I read on Facebook a day or two ago that plans were made to open a "south" gate so the ponies in that area could go to high ground. The other area already has high ground. They mentioned that they were posting at that time because, with all volunteers, they dealt with this and then had to deal with their own family so everyone was safe.

So to answer your question, it seems like plans were in place and the ponies should be fine (according to those in the know dealing with the ponies). Think how long they have lived there and I am sure this is not their first hard time. I wish them and everyone involved a safe next few days.
    Yep, that's the standard procedure. They opened the gates to the southern enclosure which is on lower ground. The much larger northern enclosure has already has high ground. This year's buybacks are at the carnival grounds on Chincoteague and that is also high ground. The ponies have been through this sort of thing before and know what to do.

The fire department has a Facebook page and have been posting updates. After the storm passes they'll go out and check on them.

This was on the news:

VIRGINIA

A curfew is in place on Virginia's swamped Chincoteague Island. Officials say the entire 37-square-mile island is underwater, and there is no way off the island because a causeway to the mainland has been closed. The 3,500 islanders who decided to tough out Hurricane Sandy have been told to keep off the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    Actually, they haven't. Half of the herd died in a storm in the 60s and I think I remember from the museum there was a much earlier storm that nearly decimated the entire herd. Didn't at one point they put out requests for people who had bought ponies to donate some back to replenish the wild herd?

Part of being wild.

These ponies as a whole, have survived storms, famine, and us for decades and with the support of so many i think and hope they will survive for generations to come. kudos to all those who have gone above and beyond to save them during this what sounds to be a very very scary storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    This was on the news

Quote:
    VIRGINIA

A curfew is in place on Virginia's swamped Chincoteague Island. Officials say the entire 37-square-mile island is underwater, and there is no way off the island because a causeway to the mainland has been closed. The 3,500 islanders who decided to tough out Hurricane Sandy have been told to keep off the streets.:
    Oh no! I sure hope they are ok.
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    Actually, they haven't. Half of the herd died in a storm in the 60s and I think I remember from the museum there was a much earlier storm that nearly decimated the entire herd. .
    OT: Pet peeve. "To decimate" means "to reduce by 1/10th." People really need to stop using it to mean wanton destruction. Annoys me almost as much as using "mute" when you mean "moot."

And the herd's survived as bad or worse before. Wild animals are going to die, I'm sure, but that's what happens in bad weather.

oops, thought it meant to reduce to 1/10. not by 1/10, but you are correct. However, I just looked it up and the first two definitions meant 'large destruction' or to 'destroy a large amount of', so I think it's OK to use it that way if the dictionary says so.

Chincoteague & Assateague, MD/VA plus The Outer Banks, NC are all barrier islands that have native herds of wild ponies, some managed more than others. They have all been in my thoughts and prayers during this storm.

Hoping all is good with the ponies during this storm. I hate for any loss of life for any critters, wild or not.

Anyone know how the ponies are today?
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

I found this in the comments section on the Washington Post website:

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE- 10/30/2012 1200

The curfew for Chincoteague Island has been lifted at noon today. However, citizens are urged to stay home unless it is an emergency. Roads are still covered with debris and power lines in many areas. There is also flooding at Fowling Gut in the areas of Church Street , Bunting Road and Beebe Road.

Crews are conducting damage assessments at this time as well as clearing trees from public roads and repairing power lines. We also ask, that anyone with damage to their homes, contact 757-336-6519 to report the damage so that we can submit accurate data to FEMA. Also, report any trees blocking roads."

No reported human deaths that I could find (whew!).

"The famous ponies of Chincoteague had been relocated to higher ground once the flooding began to wash over the island.

The Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company opened the gates to fencing of their grazing areas to allow them seek the highest ground on Assateague, which park officials said they will do instinctively.

There is high ground on Assateague Island that will not be covered by flood waters. The ponies will ride out the storm on that high ground.

After the storm, fire company personnel head out to Assateague Island to verify that all the ponies are ok."

Don't know where the poster found it, but hoping for the ponies it is credible.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05