The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default my very first horse trial is this weekend!!! UPDATE with video WE GOT FIRST :):)

I'm officially crossing over from the h/j world!! I'll be running beginner novice on a very experienced and trustworthy mare who I've been schooling novice level jumps on.. So I'm feeling really confident and SO EXCITED. I have a few questions...

1) Do you wear the medical armband for just cross country or for all of them?

2) How "free" does the free walk have to be? Do judges like to see the horse stretching all the way down or can I keep a light contact with her? I've been having trouble keeping her free walk "marching" without her trying to trot unless I keep a contact with her mouth.

3) Should I wear a polo in stadium or a show jacket? The show is unrecognized so I doubt it'll be super formal but I don't actually know.

4) How do you warm up for cross country? Is there usually just a warm up ring with regular jumps and you just go in there before stadium and xc?

5) I know I'll have a watch for xc and everything, but I'm still nervous about how I'm gonna keep pace. Is it usually a gallop for beginner novice or is it a normal canter? What is the penalty of going too fast?

I guess that's it. I will have my trainer with me and the horse I'm riding knows what she's doing too so they'll take care of my little hunter self. Any help would be appreciated though
    Last edited by katherineyyyy; Nov. 5, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

1) any jumping -- XC, SJ and both jumping warm ups

2) I'll let someone better able to articulate dressage answer this one.

3) If it's a one day you definitely have a choice. If it's being held over 2 days, ask what is appropriate. Polo is probably fine, but asking is always better than guessing and wondering.

4) both jumping warm ups are typically a specific area with 3 fences -- a crossrail, vertical and oxer. How exactly you warm up depends on your and your horse's preferences and needs. If one jumping phase is immediately after the other, then yes, minimal warm up for the 2nd, if any at all. But that will obviously depend on the timing.

5) this is your first event. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT TIME! Keep going at a nice forward canter and concentrate on having a good time and getting over all the fences. Time is the last thing you need to be concerned about.

Have a GREAT time!!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Where is the event?

Many people think the best free walk is the one where the horse drops his nose the lowest to the ground. This is NOT what the judge is examining. It's about how much ground the horse covers, its steady rhythm and the activity from behind to front. Think of making your horse "sashay" down the line, swinging her hips in a flirtatious march.

My dressage trainer laughed at me the first time she watched me ask my horse for a free walk and exclaimed in her funny little accent, "oh! Wot on earth...you crazy eventas. Don't throw your reins away!" It's okay if your horse needs a little bit of contact, in fact, it's great she stays so forward! Just relax, sit deep, let your legs hang loosely at her sides and inch the reins out, beginning with the outside, then the inside, then the outside until you feel like you've given her the most rein you can. Go nice and deep into the corner before the free walk diagonal to give yourself plenty of set up time as well as to set your horse straight.

Just wanted to add...while you're warming up for stadium and XC, REMEMBER: RED ON RIGHT. We are only allowed to jump the warm up jumps one way.

For beginner novice, just keep a nice, steady canter. Like FlightCheck said, instead of focusing so much on time, just focus on going forward. But just so you know, it's perfectly okay, and not uncommon, to trot during XC when going beginner novice. So if your horse breaks to a trot or you have to slow for any reason, don't worry about it.

Have a blastedy blast!

whats been said. All warm up fences are flagged red on right, white on left. You must jump them in that direction only. Jumping them backwards will get you eliminated.

Free walk, don't throw the contact away. I've scribed for many a judge who's made that comment. Keep the contact, think round and down, and you want ground cover and an loose swinging back, not fast steps.

Have fun and relax.

First, Congrats! Very exciting!
    Free walk- just down, round, light contact. Watch some goes, ask your trainer, feel your horse. You are doing a good job if he/she doesn't try & jump out of the ring, spook at the judge or bolt
    Attire- look clean, if u can, doesn't really matter polo or jacket. If it were me, doing my first event, I'd wear a jacket because it'll look nice for pics. I've seen ones of me wearing a show shirt and no jacket- don't rec'd that- looks awfully like a sail.
    Time- just have a nice forward canter. No need to gallop, you can trot if you need. Just settle into a rhythm and try and keep it
    Have a great time and take pics. Oh and Be sure to eat, drink something so you dont fall off sideways and this may be TMI, but be sure to pee before xcountry or dressage. I always got stuck waiting and had to pee....btw, u will be very tired at the end of the day--it's ok to sleep in your breeches if you need too.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

UPDATE:
    I got first place in the beginner novice rider division!! yayayay! Videos:

Dressage- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j7xFWJOTPk&feature=plcp
    my score was a 28.6!!!!

Stadium- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r4A1XjNGRE&feature=plcp

My mom could only get a little bit of my xc course but here it is-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4WFyNWCGKM&feature=plcp

Congratulations!! That's quite an accomplishment for your first HT!! Super jealous of your dressage score

Congrats! I was going to have my BN/eventing debut at that show (but now my debut must wait until my funds catch up lol).

Where are you located? If you're in Charleston, join our group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/463882700298869/

AzuWish, I am indeed in Charleston and I recently joined that group!

Default Thanks for the memories

Congrats!! I think was in your class BN-A(?) and also very jealous of your dressage score I

loved watching the Stadium round for I accidentally deleted mine. That was a fun course to ride. Y'all looked great at jump *9* 10 and 11. Well done!!

We got the heart, we got the energy, now we just need the dressage

1 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations! I LOFFED your mare, esp on xcountry! She looked so eager but controlled.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Thanks so much!! She's my trainer's, I am OBSESSED with her. I am so lucky I got such an experienced and skilled horse for my first time!

Way to go! You did a great job with her. (I would be obsessed with her too--she's gorgeous!)
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/