The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New to cooking, toss your favorite recipes my way!

So I've recently moved into a new apartment with a lovely kitchen and have discovered that I love to cook! I haven't made much several yummy pasta dishes and a pizza bake, I'm ready to branch out! I'm really not very picky and would love if you'd share your favorite recipes with me. I have a crockpot as well and would love ideas for that now that it's the fall and soon to be winter.

SO and I aren't huge red meat fans but do enjoy it every once and a while. Other then that we eat pretty much everything, although I'd really like some healthy suggestions! Can't wait for some suggestions and to start cooking, thanks everyone!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I recommend a subscription to Cook's Illustrated (either the print version or, even better, the website where you can access all the recipes from past issues.)

There is also a PBS show, America's Test Kitchen (which has a separate website but is part of the same empire.)

They not only give the recipe, they explain why it works and what problems they ran into in testing.

If you're really new to cooking, you might want to run through something like Martha Stewart's Cooking School book to cover the basics.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Something I love to fix that is super easy and makes DH think I'm some sort of chef is crab cakes. I came up with this recipe and it's super yummy, but I eyeball everything so it is a little difficult to describe:

melt 1 tbsp of butter

Combine 8 oz of lump crab meet, the melted butter, 1 whole beaten egg, bread crumbs (maybe 3/4 a cup or so... not sure I eyeball it), one small chopped shallot, a healthy amount of Old Bay (maybe a tbsp or so...), and "ze piece de resistance" just a little freshly shredded parmesan cheese Some people are very against seafood and cheese, but I am of the opinion that it makes everything taste better

Form into patties about the size of the palm of your hand and place in the freezer for 15-30 min so they harden up a little. Heat just enough olive oil in a skillet to cover the bottom and cook on both sides for about 4-5 min on each side or until they are a pretty golden brown color.

Serve with rice pilaf and asparagus and your SO will think you're amazing.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Yummmmm.....

Salmon filets:

slice up some lemons, and lay the slices down flat on top of foil (big piece, you're going to wrap the whole dish up when you're done). Lay the slices out, place salmon on top of the lemon. Put a nice big slice of butter on top, then salt and pepper. Wrap up in the foil.
    350 degrees for 30/45 min, check often, I have a gas oven so cooking time might be different. Delicious!

Brown some chicken breasts in a skillet (with just enough butter or Pam or olive oil to not stick them)

Remove the chicken, dust it with flour, season with black pepper and paprika and set aside.

Add either sliced fresh mushrooms or a can of sliced mushrooms to the brownings in the skillet.

Mix 3/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup white wine, a chicken bullion cube and some thyme and add to the mushrooms. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.

Place the chicken breasts back in to the mushroom mix, cover and simmer 25 minutes or so. Check it towards the end to make sure it isn't drying out. If it does, put a little more water in to save it.

Serve over wild rice, or make white rice with chicken broth instead of just water.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

1 members found this post helpful.

Here are a couple of go to recipes that I use.

Quick pasta sauce:
    5 - 6 cloves garlic - I usually add more as I love garlic
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes - I add more
    1 can diced tomatoes with juice
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    2 Italian sausages - broiled and cut up

Saute the garlic and red pepper in olive oil. Add the tomatoes, sugar, and salt. Stir together. Add sausage and bring to a boil. Cook at a boil for 4 - 6 minutes.

I sometimes call this "everything in the fridge" pasta sauce, because I will cut up zucchini, yellow squash, onion, pepper, mushrooms, anything that I may need to use up. I usually get a couple of days of leftovers from this, and I have made it without the sausage as well.

Chicken Diable

4 chicken breasts
    1 stick butter (do not use margarine)
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup dijon mustard
    1 TBSP Curry powder
    1 tsp salt

Mix butter, honey, and mustard together in a small saucepan. Stir together until butter melts. Add curry and salt. Arrange chicken in a baking pan, and pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350* for 45 minutes. Take foil off and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes.

This is great with rice or with grilled veggies. It freezes really well, so I usually double the recipe and freeze the extra for dinners later on.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Cooking Light is my go-to for quick and easy meals. I get the most use out of my Kitchen Quickies and How To Cook Everything cookbooks.

Advice: In general, opt for fresh herbs whenever possible.

A couple of my faves:

Chicken Tarragon Salad
    • Chicken breasts, boiled or baked, skinned and chunked
    • Mayo
    • Sour cream
    • Salt, pepper
    • Curry powder
    • Tarragon
    • Almonds
    • Grapes, any color

Mix: ~T of mayo, ~1/2T sour cream, s & p to taste, sprinkle or two of curry for hint, tarragon to taste. Toast some slivered or sliced almonds in microwave for ~5 min on High (till light brown). Mix all together (sauce, chicken, grapes, almonds). I just eyeball or taste test this one and adjust mayo/sour cream mix and herbs until I like the texture.

Baked Ziti
    • 16 oz ziti
    • 1 lb ground beef
    • 15 oz ricotta cheese
    • ½ c parmesan cheese
    • ¼ c chopped parsley
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • ¾ tsp salt
    • ¼ tsp pepper
    • 1 lg jar spaghetti sauce (29-32 oz)
    • 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Prepare ziti and set aside. Over med-hi heat brown meat in large pot then remove from heat. Stir in ricotta & next 5 ingredients and half of the spaghetti sauce till well mixed. Add ziti and toss till coated. Spoon mixture into 9 x 13 in. baking pan. Pour rest of sauce over ziti mixture. Sprinkle w/mozzarella cheese, bake at 350* for 20 min.

Makes a lot! Great for company because it's really easy and tastes great. I find that using fresh parsley really makes a difference. Meat is optional, and I've also used ground turkey with success.

Harvest Creamy Corn Chowder/Soup
    Serves 4
    • 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
    • 4 slices chopped bacon
    • 1 onion chopped
    • 4-5 lg ears corn or 1 box frozen corn
    • 1 med or 2 small zucchini, chopped
    • 1 lb small potatoes, chopped
    • ½ red bell pepper, chopped
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
    • 1 tsp paprika
    • 3 TB flour
    • 1 qt chicken stock
    • 1 c milk
    • 1 c heavy cream
    • ½ c flat leaf parsley, chopped
    • Hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil over med-high in lg soup pot. Cook bacon, add onion, corn, zucchini, potatoes, and bell pepper. Add bay leaf, thyme and paprika. Cook 7-8 min. Sprinkle flour around pot, stir and cook 1 min, stir in stock and let it bubble and thicken. Add milk, cream and parsley. Simmer 5 min. Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste.
    Note: Chop everything small-especially bacon.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

There really needs to be a COTH get-together/pot luck...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

4 members found this post helpful.

Resources:

I find I often end up on allrecipes.com
    And if you want a fun, current cookbook, I recommend Rachel Rays 365 No Repeats
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Default Tips to the perfect Roasted Chicken

Not a recipe – but some great tips for a roasted chicken. – after a number of years of trial and error, I have found these are the steps to success!

I have discovered a good roasted chicken is all about proper prep. First, you want to cook a DRY chicken. Go ahead and wash it, but try it thoroughly with paper towels after, dry it inside and out. If you have the time and ability, let it sit uncovered in the refrigerator to dry even more for a full day. This will make for great crispy skin – and not that gooey stuff a wet bird produced when cooked.

Next step to a good chicken? Bring it to room temperature before cooking. Cover with paper towels and let sit on the counter to lose its cool. Make sure that you are starting with a quality bird, and have handled properly to this point to avoid “cooties”. Bringing to room temperature (or close) will make the bird cook more evenly (no more dry breast with undercooked thighs).

Once the bird is dry, and not so cold, brush with olive oil, sprinkle outside and in with salt and pepper (fresh ground is better!). If you have access to fresh herbs, some rosemary inside and outside of the bird is great. Tarragon goes well with chicken also. – and anthing else you want to add, garlic, Italian seasoning etc).

Use a large roasting pan, preferably with some sort of rack. Place potatoes, carrots, celery, and quartered onion around the chicken to make a complete meal.

Start the bird in a 450+ oven, cook at this temp for around 30 mins, and then reduce to 400. Baste often (every 15 mins or so). Cook until the legs become “lose”, you should be able to move them up and down freely, and the joints should feel supple and lose. The skin should also be brown and crispy at this point.

If you do not have one yet, I HIGHLY recommend an instant read thermometer. If you are not sure if the bird is completely done, take the temperature in the thigh.

Once done, remove from the oven and cover with foil (not tightly, otherwise it will sweat and ruin the skin!) – and let rest for 15 mins (to allow juices to penetrate the meat)

Carve and serve!

This is a great winter meal – and its CHEAP. Plus, left over roasted chicken can be used for all sorts of different recipes (including my tortilla chicken soup, which I will post next!)

(by the way - due to the new format, and my browser - I can not reply to PMs!)

The high heat, and the getting the bird extra dry should result in a crispy skin, even with basting. Stop basting 15 mins before bird is removed from oven.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Oct. 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Edited to increase the temps - forgot my oven runs way hot!

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Chicken Tortilla Soup - (to use up left over roast chicken)

I am not big on measuring, taste as you go. You can use left over thanksgiving turkey instead of chicken.

• 1 cut up whole chicken (or left over turkey - around 4 cups, plus two cans of chicken stock)
    • 1 yellow onion diced
    • A ‘few’ cloves of garlic chopped
    • 1 can chicken stock
    • 1 can stewed tomatoes (with chilies if available)
    • 1 can diced fire roasted green chilies
    • 1 can corn (optional, can also add rinsed black beans)
    • Ground coriander, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt to taste (lots of coriander and chili pepper in mine, few table spoons of each)

Toppings (all or none):
    • Fresh cilantro
    • Fresh lime
    • Shredded cheese (jack is best)
    • Sour cream
    • Avocado
    • Tortilla “chips” (I take whole grain tortillas, cut into wedges and baked in a 400° oven until crispy) – also really good with corn bread

First… boil the chicken until done, remove to cool, reserve stock- or boil the carcass of your roasted chicken ( add garlic to the water, that way the house smells like garlic, rather then dead bird). Or you can just get a rotisserie chicken (or left over turkey) and more stock, and avoid the whole boiling the bird thing!

Next, heat olive oil and sauté the diced onions and garlic, along with above spices. Add shredded chicken, stir until well coated with spices.

Next add “wet” ingredients, stewed tomatoes (w/ liquid), chilies (w/ liquid), corn (drain first), 1 can stock. Keep adding reserved chicken stock (or more cans) until you reach a good “soup” consistency, keep adding spices to correct as you go.

Bring to a simmer to combine flavors for at least 30 mins, then the soup is ready to serve! Top with cheese while hot, along with any other desired toppings.

These all sound fantastic!! Keep them coming!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Some of these recipes look delicious. I am no longer "young" and I don't know how to cook. Seriously, I've never been in a kitchen in my life. I made microwave popcorn one time many years ago and sort of burned it.

Is there any hope or should I just skip the idea? What would be a good basic starter dinner? Just once, I want my DH to come home and I have cooked a meal.

I like to cut in half both a bulb of garlic (dont bother to peel, just cut horizontally) and a lemon, and stick it in Chiki's derriere with some thyme sprigs and salt and pepper. Then I slice up a peeled onion and stick it right under the bird. Even if you don't add other veggies to the pan, the onion will start to make your house smell heavenly within 15 minutes. Your man will be dizzy with love lust and desire, guaranteed!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

My favorite veggie (making it tonight, actually!) and SUPER easy-- roasted Brussels sprouts.

Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 400 degrees. Take a bunch of whole Brussels sprouts and put in a 9x13 pan. (You can cut them in half if you want, but it's not necessary.) Pour in a glug or two of herbed olive oil, add some sea salt, stir to coat, and put in the oven. Stir every 15 minutes or so and roast
    until browned and tender, about 30 minutes. MMMNOMNOMNOM
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horseshrink View Post
    Some of these recipes look delicious. I am no longer "young" and I don't know how to cook. Seriously, I've never been in a kitchen in my life. I made microwave popcorn one time many years ago and sort of burned it.

Is there any hope or should I just skip the idea? What would be a good basic starter dinner? Just once, I want my DH to come home and I have cooked a meal.
    Are you *sure*? He will start expecting it you know!

If I can learn to cook, anyone can. I actually had to go take lessons, since I never learned when I was younger. I recommend working one-on-one or in a small group with someone who knows what they're doing. They can save you if things start to go wrong and show you how to recover, vs. just tossing it all in the trash and starting to cry.

If that doesn't appeal to you, then there are any number of 'cooking school' type books available that will teach you the basics, and you can experiment from there. I mentioned 'Martha Stewart's Cooking School' above -- it takes you from broth to roast chicken, all sorts of meat and vegetables, pasta and soups.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

You Know What The Meat is Chicken Nuggets

Toast 4 slices Italian bread. Make crumbs in food processor. Add seasoning salt/Ms. Dash/whatever spices you like (we do spicy a lot), about 2-3 tsp. Nix and leave on plate/in bowl/whatever you want to use.
    Beat 1 egg and 1 cup milk in a small bowl. Cut 2 chicken breasts (or 5-6 tenderloins) into chunks, bigger than playing dice. Put in bowl with milk/egg until wet, then coat in spice/crumb mixture, rub in until coated. Put on sprayed or oiled baking sheet. Bake @ 400 10 min, turn bake another 10. Healthy & any leftovers (we never have any) can be used in salad next day.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Horseshrink, you are never too old.

Can you follow directions? If the answer is yes, you can cook. Seriously. I make a lot of stuff that my family raves about, but I have never created anything. Everything I make has come from a recipe that I found at one time or another.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

For quick meals, check out Bear Creek soups. They're good as is, or can be "kicked up a notch" with a few additions, such as tossing a package of frozen broccoli into their broccoli-cheddar soup mix. The Minestrone can be augmented with some browned ground beef and/or a can of low fat/low sodium beef broth. Use your imagination.

Another useful utensil is a pressure cooker. They can make tough meats tender and delicious in a matter of minutes. There are numerous recipes both on-line and in books.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Default Recipe Forum!

I've been begging forever! PTB, please....