The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best 3-4 day couples trip locations?

The SO wants us to take a small trip this winter, around 3 or 4 days. He has been looking at cruises but is also looking for other ideas, and I'm completely brain dead on ideas as well for some reason, which is where you guys come in.

I want to know what your favorite short getaway type trip location/things to do are, please. TIA!
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Are you looking to do something tropical? See the snow? Just relax, or do activities?

I just actually just did a super short stint to Maui (3 days) and it was perfect! Just enough time to relax on the beach, get some snorkeling in and hang.

I also like cruises, I think you get a lot of bang for your buck.

It doesn't have to be tropical. He was just trying to think of something to do where all we would need or want to do would be fairly close by. We also thought of maybe finding a lodge/BnB/spa somewhere we haven't been (mostly out west, but he hasn't done a lot of the NE either). I'm a sucker for any place that has good scenery for taking photos. He's a sucker for following me around while I take photos..lol. We are both sort of outdoorsy types.

Something relaxing, with maybe stuff to see/do nearby, maybe some photography options, and good food.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

used to be continental airlines had a special which was steeply discounted weekend roundtrip fares to cities which hadn't sold well.
    the special is (was) available after twelve pm on wednesdays.
    i've always wanted to choose a random city on sale and just go for the weekend and explore it. whatever you decide have fun.

DH and I did an overnight in Stowe, VT for our anniversary and it was awesome! We stayed at the Green Mountain Inn and it was so worth every single penny we spent on the room, dinner, and shopping.

It's pretty in the winter, and there is a ton of stuff to do in the area surrounding!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Lake Placid! Though it is gonna get mighty snowy there pretty soon... but there are tons of great restaurants, shops, hotels and the Olympic venue sights/tours are cool.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

DH and I rented a cabin at Big South Fork that would have been enjoyable even if we didn't have the horses with us. Cruises are great too because you don't have to plan anything. Also, skiing is great! Stay in a nice ski in, ski out hotel and you'll be all set for a few days
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

San Diego! Not too far from Texas. Tons to do, including nice outdoorsy stuff. Humphrey's is a great little hotel, like a mini-resort, with some rooms overlooking the marina!

I agree Stowe, VT is beautiful this time of year. We stayed at the Golden Eagle last time. That's more of a trek from Texas.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

IN Texas, DH and I loved San Antonio and Salado (not sure where you are - apologies if neither of these would work or be 'vacation-y' enough.)

It's really easy to take a cruise out of Galveston and there should be plenty of options for travel under a week. I like being able to show up, get on the boat, and not have to think or plan or worry for a few days - super relaxing! :-)

We also love to go to beach areas (usually the Outer Banks) during the off season. Fewer things open but it's super peaceful and quiet, and we like taking long walks, even if the weather isn't perfect.

Captiva Island in Florida is really beautiful! We like to stay at "tween waters inn". It is between the beach and the bay, hence the name. Lots of beautiful wildlife( manatees,wading birds) fab food and some good shopping. We took a high speed boat cruise and the dolphins jump in the wake of the boat. Very entertaining! They also have a spa - DH had a nice massage. Must eat resturant is the " Bubble Room" full of cool movie nostalgia.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

A couple of weekends ago, my DH and I joined another couple for a long weekend in the wine country... of Canada! I had no idea it even existed.

We stayed in Niagara-on-the-Lake, went to the nearby wineries (Peller and Trius were especially fabulous) and explored the town, which was gorgeous, with lots of small shops and some historic buildings, super restaurants, etc. My husband liked it so much we are talking about going back for a couple of days at Christmas, as I am sure it will be even more beautiful at that time of year. Really a fun spot to spend a few days.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

Albuquerque/Santa Fe
    Sedona
    San Diego with a side trip to San Juan Capistrano
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Oh, thanks guys! Some really good ideas posted that I am going to check out. Yes, I am in Texas, but SO is currently in Idaho for work and is from Florida, so no matter where we go, it will almost be like 2 separate trips where we happen to meet up in the middle..lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

I'll second Captiva or Sanibel Island. If you go before the season starts at Christmas, most of the restaurants and stores are open and you'll miss the crowds. Prices are much better then too. But anytime, it's one of my favorite vacation spots.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Vegas.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    A couple of weekends ago, my DH and I joined another couple for a long weekend in the wine country... of Canada! I had no idea it even existed.

We stayed in Niagara-on-the-Lake, went to the nearby wineries (Peller and Trius were especially fabulous) and explored the town, which was gorgeous, with lots of small shops and some historic buildings, super restaurants, etc. My husband liked it so much we are talking about going back for a couple of days at Christmas, as I am sure it will be even more beautiful at that time of year. Really a fun spot to spend a few days.
    I was actually going to suggest the Niagara Falls area too, but thought it might be too far from TX. So ditto this
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Secrets Resorts are a favorite and they are typically close to beautiful places to explore - beaches, jungles, snorkeling, Mayan & Aztec ruins, etc.

Romantic, great food, adults only, spas, private beaches. You can find specials on their website:

http://www.secretsresorts.com/

SO has done a complete turnaround from the cruise and wants to do mountains and snow now. He told me to look for something like Sunriver in Oregon. I was kind of wondering if we could combine the two and maybe do an Alaskan cruise or somethinng. Any snowy, mountainy suggestions?

I did mention VT and he thought it was a great idea at first, but then thought it would be too much travel time for such a short trip.

I love getting very non-specific directions at first, but then it becoming more specific over time..lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

Whistler is an amazing ski destination. Beautiful scenery on the drive up from Vancouver and then just stunning when you arrive. Pretty easy to get to from Idaho at least!

Breckenridge is a more affordable option and has a cute little town and it's a short drive to Vail and Beaver Creek.

All of the above are probably pretty light on snow now. Six weeks from now they may have a good early season base.

Have fun! Until your DH narrowed his wish list, I was going to suggest Charleston, SC. Beautiful walking city and lots of photographic opportunities both in the city and in the surrounding area. AMAZING food, amazing.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Whistler is an amazing ski destination. Beautiful scenery on the drive up from Vancouver and then just stunning when you arrive. Pretty easy to get to from Idaho at least!

Breckenridge is a more affordable option and has a cute little town and it's a short drive to Vail and Beaver Creek.

All of the above are probably pretty light on snow now. Six weeks from now they may have a good early season base.

Have fun! Until your DH narrowed his wish list, I was going to suggest Charleston, SC. Beautiful walking city and lots of photographic opportunities both in the city and in the surrounding area. AMAZING food, amazing.
    Oh, Vancouver is a great idea!! I had thought of some place in CO as well. Thank you! I'm going to do some more research.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds