The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Pony+ an inch View Post
    I have no idea if any of this helps, but I really do empathize with your kid. Hearing loss isn't supposed to happen when you're young. He is lucky to have caring and patient parents.
    Thank you for talking about your experiences getting your hearing aid to fit.

He wears behind the ear (BTE) Oticon Tegos.

I have never met online, let alone in person, someone who has the same kind of loss he does. The bit of information I've been able to find from people who have reverse-slope, which seems closest, is that programming their aids is difficult & many of the settings end up being counter-intuitive.

Cooperation with the audiologist is another issue, but I think he is at a point now where we can probably play with the programming and he can/will describe how the settings sound/feel.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by WombatCA View Post
    Aside from the support that he needs for his hearing challenges, you should also request a consult or support from a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA.) Most school districts (not sure about your state) have at least one on staff. They are specifically trained to address behavior challenges and may be able to identify some strategies that will help the teachers better manage his behavior.
    This is new information for me; didn't know such a thing existed. I will be sure to ask the district if they have one & my insurance company if they will provide one.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    And you probably know this but processing disorders are NOT the same as a conduct disorder. Sometimes kids with processing disorders can be at risk for developing CD but they are not the same thing.
    I do, but thank you for mentioning it in case someone else didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Logical View Post
    Not any particular way of handling her, but instead of just immediately dismissing her for unruly behavior they let her work it out as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of the class, but she has been sent to the principal's office before...It's not easy to have a difficult child. And I never realized just how bad she was until a baby-sat another little girl that was just happy-go-lucky and when she threw a temper it lasted maybe 30 seconds instead of the 2 hours I'm used to. Just breaks my heart to see my kid struggle like she does.
    Sometimes I wish they would just let him hide under the table until he's ready to come out. It may be attention-seeking sometimes.

I know I'm now much less apt to judge parents whose kids are pitching some kind of fit in public. It isn't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    A 7 year old should not be deciding whether or not to wear the hearing aids.

I don't know which state you are in, but we have an Education Law Center in Pa, they give advise and can go to meetings with you to advocate for you and your son (all free). Call them and see if they can put you in contact with something similar in your state.

http://www.elc-pa.org/index.html
    He didn't decide not to wear them. We decided it was one battle we didn't want to fight.

Since I can't staple them to his head, I'm up for suggestions on how to protect thousands of dollars worth of equipment from being intentionally lost, broken, etc. I'm not trying to be pissy about this, but really, if someone's got a viable suggestion, I'm listening.

I recently found the Arizona Center for Disability law http://www.acdl.com and have an intake form submitted to them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    Is there anyone at Gallaudet who could help you? They serve a huge population of deaf and hearing impaired kids and adults.

One of the boys who went to school with my daughters is hearing impaired. He did well in the regular classroom, but the private school was small, the classes were small, and everyone knew about the hearing issue. Would he better off in an academically challenging private school with small classes, low noise levels and lower stress?
    I haven't tried anybody at Gally yet, just trying to reach out locally. They certainly could be a resource.

Yes, smaller classes would probably help. I just don't know if a private school is going to take him with the behavior issues. Cost is an issue, also.

Quote Originally Posted by arabiansrock View Post
    logical - your daughter needs meds NOW. Why do you need dad's approval? My daughter had very similar issues and after some serious meds she is finally in a good place. feel free to pm me if you want.
    Need dads approval because we share her 50/50 and while I could give her medicine while with me he won't do it. Already been done that road with a different issue (twice). And the medicine recommended for her is a build up medicine that needs to be taken every day vs say Ritalin which is in and out in one day. It has been noted both by old therapist and current therapist that he is unresponsive to any treatment recommendation. According to him I'm making it all up and since she isn't bad enough to enforce the issue through DSS I just have to wait. Now if you want to start a legal fund and raise $3k plus to help me get full custody I will gladly send the attorney's name. It breaks my heart and makes me very angry with him. But she is seeing the bigger picture concerning him and I suspect she will soon be voicing her desire to not be with him.
    Last edited by Logical; Oct. 31, 2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Typo.... Stupid auto correct

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    He does not belong in a regular ed classroom. Granted, I teach high school, so perhaps my behavior expectations are higher...

As a regular ed high school teacher, I see kids with IEPs all the time. And a lot of the time even though all the accommodations are being met, the kid is still struggling.
    I don't expect he will intentionally hurt either me or DH, but it is possible for it to happen inadvertently. He's 2/3 my height, although I outweigh him greatly, and is strong. If I have to physically restrain or move him, there is always a danger of a flailing limb, etc.

I certainly hope your expectation of typical high schoolers is higher than that of a young child.

I give a big no thanks to, an IMO misguided, reading of what a Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) is for kids in mainstream classes who would be better served in a resource or self-contained room.

It isn't the kid's fault.

I think you take an overly harsh view of not only my particular situation but of special needs kids in general. I'm sure I'll have to encounter someone like you at least once in my son's educational career and be the sorrier for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Logical View Post
    Need dads approval because we share her 50/50 and while I could give her medicine while with me he won't do it....It breaks my heart and makes me very angry with him. But she is seeing the bigger picture concerning him and I suspect she will soon be voicing her desire to not be with him.
    My heart goes out to you. What an unenviable position.

Is there any way to have the courts intervene?

I don't know much about custody issues, but once she is of a certain age will she be able to voice her preference about it and have that honored?

I was going to write about things that went on with my son, now 31 who is hearing impaired and learning disabled (in today's lingo autistic) but instead will try to say what helped us get through the tough times.

Don't look to far ahead, go day to day, or hour to hour if necessary. Don't waste time wondering why. Do what you can to help him keep making progress.

If the school isn't working out find one that will. Mine was in public school but I can see now how exceptional the elementary school was he was in. Those who knew him best hand picked his teacher for the next year. I was very lucky. I knew I could not teach him myself. Having a good partner in his Dad really really helps.

My son lives with us, I call him my forever boy. He functions at a 10-13 yr old level. He has had a profound influence on my whole family. He's influence directly or indirectly his sister's jobs, my husband's and mine. Also an Aunt and cousin. I would have never chosen this road but it was the one I ended up on and I've become a better person because of it. The middle parts were pretty rough sometimes but we all survived it. Just never give up.

Again, a good evaluation. That does cut down on the "maybe its..........ADHD? ODD? CAP? SID? BPD? CD?" each of which have specific interventions. The Phx area Im sure has very good neuropsychs who could perform this, and develop some really helpful ideas for you, so you don't feel you are guessing.Otherwise, he can develop (is perhaps already) some behaviors that are really unhelpful and will likely leave him very isolated from others (making matters worse, rather than better). Parents like you and Hasty must have a special place in heaven!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    My heart goes out to you. What an unenviable position.

Is there any way to have the courts intervene?

I don't know much about custody issues, but once she is of a certain age will she be able to voice her preference about it and have that honored?
    She has five more years before she can voice her preference and the court will usually uphold it. Courts won't intervene unless she is being harmed in some way or harming others or failing at school because she needs the medicine. I have the feeling that even if me and him were still together this would be an issue. I suspect we won't reach the five years before the 'system' steps in. But at least there is a paper trial showing that I have done everything in my power to provide help to her and have been constantly blocked by him.