The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Seminole Wellness Senior VS. Triple Crown Senior

Which one would you feed if given the choice, Seminole Wellness Senior or Triple Crown Senior & why?
    Both are 10% fat & around the same % fiber & both are low NSC.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Well I can't speak for Seminole as I've never fed the brand, but my seniors are on TC Senior and look great! Both are "hard keeper" TBs in their 20's, but you would never know it from how they look.
    The quality of ingredients is high and I've never had a problem. The one downside is that the feed can get a brick-like consistency that is hard to break up.

I know a few older horses on Nutreena Original Safechoice, including my 22 yo. My (now deceased) 26yo also did well on it. It's quite a bit more affordable, as well.
    14% protein, 7% fat, 15% fiber, low starch http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena/...feed/index.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    I know a few older horses on Nutreena Original Safechoice, including my 22 yo. My (now deceased) 26yo also did well on it. It's quite a bit more affordable, as well.
    14% protein, 7% fat, 15% fiber, low starch http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena/...feed/index.jsp
    It is NOT low starch compared to the TC Sr (no idea about the Seminole) the NSC of SC is around 20% while TC Sr is around 11%.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    Which one would you feed if given the choice, Seminole Wellness Senior or Triple Crown Senior & why?
    Both are 10% fat & around the same % fiber & both are low NSC.
    I feed Triple Crown Senior to my 33yo horse and he looks amazing. I never fed Seminole before ( I looked into it but didn't like the ingredients as much) They may be the same fat and fiber but it doesn't mean that the ingredients are equal.

For me personally, it's 6 to one, half a dozen to another. They're pretty much dead even as far as quality, effectiveness and nutrition goes. The reason I like the Seminole Wellness better than Triple Crown is because they put less molasses on their feed. I've never had to "beat" my Seminole feed into submission so I could scoop it out like you do the TC feed bricks. Er, bags... My old, retired broodie is on the Wellness Senior and does just as well on it as she used to the TC Senior. If you have to water your feed down, the Wellness does take longer to get sloppy than the TC; that I do know.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Thanks everyone. I've thought of switching from Wellness to TC senior due to price. TC is about $3 a bag cheaper but I have to drive further to get it. I'm staying with Wellness now. I make all 3 elderly horses here wet mashes so don't want something that takes even longer to break up.
    thanks again!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by whbar158 View Post
    It is NOT low starch compared to the TC Sr (no idea about the Seminole) the NSC of SC is around 20% while TC Sr is around 11%.
    Sorry; the nutreena website says "controlled starch"...... their newer formulation, Special care, is about 15% starch and sugars combined, 11% starch alone. I have not used that one.

As pellets, it breaks down very quickly into a mash.... my guys love it in this cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by realrush89 View Post
    The reason I like the Seminole Wellness better than Triple Crown is because they put less molasses on their feed. I've never had to "beat" my Seminole feed into submission so I could scoop it out like you do the TC feed bricks. Er, bags...
    Perhaps I am wrong but I believe that the "brickness" comes from the oil not molasses.

We feed both seminole and TC at the barn. Obviously it's hard to compare different brands across horses but the TC horses do seem to have slightly better coats. It also seems more palatable.