The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I Need A Few Suggestions

I'm 24, have red hair and fair skin. I typically only wear mascara (blonde lashes). If there are any make up/face care gurus out there, I would LOVE a few suggestions.

Side note: I'm in Canada, so not all American products may be available to me.

1) I have break out prone skin. I never get REALLY bad, but I always seem to have a zit or two (or five). My 50-something father still gets zits now and then, so I know there's no avoiding it. I would, however, like to get my face clear most of the time, vs having a few pimples most of the time. Is ProActiv worth it? What else do you love?

2) I'm bad at taking make up (read: mascara) off at night, and I know this is not good for me in the long run. Are there any effective, affordable wipes you would suggest to make the process easier? Right now I use a liquid and apply it on a pad, which doesn't sound tough, but if I could keep wipes by my bed I might be better at this whole thing.

3) I would LOVE to find a tinted moisturizer with SPF. But when I go into stores, they don't give me what I'm looking for, more of a concealer type (which I have, and use occasionally). If I could find something that I could squirt in my hands and rub on my face I would be in heaven. I'm essentially looking for something that will even me out a bit, but I would settle for something that's just not going to leave me as shiny as straight up sunscreen does.

4) Is there one particular eye cream anyone uses/prefers that's geared towards anti aging? Or all over face cream. Time to start getting proactive...

Thanks all... I've never been all that good at this stuff. I usually just buy what's on sale, haha.

Check out Aveda products, they work very well. I don't know how their acne products are, but they do have a tinted moisterizer with SPF and I've seen how great their eye cream works. They have lots of helpful reviews on their website.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    1) I have break out prone skin. I never get REALLY bad, but I always seem to have a zit or two (or five). My 50-something father still gets zits now and then, so I know there's no avoiding it. I would, however, like to get my face clear most of the time, vs having a few pimples most of the time. Is ProActiv worth it? What else do you love?
    No idea on the makeup stuff, but my dermatologist recommended alternating between products with benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid to control acne. I have a benzoyl peroxide face wash that I use in the shower, and then some little oxy pad wipes with salicylic acid that I keep on my desk at home so that I remember to use them. And CotHers got me started with Cetaphil as a moisturizer. It's been about a year, and I've had very few zits since then, despite not being perfect about using the stuff that I have all the time.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

for a tinted moisturizer try Studio Gear. I have sensitive skin and I hate the "heavy" feeling some have.

as for skin care, when I was your age, I used a vit. E from The Body Shop. The day with SPF and the regular one for evenings.

I would go to a dept. store like Macy's or some thing similar and have a consult from the make-up counter, they will show you technique and what colors to choose. I would pick up easy pieces like; an easy gloss, a few shades for eye color or a palette, and an eyeliner and pick neutrals like brown, plum purple, etc.

and get nice eye shadow brushes, it makes a difference.

Also fair skinned and sensitive, and not super into makeup. My "everyday" makeup is bareMinerals concealer/foundation, Maybelline Great Lash mascara, and a thin eyeliner usually just top lid (color and brand malleable). I'm not a big makeup girl, and I used to just do foundation/mascara every day. I see that as just evening out skin and enhancing your natural features, and then eyeliner adds a little more polish without adding much time.

1) Struggling with this right now. ProActiv is REALLY drying. I'm trying it out right now and I might switch from using it 2x/day to once, or just using pieces of the setup because it's just stripping my skin. For the record, it goes 1. Benzoyl Peroxide scrub (I DON'T need a scrub 2x/day!) 2. Toner 3. 2-5% (can't remember) Benzoyl peroxide topical. Are you on any medications? One BC made my acne worse, others made it better. Regardless, I'm always worst the week before my period. Also remember that whatever regime you try, it needs ~3 weeks for it to "kick in."

2) I have friends who swear by baby wipes. If you do start wearing more makeup, definitely make sure you take the foundation off too.

3) No tinted moisturizer here, but I like Aveeno ActiveNaturals, it has a fair amount of SPF and isn't very greasy, no sunscreen smell, pretty fairly priced.

4) Best thing you can do is moisturize and sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Thanks for all the tips thus far, I'm taking notes.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    3) I would LOVE to find a tinted moisturizer with SPF. But when I go into stores, they don't give me what I'm looking for, more of a concealer type (which I have, and use occasionally). If I could find something that I could squirt in my hands and rub on my face I would be in heaven. I'm essentially looking for something that will even me out a bit, but I would settle for something that's just not going to leave me as shiny as straight up sunscreen does.
    I have red hair and fair skin, too. I use Aveeno Positively Radiant tinted moisturizer, fair to light. It's SPF 30, oil-free and noncomedogenic, so it shouldn't aggravate any acne issues. It doesn't look or feel like a foundation. It's definitely not as shiny as regular sunscreen and doesn't sting as much if you sweat and it gets in your eyes. If I'm going out somewhere where I don't want any shine I do use a little powder over it. If you have freckles, this will NOT hide them, so you would need something different if you wanted to hide those.

I am fair skinned and freckle faced, but have brown hair with red and blond natural highlights. I'll third (or fourth?) a tinted moisturizer. I use Merle Norman's.

I like Mabeline's Eye Studio eye shadow because it has a nice little diagram that shows you where to put the different colors and this particular color scheme looks good with my fair skin: http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-deta...5?skuId=849718
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I really like the Neutrogena acne prone skincare products. The grapefruit scrub is one of my favorites, as is the redness reducing. Lots of products to play around with with. I just use their sensitive skin moisturizer for a lotion b/c it isn't too heavy for the humidity. For tinted moisturizers with SPF, I like Benefit's. I'm pretty pale, and it's light enough for me. You also might want to look into BB creams, because they're pretty easy multitaskers. Neutrogena has god makeup removing wipes, I always keep them by my bed.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

The best thing I have found for my skin is a very gentle goat milk soap, salicylic acid acne medications (yes to tomatoes, st ives, etc.), and an unscented moisturizer/spf.

For the sunscreen/tint, I just take a glob of sunscreen and add a little non clogging foundation, rub my hands together to blend it, and rub it on my face. Less makeup-y than straight foundation, but less shiny than just spf.

I have to say stay away from Proactiv for a few reasons:

1. As kateh said, it is EXTREMELY drying. I don't have sensitive skin by any means, and it dried my skin out so bad that it was painful. I was only using it once a day, too.

2. Benzoyl peroxide (the active ingredient in Proactiv) increases sensitivity to the sun. I never sunburned at all until I started using a benzoyl peroxide product. I read the warning about increased risk of sunburn, but I thought (like an idiot) that they meant just on areas where you had used the medication. Nope. It gets absorbed through your skin and makes ALL of your skin more susceptible to sunburn. Found that one out when I put sunscreen on my face, but didn't put any anywhere else. I was out in the sun for 2 hours during a ride. I'm used to speding all day every day during the spring, summer, and fall in the sun; and I normally have skin that tans but doesn't burn. It took about 3 MONTHS of not using benzoyl peroxide before my sun sensitivity went away.

3. Should you buy Proactiv and end up unhappy with it, good luck getting them to leave you alone. I bought online, decided after one shipment that I wasn't going to be buying any more, so I cancelled. Three weeks later my credit card is billed and another shipment shows up. I call, tell them I don't want this I'm sending it back and please reverse the charges. They said they would, but then the next month another shipment. I called and emailed several more times over the course of about 2 months, and continued to send back everything they sent. Finally I disputed it with my credit card company, who refunded my money. Then Proactiv sent me a bill for all of the shit they had shipped me that I sent back unopened; when I said I wasn't going to pay because I cancelled my subscription and sent everything back they threatened to send me to collections. It took me getting an attorney to write a letter along with sending in copies of all of the emails I had sent; dates and times of phone calls, along with who I talked to; and receipts for sending all of their stuff back that they finally dropped it
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I love Origins skincare products. For a great, balanced facewash, try Origins Checks and Balances (http://www.origins.com/product/3853/...index.tmpl?%3f). Most facewashes either don't clean my skin well enough or dry it out too much, both of which causes my skin to get oily during the day. NOT this stuff!

I've also recently started using their facial toner called Zero Oil (http://www.origins.com/product/3861/...int/index.tmpl) which I like a lot. I have a difficult time finding moisturizers that don't muck up my pores, so toners are a happy medium for me.

One moisturizer I *have* had good luck with (that also has an SPF) is Origins Brighter by Nature (http://www.origins.com/product/3858/...zer/index.tmpl). Was not heavy on my skin and left my face feeling soft but not greasy.

As with all Origins products, a little goes a LONG way! I was a little off-put by the prices at first, but the products last so long that they don't feel that expensive in the long run. Origins stores are great about providing free samples too, so I would suggest trying out some different products that way and finding what works for you.

As far as face wipes for cleaning make-up, I use Target brand exfoliating facial wipes. They are just like the Ponds facial wipes, only cheaper
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Okay, so no ProActiv, haha.

Any other suggestions? Sounds like I'm gonna go on a shopping spree...

If you are red haired and fair skinned, and get acne, check into the possibility that you may actually have rosacea instead of standard acne. In that case using regular acne treatments may make your condition worse instead of better (I'm wondering if this is why your father has it still). Check out Paula's Choice treatments and advice for handling Rosacea, and see if that makes your skin feel better/less irritated. I can't touch benzoyl peroxide, for example (but salcylic acid helps)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    If you are red haired and fair skinned, and get acne, check into the possibility that you may actually have rosacea instead of standard acne. In that case using regular acne treatments may make your condition worse instead of better (I'm wondering if this is why your father has it still). Check out Paula's Choice treatments and advice for handling Rosacea, and see if that makes your skin feel better/less irritated. I can't touch benzoyl peroxide, for example (but salcylic acid helps)
    Interesting. I don't think I have rosacea though... I get actual pimples, not redness. Dad too.

I'm 30 and have super sensitive skin (a top doc in dermatology told me I may as well "build myself a bubble and live in it" because I was allergic to the world and he couldn't help me...ummm thanks?) and tend to react to everything.

Last year I moved to BC and have not had clear skin since...super frustrating! (I've never had acne in my life, not even as a teen) I've tried everything and 2 weeks ago I literally GAVE UP. I stopped washing my face except in the shower every morning (with dove bar soap) and moisturizing only with body lotion (Lubriderm) and surprise surprise, my face is clear! (obviously, this isn't a long term thing, but for now I'm enjoying the acne free face!)

2) I second the baby wipes. I use them for everything. They don't dry out my skin and work really well. They even remove the water proof mascara I use.

3) I have found that I love Physician's Formula makeup...it's very lightweight and covers so well!

[QUOTE=over the moon;6632825]
    1.MaryKay zit cream is a MIRACLE worker, I've also seen a few homemade remedies on Pinterest, but can't attest to their workings

2. I'm horrible about this too, as long as you wash it off in the AM you should be okay. The main thing you need to worry about, especially with fair skin is that you moisturize (neck included) EVERY day.

3. BB Cream. Almost every brand makes it at most price-points. It is a tube that squirts like moisturizer and has SPF and is tinted. Covers like a light concealer, and moisturizes. I did a test sample of Loreal's and it was crazy how awesome it was!

4..Cant' go wrong with Oil of Olay - that's what I use for everything
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

I'm lucky to have clear skin, but I'm also very fair and sensitive to most moisturizers. I'm 26, and have been using anti-aging moisturizers/eye creams for a few years and have found that the Olay products have been my favourite. They're light, not oily, don't clog my pores and seem to work. No wrinkles yet!

I use the Total Effects 7x Visible Anti-Aging Moisturizing Complex (Link) and the Anti-Aging Booster Eye Transforming Cream (Link). Since you want some colour and SPF in there, you should check out the Total Effects Daily Anti-Aging UV Moisturizer Plus Touch of Foundation Cream (Link) .

Heading to Walmart for costume supplies tomorrow (we're doing grown up Halloween on Friday), and going to look into some of these suggestions.

Keep 'em coming.

I bought this stuff last year originally for my awful body acne (I think a side effect of the humid climate I lived in) but my boyfriend uses it on his breakouts and it is killer effective.

Also high-quality. No complaints so far.

http://www.collectivewellbeing.com/b...body-wash.html

Also I am really bummed at how little awareness there is about harmful beauty products and the toxins they contain. This site is a great resource to help you pick out some safer products. I'm really not surprised at the reports of drying with Proactiv--all that benzoyl peroxide is horrible for skin!

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/