The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Unusual causes for quidding? Diagnostics and treatment?

Does anyone have experience with unusual quidding in their horses? Not just because the horse needs normal floating or is an older horse. Maybe a broken tooth or an infection? How did you diagnose, and how did you treat?

Lightbulb

You have your vet out to examine his mouth, and you treat according to cause.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Yes, sorry, I did mean possibilities after the vet examined the mouth. What might the vet find? Can you always tell that a tooth is cracked just by looking? What symptoms would you see with a tooth abscess? Do you need to x-ray? How do you decide if the tooth needs to be pulled? Do you need antibiotics? Can you tell if there is a TMJ or arthritis problem?

My 2yr old filly is quidding badly at the moment and can't really chew/eat hay. She has 6 diastema's (gaps in teeth), they are very sore and inflammed, 5 were widenend last Tues but still quidding at the moment even while on Metacam. Another mare, 17yrs was losing weight but eating okay, she has 4 diastema's so they were flushed out and packed with dental putty 4 weeks ago and she has rapidly put weight back on. I have another horse who had a cracked tooth couple of years ago, he hadnt eaten his overnight haynet and was drooling a lot. Vet removed the cracked part and he was then eating okay, had no problems since.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure your vet is lovely and i don't mean anything bad. But I've had more than one vet tell me, "I got like 2 days of dentistry. Use a dentist. I'll administer the drugs, but I just don't know teeth taht well."

So my advice would be to get a good equine dentist involved. If your horse is quidding, aside from some sort of rare neuro issue, he has a dentition issue and you probably need someone to see it who is more well versed.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie10 View Post
    My 2yr old filly is quidding badly at the moment and can't really chew/eat hay. She has 6 diastema's (gaps in teeth), they are very sore and inflammed, 5 were widenend last Tues but still quidding at the moment even while on Metacam.
    This is a extremely destructive approach for a two year olds mouth. Sounds like diastema is the diagnosis du jour. Young teeth are easily harmed by aggressive filing. IME youngsters needs help popping caps and light float to balance their newly emerging teeth and rarely do they need more.

OP. quidding is usually seen in older horses with few functioning teeth which then leaves them incapable of properly chewing their hay. Some geriatrics are benefitted by a conservative floating of any sharp or high spots. Conservative is the key. Otherwise it's rare to see a younger horse quidding. Could he have suffered any trauma to his jaw or mouth?

1 members found this post helpful.

A lot depends on how well the vet looked at the horse and how good the vet is with dentistry. If you have a choice, certainly find a vet that specializes in dentistry. If you can't find a vet that specializes in dentistry, call around and find a vet that knows how to fill cavities, treat periodontal pockets, and diastimas. If when you call around the vet can't treat those basic things then call another vet. Don't bother with these dentists that don't sedate as you can't do most of those treatments without sedation and a lot of people working in horses mouths don't even know how to fill cavities in horses. It certainly could be a broken tooth but I would ask your vet that looked at the horse before if they used a probe and mirror to check for cavities and periodontal pockets. Hope that helps.