The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hanoverian Inspection/Futurity

For those that participated in the AHS newly implemented Futurity for yearlings and two year olds did you receive your score cards and comments on the horses at the inspection site? TIA

In theory, participants should receive the Futurity score sheet at the inspection site. Because this was the first year the Futurities were added to the schedule, it was a learning experience. Not all score sheets were distributed at the sites. However, each horse in a Futurity class will receive a score card from the Central Office in the near future.
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    (former)Chair, USSHBA Positive ID Working Group; USSHBA Steering Committe member

Quote Originally Posted by sylvan farm View Post
    In theory, participants should receive the Futurity score sheet at the inspection site. Because this was the first year the Futurities were added to the schedule, it was a learning experience. Not all score sheets were distributed at the sites. However, each horse in a Futurity class will receive a score card from the Central Office in the near future.
    And based on a conversation on Facebook, not all sites announced the scores out loud. At the site I went to, they announced all the scores and overall score out loud, but not at other sites (ie, was not consistent).

EllenAspen is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for the responses...we received no feedback at all at the inspection we attended so I was curious as to the other's experience. It was disappointing to prepare, transport, etc the horses for the futurity to have no feedback. We didn't even know in what order they placed the horses that day.

I don't know how you can value the end results with so many variables in judging the horses entered in the Futurity around the country. Different judges...different protocols...etc

Same way each mare is judged. There is no difference. The futurity horses are compared to other futurity horses around the country.

My filly's scores were not announced but they did talk about her. It was a very positive experience and I hope there are more entries in the future.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    Same way each mare is judged. There is no difference. The futurity horses are compared to other futurity horses around the country.

My filly's scores were not announced but they did talk about her. It was a very positive experience and I hope there are more entries in the future.
    However, the all the futurity horses around the country are competing for one pot of money. Different judges, policies, methods of conducting the futurity and disseminating the results.

The mares are just being evaluated to determine if they meet the standards to be in the book for AHS. They are competing with mares within that inspection site for champion mare...they are not competing with mares across the country to determine which are the champion or reserve of all the mares that have competed in the event all across the country with all the variables that that will bring.

Additionally, when the mares are judged you receive a very explicit explanation of the judges determinations, reasons for their determinations and a score sheet. You come away with knowing how your horses have done as per the judges determinations.

Quote Originally Posted by EllenAspen View Post
    However, the all the futurity horses around the country are competing for one pot of money. Different judges, policies, methods of conducting the futurity and disseminating the results.

The mares are just being evaluated to determine if they meet the standards to be in the book for AHS. They are competing with mares within that inspection site for champion mare...they are not competing with mares across the country to determine which are the champion or reserve of all the mares that have competed in the event all across the country with all the variables that that will bring.

Additionally, when the mares are judged you receive a very explicit explanation of the judges determinations, reasons for their determinations and a score sheet. You come away with knowing how your horses have done as per the judges determinations.
    Well, technically, the judges are trained by the Hanoverian Verband and should be decently consistent (probably about as consistent as USDF judges). So it should not matter all that much who judged the Futurity. And people/breeders do compete for top mare of the year (or top 20 mares), so most breeders I know do not just think of the score at the individual inspection, but would like to get a higher score for the overall mare placing (which is posted and in the AHS book each year).

That being said, I have heard from the head of the AHS that scores were supposed to be announced and that score sheets were definitely supposed to be handed out. That is too bad that it didn't happen at your site EllenAspen, but it is a new program and I am sure that Edgar will make sure all the judges know to announce and hand out sheets next year.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ellen,

We were at the same inspection and while we only had a mare there, we were less than impressed with the whole experience as well. We were quite disappointed and will probably avoid inspections in the future.

I know that the AHS is very interested in making the inspection experience better. This includes how the inspections are run, feedback on the judges, and tweaking the new futurity program to make it the best it can be. But the Society can't improve if they don't know about what went wrong, or what you think.

Everyone that attended should have been given a copy of this the tour evaluation form: http://www.hanoverian.org/ahs_media/...ation_Form.pdf

I personally know that filling this out on inspection day is usually not at all convenient. Now that some of you have had some time to digest your experience, perhaps now would be a good time to return the form to the office. Your comments are welcome whether they are attributed or anonymous.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I did fill out and send in my evaluation form.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    I know that the AHS is very interested in making the inspection experience better. This includes how the inspections are run, feedback on the judges, and tweaking the new futurity program to make it the best it can be. But the Society can't improve if they don't know about what went wrong, or what you think.

Everyone that attended should have been given a copy of this the tour evaluation form: http://www.hanoverian.org/ahs_media/...ation_Form.pdf

I personally know that filling this out on inspection day is usually not at all convenient. Now that some of you have had some time to digest your experience, perhaps now would be a good time to return the form to the office. Your comments are welcome whether they are attributed or anonymous.
    I also filled out the evaluation form and mailed it in...