The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

progression of relationships.... go from (1) casual acquaintance (you say hello to the building security guy everyday) to (2) getting together to do something fun (where the activity is the focus NOT the person attending (you both love football so you go to a game, maybe with a large group of people. Everyone is going to have fun b/c they are there for the football, not the other person) to (3) Friendship... where 2 people do something together because they want to be with the other person... could be doing anything just as long as its with that one other person... graduates onto (4) Romantic Involvement..... emotion and physical aspect involved.

Now unhealthy relationships typically go through the above stages in a week.....or a night or a weekend. A Healthy relationship will take time, lots of time and people will move through at their own pace.

So point being I think the best advise is to go out and do stuff, meet people the rest will fall into place.

I met tons of men when I did activities that both women and men do, but the population was disproportionally made up of men. Ie white water raft guide and white water kayaking.

3 members found this post helpful.

OKCupid worked for me, but it took time to find someone I hit it off with. I met a lot of great people through that site -- including my horsey fiance. It can be done!! (And yes, the dating world is absolutely awful)
    - JK Sporthorses -

I ran across this ad:

Tall, single, owns two warmbloods, dressage rider, finds music for horses, financially sound, posts horsey pics and videos on horse forums.

Had this pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partners.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	37091

Probably an internet scammer.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

2 members found this post helpful.

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

Oh snap, Snicklefritz. You made me laugh too hard and now my lap-cat has forsaken me. I wonder if he has a brother?
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    Ah, I see now the photo I posted was photoshopped! Glad Snickles caught that!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

no, you're just saying that because you don't want people to think you actually did do western dressage on your WB.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmm, where's that "bad post" button?

What NRB is saying is very valid, and it's one of my major criticisms of online dating sites. You are on there for one purpose - to find a Date with a capital "D" and there is a tendency to want to skip the initial steps. Or to treat it as a shopping site - don't like the merchandise? There is always another store/bargain around the corner. Whereas when you're hanging out with a group of friends (and this is only my TOTALLY subjective opinion based on what I've been noticing) you begin to notice people - hey, Chuck is actually kind of nice - when we went surfing the other day he had a really nice smile. And while he is NOT someone I would normally notice, I had been hanging out with him enough for him to finally register. Now I found out that he smokes, which removes him from my list immediately, but hey - I got out there.

Proponents of internet dating would say that I wasted my time by talking to someone who smokes, but I don't consider it time wasted, since I'm so new into this. I NEED to build up my confidence in just talking to people and approaching them in real life. The more people I talk to, the more confident I become, and the more comfortable I become dating. I'm naturally pretty outgoing, but my confidence has been kind of thumped by a nasty emotionally abusive relationship, so this is all part of my healing process.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    ...my only insight is that dating is totally absurd and rediculous. Don't take it too seriously, have a sense of humor and don't take anything that happens personally. I hope you find your prince soon and only have to kiss a few frogs to find him! I'm still knee deep in the swamp myself...
    Nothing to add to Snowflake's great advice; but I just had to reiterate this... as another single lady, I can totally relate. We're in the same boat, er, swamp; Snowflake!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

"
    *Willie Sutton was a '30s era bank robber. When a reporter asked him why he robbed banks his answer was, "Because that's where the money is." "

Or in more modern terms: "Follow the Money"
    No, not "follow the money." That's too narrow a lesson. Rather, it means "Go where the environment is target rich!"

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    No, not "follow the money." That's too narrow a lesson. Rather, it means "Go where the environment is target rich!"

G.
    The two quotes are basically the same. Why the snark?

Funny, funny thread. Great read. Next off topic day report in on how it went.

I want the guy in uniform!

Why is that?
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    I want the guy in uniform!
    I'm also a sucker for a guy in uniform (dated a cop/former army/fellow ROTC cadet in college.... have dated several military, including an ex-fiance.... XH is a firefighter/paramedic as well as being former miliary). I might be stalking Mike if he lived near me.

Did I mention nice neighbor spent 8 years in the Navy, mostly doing S&R dives?
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    I'm also a sucker for a guy in uniform (dated a cop/former army/fellow ROTC cadet in college.... have dated several military, including an ex-fiance.... XH is a firefighter/paramedic as well as being former miliary). I might be stalking Mike if he lived near me.

Did I mention nice neighbor spent 8 years in the Navy, mostly doing S&R dives?
    You should keep that to yourself in the dating world. It's considered a deal-breaking red flag by those men who are not in law enforcement or the military and those who are in either field will use it to their advantage to get what they want from you or keep you at arm's length.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Navy S & R? Oh be still my heart!!!

Only thing is with your neighbor, if you do wind up dating and things go south or he turns out to be a psycho, you live across the street!!! Yikes!

I may be attracted to men in uniform but I avoid them like the plague. Mostly adrenaline junkies in my experience, not the warm fuzzy types from TV! LOL!
    ? Albert Einstein

Why stalk Mike? OUR Mike M????
    ? Albert Einstein

The two quotes are basically the same. Why the snark?
    No, they are not basically the same. Why do you assume "snark?"

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Apparently we need a Snark Button....
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    You should keep that to yourself in the dating world. It's considered a deal-breaking red flag by those men who are not in law enforcement or the military and those who are in either field will use it to their advantage to get what they want from you or keep you at arm's length.
    Well, it certainly isn't something I tell anyone right when I meet them. Just happens to be that I tend to like the personality type of men who typically find themselves in uniform. I wore a uniform for quite a few years so I guess I just "get" it. But again... not something I would advertise. If I like a guy, I like a guy. If I don't, I don't. My roommate happens to be ex military. No way I'd date him.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike