The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 125
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,345

    Default

    I hate the thumbs, bigtime.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec. 7, 2001
    Location
    Cullowhere?, NC
    Posts
    8,578

    Default

    I bagged my first thumbs-down this morning. I realize the inherent risks in identifying the thumbs-downer, but I'd also like to know if they downed it because they think I'm wrong--actually, that would be good news. But I guess I'll never know ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

    Spay and neuter. Please.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    11,672

    Default

    There is for sure a curiosity associated with getting a thumbs down. I have one so far and I read the post that I got it for and was not sure at all what it was for. Then I decided it did not matter. Certainly not something I will lose sleep over.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,345

    Default

    I just don't need to see a zillion notifications anytime I log on. I stopped even clicking. Which i assume means I will miss *real* notifications (like for PMs).
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Thanks for the thumbs down, guys!

    If we have to have thumbs up or down, I would think it would be a hell of a lot better if we can see WHO is liking/not liking the posts. I would be more inclined to read or not read a post depending on who thought it useful or not useful. A seasoned, well known and well respected poster weighing in? Okay, might be interesting. Some of the equally well known but NOT well respected users? Might be a good reason to skip the whole thing.
    I´m a member of a Retriever forum in Germany and there we have this thumbs up thing (ok you can `like`a post). And the interesting thing is that in that forum you can see who likes your post. In many ways this is useful as it keeps people to repeat things over and over again. Also it shows which posts are really appreciated.
    The funny thing is that because of the `like`icon you can tell who is associated with who... Really if you spend some time evaluating the Liking Habits of people you can tell who is follower of who...
    I don´t know if this bad or useful or something else, but it gives more transparency to the board. But of course in that forum many people know each other by real. So probably that is a different situation....
    And by the way, our profile shows how many likes we got for how many posts.....
    Sample: Manni01 679 likes in 3400 posts
    But I´m not sure whether these statistics really show whether you are a valuable member of the forum
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2009
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Take a look at the McLain Ward article thread in H/J. LOTS of thumbs downing going on over there. Is it accomplishing anything? Certainly doesn't seem to be.

    I can live with thumbs up if people like it. I still feel like thumbs down is childish, cowardly, and inappropriate.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post

    I can live with thumbs up if people like it. I still feel like thumbs down is childish, cowardly, and inappropriate.
    I said as much. Which probably generated half the negs!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct. 24, 2012
    Posts
    52

    Default

    I don't like the option either, I think it's childish. I would like it better if it said the person's name like "poster X dislikes your comment". I also think people would be using it in a smarter way if they had to assume their opinions each time they clicked on it.
    On the other hand, I kind of like the idea that if someone gets 30 thumbs down for 1 post, they'll realize they've probably said something pretty stupid/unethical/offensive...


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    11,672

    Default

    I think being so upset about a thumbs down is very childish. Far more childish than the thumbs down itself is.

    It gives people the ability to disagree with out having to post a long speech. Same as the thumbs up give people the ability to agree with out posting a long speech.

    Shrug.

    To me it is one of those options that if you do not like it, ignore it.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2009
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    It gives people the ability to disagree with out having to post a long speech. Same as the thumbs up give people the ability to agree with out posting a long speech.
    And I contend that people who want to make a big long speech are going to do it anyway. A "thumbs up" isn't going to satisfy them.

    I'll ignore it -- or I would if I didn't get a big bold blue NOTIFICATIONS alert at the top of the page.

    If CoTH lets me turn it off on my posts I'll shut up. But until then I'm going to keep voicing my opinion that I do not like it. (Or, in the common tongue, "thumbs DOWN.")


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2012
    Location
    South Range, WI
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Why is it anonymous? I've seen it on other forums but you have to "own up" to your ratings because your name is listed there for all to see whether you "like" or "dislike" a post.

    One forum I'm a member of has just thumbs up and I like it. It's kind of neat to have people give you a thumbs up. It's not anonymous, though.

    Another forum has thumbs up and thumbs down, not anonymous. It's okay... but there are people who abuse the system and just go and give thumbs down to EVERY single post by certain members just because they don't like what they have to say in ONE thread.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I think being so upset about a thumbs down is very childish. Far more childish than the thumbs down itself is.

    It gives people the ability to disagree with out having to post a long speech. Same as the thumbs up give people the ability to agree with out posting a long speech.

    Shrug.

    To me it is one of those options that if you do not like it, ignore it.
    It's not so much getting either of the thumbs that bothers me (though it seems contrary to the purpose of a DISCUSSION board to have an opinion but refuse to engage in DISCUSSION) but the darn notifications. I don't want to have to click on something and parse through meaningless good/bad ratings to find out if I have a PM. It's annoying.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    11,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I don't want to have to click on something and parse through meaningless good/bad ratings to find out if I have a PM. It's annoying.
    You make it sound like they are one long list and you have to find your PMs amongst the ratings. Being a little dramatic are you?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2001
    Location
    Almost Aiken
    Posts
    2,620

    Default

    Go to Settings on the blue bar at the top of any page.

    Look to the left.

    Click Inbox

    Voila, all your PMs


    Also, you can set it so you get a pop up and/or email notification when someone PMs you. No need to add to the fainting and hand-wringing.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You make it sound like they are one long list and you have to find your PMs amongst the ratings. Being a little dramatic are you?
    They don't go away (at least for me). It is a big long list! And nonsensical too, because it's just a number and then "good" or "bad." I don't know which thread (because the numbers aren't meaningful to me) unless I click.

    And saje, I realize how to get to my inbox. That's not my point. When I see I have a "notification" I have no way of knowing if that's for a PM, which I *do* want to read or for stupid thimbing which I don't want to see. I can't determine that until I click the notifications. It's a waste of time for me. And it doesn't clear until you do so.

    I think y'all are being a little dramatic (and is namecalling necessary?) I have neither fainted nor wrung a hand. But I am expressing my opinion-- I hate the thumbs feature and find the notifications highly annoying
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    11,672

    Default

    When you access the notification and see the list the notification goes away. You do not need to check out each good and bad for there to no longer be a notification at the top of the page. In other words, it is easy. Click notification and poof any confusion if you have a PM or a thumbs up/down rating is taken care of and you move on.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,345

    Default

    I just want to turn the notification off so I don't have to click unecessarily. That's all I'm saying. I don't need to see a notification that takes me to a screen with a big useless list of numbers. I only want to see a notification if I have a PM, because I don't care about the thumbs and don't need to be told every 5 seconds when someone anonymously agrees or doesn't agree with something.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1 View Post
    We've debated the thumbs down option as well, for many of the reasons already discussed on this thread, so we decided to institute it as a trial. We can easily remove it, so let's see how people use it and like or dislike it, and we'll be happy to reevaluate its inclusion later.

    Feel free to continue discussing it here.

    Thanks!
    Mod 1
    And FWIW, the above is why I continue to discuss it. The mods ASKED us to try the feature and report back about how we like/don't like it. Which is exactly what I am doing.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,929

    Default

    I'm with vxf111 in this argument. The notifications are annoying, and while they do sort of "go away" once you click and see them, when you get another, they are all there again on the list...so the list just keeps growing. And since e-mail notification for PMs and subscribed threads are not currently working, I don't know yet if all these notifications will eventually generate e-mails as well. If so, that will double the annoyance!

    I don't like the thumbs, but if they remain, I would want a way to opt out of the notifications for them. That seems simple and I don't see the argument on the other side ("no, you MUST be notified! Because...."??).

    I mean really, look at all the arguments and complaints started just over the thumbs so far on other threads? Most notably in the few OT threads I've hazarded to read. Do we really need that?



  20. #60
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,345

    Default

    I seem to be the biggest "thumb hater" and now I've being accused of giving people red thumbs. Which makes me... hate the thumbs even more. If people wanna neg, they should have the spine to do it with their screen name. I don't want to be accused of neging people I disagree with. That's contrary to what I think the whole purpose of this board is to do (engage in discussion).

    Who knew I'd have such strong feelings about a pretend internet digit. LOL.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Can we discuss "lever" nosebands?
    By yellowbritches in forum Eventing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Sep. 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
  2. "Bite Free" fly traps--two BIG thumbs up!
    By deltawave in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Aug. 12, 2012, 08:44 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Apr. 25, 2010, 09:46 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2009, 11:42 AM
  5. Replies: 36
    Last Post: May. 21, 2009, 07:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •