The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with everyone else...time to go! You must be a saint to have dealt w/ this for as long as you have. Now you're at the point that its time to stand up for yourself and your horse. Sounds like this situation will end w/ someone getting hurt, it's just a matter of time.
    Hope you're able to find a much better situation. You definitely do not deserve to be treated like this!

Sounds to me like it is time to go. Why would you waste your money lessoning with someone who isn't even focused on teaching you during your lessons? The barn doesn't sound like a pleasant place to be, either. It's disrespectful and unprofessional that she allows her daughter to treat you so rudely and behave so dangerously.

Regarding your god-daughter, there are liability issues regarding minors that are more complicated than for adult horse owners, so having your god-daughter there (signed release or not) does add extra liability for your BO. A lawyer could expand on this better, but my understanding is that releases must be signed by the kid's parents and even then releases do not offer as much liability protection when kids are involved. So I can understand a BO being uncomfortable with clients bringing other people's kids out to the barn. That having been said, many barns are more relaxed about this kind of a situation.

Your so-called trainer's attitude and behavior is less than professional.
    Add to the mix an out of control kid with issues and I would be out of there in a NY minute.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    Good lord - that's a nightmare situation on SEVERAL counts. GET OUT OF THERE! A cowbarn with no trainer would be better/safer.

Carol
    Agreed! (and I live on a dairy farm). I would definitely look for another place before things get worse.....
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

What a weird situation. I'd have been out of there with any one of these problems.
    Are you REALLY wondering if you should leave? REALLY?
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Get out. Yesterday. Seriously, heed the advice of others and move ASAP. Child issues aside, if your trainer doesn't care about you and your progress, then what's the point of being there? And regarding that horrendous child, if they refuse to discipline her, then anytime she messed with me, I probably WOULD, which then would likely land me in jail and no little heathen is worth that. I'm guessing, however, that the kid might have some issues that she needs to be treated for, but if not, then she needs the fear of God instilled in her. Also, her mother needs to fix this behavior NOW, otherwise I would think it would ultimately affect her business...if mom's lack of interest and attentiveness to her students doesn't.

I'd leave. I'd also be inclined to tell the trainer/BO/BM that the care is great, the facilities are nice, but your kid is such an out of control brat that I can't stand it here any longer. Perhaps she should consider a retroactive abortion.

Holy hell. With a demon spawn like that, and no one willing to control her, that is reason enough for me to be gone quick, fast and in a hurry. I feel for you, that sounds like a giant cluster of a situation
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Gosh, I'd be gone already.

They're worried about your god-daughter grooming a horse while wearing a helmet while the trainer's child writhes underneath your horse with scissons?! That's a special brand of crazy!

Time to move on!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Sounds like the trainer, for whatever reasons, is being somewhat punitive or something since it never bothered her about god-daughter grooming until recently but there is no sense in arguing with her except maybe to say, you're fine w/ gd not helping you groom as you are a bit concerned now anyway since trainer's heathen seems to think it's okay to have tantrums underneath your saint of a horse. Sounds like you have hit an impasse w/ this trainer and might be time to move along; hopefully the next barn will be a better situation. Its so hard to switch barns as often it's hard to find the right fit. Best of luck to you

Run, Forrest, run! This situation ain't working out for you, your horse, your riding, nada. Horses cost too much to own to put up with this situation.

In the trainer's (partial) defense gottagray-- OP had a guest out who fell off and got (mildly) hurt and that seems to be what prompted the trainer to institute the "no guests around horses" rule which is penalizing the god-daughter. I think that's a little excessive but I can see where the trainer's coming from there. What I cannot understand is why she turns a blind eye to her own daughter's disturbing and dangerous behavior and why she doesn't treat the OP like a client she cares about anymore.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

I am flabbergasted at what people will tolerate. Flee! Flee months ago!

RUN!!!

Based on the daughter's behavior alone -- If you're not on the forum now, I hope you are checking out other barns at this very moment. Having the child steal from you and refuse to give even important items back (car keys)? That's ridiculous. Shouldn't be touching so much as a brush of yours without permission, but then to run and refuse to give things back? And SCISSORS around your horse? And getting under your horse? And riding her horse into others? Get out as in YESTERDAY.

The other stuff would at least be having me look for another trainer. But little Poopsie the daughter? Isn't going to get better with a mother that permissive. Is only going to get worse and more dangerous to your horse, yourself, herself, and others as she gets older.
    Sometimes I counter defrost!

Keep us updated! I hope you were able to find a new barn. I know that moving barns is stressful and scary, especially considering how long you've been there, and it might require an uncomfortable confrontation that could be awkward/upsetting, but believe me it will be worth it. You are doing the right thing!! For you and horsie.

Another vote that the daughter's behavior would be enough to make me leave.

OH My GOSH!! That brat would have me over the edge. I don't know how you are still with this trainer. GO for your own sanity. And afterward, please print out the first post in this thread and let her have it to read. MORON.